• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anxiety medication and Virginia Gun ownership

love4guns

My dad is getting ready to retire and is under a great deal of stress and pressure at work. He is considering taking a mild anxiety to help him sleep and get through to his retirement which is in August. I told him before you do let me make sure there's no laws saying he can no longer OC due to taking anxiety meds. Is there a Va prescription database that gets scan when buying a gun? This isn't a mental illness but give the gun grabbers an inch and they snatch a mile. Any and all info would help.

Last edited:

crazydude6030

I have been on meds for that for a year or so and just bought a 44 mag last week. From what I can tell he should be fine.

However, those meds can mess with a man so don't carry for a few weeks when adjusting. Just some advice. :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

love4guns

I have been on meds for that for a year or so and just bought a 44 mag last week. From what I can tell he should be fine.

However, those meds can mess with a man so don't carry for a few weeks when adjusting. Just some advice. :)

Thanks!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My dad is getting ready to retire and is under a great deal of stress and pressure at work. He is considering taking a mild anxiety to help him sleep and get through to his retirement which is in August. I told him before you do let me make sure there's no laws saying he can no longer OC due to taking anxiety meds. Is there a Va prescription database that gets scan when buying a gun? This isn't a mental illness but give the gun grabbers an inch and they snatch a mile. Any and all info would help.

There is no such data base at this time.

However their is a bill before the GA that could have a similar impact.

HB 2263, Krupicka, allows the police to confiscate the guns of someone who a mental health professional feels might be a threat to their life or the lives of others, based solely on the word of said professional. VCDL STRONGLY OPPOSES

HB 2263 will be heard in the evening on Thursday at 5 PM in the Militia, Police, and Public Safety subcommittee #1 meeting in the 4th Floor West Conference Room of the General Assembly Building.

Expect it will go down in flames.

moriar

as crazy said above,

No issue with the prescriptions, however like all meds of this nature avoid use of heavy machinery ( aka gun ) initially. Sometimes the anxiety meds have bad reactions.

If he has been taking it already for a while and has adjusted to the medications then no problem carrying imho.

As to the question of if VA takes a look, I dont believe so, but i would assume with the new measures coming federally this might be looked at and scrutinized.

crazydude6030

as crazy said above,

No issue with the prescriptions, however like all meds of this nature avoid use of heavy machinery ( aka gun ) initially. Sometimes the anxiety meds have bad reactions.

If he has been taking it already for a while and has adjusted to the medications then no problem carrying imho.

As to the question of if VA takes a look, I dont believe so, but i would assume with the new measures coming federally this might be looked at and scrutinized.

This is a fear I have that suddenly I will be forced between being "normal" or having panic attacks when driving. Granted driving in nova can do that to anyone lol

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Dad should really look into these drugs first. They monkey with the brain's chemistry. Here is a psychiatrist who doesn't buy into his industry's hype about these drugs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARZ2Wv2BoFs

Also, there's no telling about how the psych will evaluate his symptoms. Psychiatry is notoriously arbitrary. There's video on YouTube where an undercover somebody with a camera hidden in a hand bag went to several different psych's and they all gave differing diagnoses.

Almost anything is going to be a better solution than these drugs. Long walks, relaxation exercises, meditation, etc.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Almost anything is going to be a better solution than these drugs. Long walks, relaxation exercises, meditation, etc.

I am surprised and disappointed!

You left out recoil therapy and prolonged exposure to combusted smokeless powder.

If the OP's father can find a range that allows it, bring a stuffed Barney or Grover or Dora the Explorer doll. Do clean up afterwards, but leave the very small pieces for the birds and rodents to use as nesting material.:D

stay safe.

kenny

The OP stated two different medical issues. #1. Anxiety and #2 trouble sleeping. Sleeping medication is no big issue. Anxiety is another story. I urge you to have your Dad speak with a medical doctor and have them suggest the best approach. Another choice is taking a beta blocker, which is nothing more than a blood pressure reducer. Perhaps this "anxiety" is all blood pressure related. Frequently beta blockers are prescribed to performers to help take the edge off before a performance. I call them butter fly reducers. They help get rid of the perceived butterflies in ones stomach.

Whatever he decides it may take his body a few days or weeks to get use to the medication. In my situation having something to help me sleep on those stressful days fixed me right up.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I don't claim to be a medical professional at all. Whether or not he chooses to take something is between him and his doctor. And you've already learned there is no database.

What I will say is that you've been given good advice about keeping a wary eye until the body adjusts to the new chemistry. I would also caution you that the other end is also true ... if/when one stops taking these medications there can also be serious differences in behavior and attitude.

OC for ME

A cool frosty friendly, administered six times a day, in 12 oz doses, knocks the edge off and addresses most sleep related issues. Trust me, I'm in pre-med.