Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UVA-Wise Campus....on lockdown

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

UVA-Wise Campus....on lockdown

The campus website has the following message:
    http://www.wise.virginia.edu/

• 9:28pm - The college is currently in a lockdown due to an alleged gunman on campus. Find a safe place and stay put! Lock all doors until further notice!

• 10:08pm - Lock down continues. Alleged gunman on campus. Stay put, lock all doors until further notice!
    I sure hope this is a Chicken Little sighting.

I sure hope they have signs everywhere telling people to check the website.

But wait, isn't there already a sign preventing a gunman?
    Last edited by MAC702; 01-23-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Nothing of substance being reported - not shots fired - nada. Hoax or real? Will just have to wait it out at this point.

http://www.examiner.com/article/uva-...nman-on-campus
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Widespread media now reporting it was a HOAX.

Student called 911 and reported man with a gun.

I hope someone gets the 911 tape so we can learn how the dispatcher handled the call.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I sure hope this is a Chicken Little sighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Nothing of substance being reported - not shots fired - nada. Hoax or real? Will just have to wait it out at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Widespread media now reporting it was a HOAX.
    Precognative vision or chicken little forcasting - don't care which. Just glad that another Victim Rich Zone was not violated.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-24-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

What does "lockdown" actually mean? Do they have the legal authority to keep students/staff/visitors in their rooms against their will?

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    What does "lockdown" actually mean? Do they have the legal authority to keep students/staff/visitors in their rooms against their will?

Roscoe
    I doubt they do.
    I'm sure they have the GRA's lock the doors to keep everyone out but I'm equally sure people can leave.

Lockdown is another of those "Power Words" the government likes to use...like "High Alert".

I attend ODU and I noticed mid last year they changed the name of their alert system to the ODU Safety Timely Warning.........They want to ensure the timely part to reduce liability in that GFSZ they're runnin'!

In any case, I am certain I would evaluate my options no matter what some clown of a safety directer told me to do. I'm certain sitting in a corner waiting to die isn't always the safest option. I'd rather get shot in the back trying to escape than shot in the front knowing I did nothing. (Of course this is all depending on the situation)
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

Quote Originally Posted by ryan7068 View Post
    I attend ODU and I noticed mid last year they changed the name of their alert system to the ODU Safety Timely Warning.........They want to ensure the timely part to reduce liability in that GFSZ they're runnin'!

In any case, I am certain I would evaluate my options no matter what some clown of a safety directer told me to do. I'm certain sitting in a corner waiting to die isn't always the safest option. I'd rather get shot in the back trying to escape than shot in the front knowing I did nothing. (Of course this is all depending on the situation)
    Not that I am advocating anything illegal here, but a gun unseen...
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Quote Originally Posted by ryan7068 View Post
    The biggest danger at that point might be getting shot or otherwise accosted by some over-zealous campus cop when you had the audacity to not blindly follow the lockdown instructions...

Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Also, what is the penalty for violation of this code? The code doesn't specify a penalty, but authorizes ODU PD to prohibit entry or ask you to leave.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC08065.HTM#C0010

What do you all think?

I have reason to believe it would fall under trespassing laws where you would be required to be asked to leave first....other than that, the only other issue would be privately with the school(expulsion if they're anything like autozone)
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

It was all a hoax!

Some student thought it would be funny to lockdown the campus.

He should be expelled.

http://www.wise.virginia.edu/News/UV...Alleged-Gunman

WISE, Va -- The University of Virginia's College at Wise announced it has lifted the lockdown of campus following a report of an alleged gunman.

A student reported seeing a gunman near one of the residence halls and university officials issued a campus alert shortly before 9:00 p.m EST.

Campus and local law enforcement immediately conducted a building-by-building search. No gunman was identified.

Law enforcement officials interviewed the student who reported seeing the gunman and the student admitted it was a hoax. University officials issued an "all clear" and lifted the campus lockdown at approximately 10:45 p.m. EST. The campus has returned to normal operations.

College officials are investigating the incid

Quote Originally Posted by BillHoo View Post
    It was all a hoax!

He should be expelled.
    And billed for any costs incurred by the university as a result of the bogus report...

Roscoe

All clear!

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe13 View Post
    What does "lockdown" actually mean?

Roscoe
    False Imprisonment.

Goof Ball thought it was funny

Quote Originally Posted by BillHoo View Post
    It was all a hoax!

He should be expelled.
    UVA-Wise student from Martinsville charged in shooter hoax
    The university's police department said Thursday that Bryant Alexander Hairston of Martinsville is charged with falsely summoning law enforcement officials.

Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said police officers from several departments flooded the campus and began a building-by-building search.

Geller said the student confessed while being interviewed by state police agents.

Bryant Alexander Hairston - Goof Ball

I still want to hear the 911 tape. Now that he's charged with a crime they probably won't want to release it.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    That looks like a 3D computer generated image, rather than a photograph - strange that.

This one appears to be genuine.
    http://www.wcyb.com/news/Man-charged...7/-/index.html

Hairston, a sophomore psychology major, won't be allowed on campus pending review of the charges.
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...188239051.html
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-24-2013 at 06:24 PM.

"Find a safe place and stay put."
    That's their advice? Where exactly is a safe place to be when you don't know where the suspected gunman is? RME
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    Also, what is the penalty for violation of this code? The code doesn't specify a penalty, but authorizes ODU PD to prohibit entry or ask you to leave.

What do you all think?
    Section 20 Possession of weapons prohibited

8VAC65-10-20. Possession of weapons prohibited.

Possession or carrying of any weapon by any person, except a police officer, is prohibited on university property in academic buildings, administrative office buildings, student residence buildings, or dining facilities, or while attending sporting, entertainment, or educational events. Entry upon the university property described in this section in violation of this chapter is expressly forbidden.

Statutory Authority

23-49.17 of the Code of Virginia.

now read 23-49.17 http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+23-49.17 23-49.17. Rights, powers and duties of board in general; meetings; rector, vice-rector and secretary; executive committee.
    Can't find "crime/punishment" in here, all they can really do is kick you out, or try to chanrge youwith tresspassing, there is no law IN VA that I know of that will charge you with a crime with gun on college, now its only for K-12 by federal law. I am not lawyer look for yourself.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    That looks like a 3D computer generated image, rather than a photograph - strange that.

This one appears to be genuine.
    http://www.wcyb.com/news/Man-charged...7/-/index.html

Hairston, a sophomore psychology major, won't be allowed on campus pending review of the charges.
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...188239051.html
    I can't help but recall now former UMW President Judy Hample, who did almost the exact same thing, but was not charged. She eventually resigned, and although not officially, I believe this incident played a significant role in that decision.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 01-24-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Section 20 Possession of weapons prohibited

now read 23-49.17 http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+23-49.17 23-49.17. Rights, powers and duties of board in general; meetings; rector, vice-rector and secretary; executive committee.
    Can't find "crime/punishment" in here, all they can really do is kick you out, or try to chanrge youwith tresspassing, there is no law IN VA that I know of that will charge you with a crime with gun on college, now its only for K-12 by federal law. I am not lawyer look for yourself.
    That's what I thought. My feeling is I would rather be expelled than dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast