• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UVA-Wise Campus....on lockdown

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The campus website has the following message:
http://www.wise.virginia.edu/

• 9:28pm - The college is currently in a lockdown due to an alleged gunman on campus. Find a safe place and stay put! Lock all doors until further notice!

• 10:08pm - Lock down continues. Alleged gunman on campus. Stay put, lock all doors until further notice!
I sure hope this is a Chicken Little sighting.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I sure hope they have signs everywhere telling people to check the website.

But wait, isn't there already a sign preventing a gunman?

Last edited:

TFred

Widespread media now reporting it was a HOAX.

Student called 911 and reported man with a gun.

I hope someone gets the 911 tape so we can learn how the dispatcher handled the call.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What does "lockdown" actually mean? Do they have the legal authority to keep students/staff/visitors in their rooms against their will?

Roscoe

I doubt they do.
I'm sure they have the GRA's lock the doors to keep everyone out but I'm equally sure people can leave.

Lockdown is another of those "Power Words" the government likes to use...like "High Alert".

ryan7068

I attend ODU and I noticed mid last year they changed the name of their alert system to the ODU Safety Timely Warning.........They want to ensure the timely part to reduce liability in that GFSZ they're runnin'!

In any case, I am certain I would evaluate my options no matter what some clown of a safety directer told me to do. I'm certain sitting in a corner waiting to die isn't always the safest option. I'd rather get shot in the back trying to escape than shot in the front knowing I did nothing. (Of course this is all depending on the situation)

Esanders2008

I attend ODU and I noticed mid last year they changed the name of their alert system to the ODU Safety Timely Warning.........They want to ensure the timely part to reduce liability in that GFSZ they're runnin'!

In any case, I am certain I would evaluate my options no matter what some clown of a safety directer told me to do. I'm certain sitting in a corner waiting to die isn't always the safest option. I'd rather get shot in the back trying to escape than shot in the front knowing I did nothing. (Of course this is all depending on the situation)

Not that I am advocating anything illegal here, but a gun unseen...

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran

The biggest danger at that point might be getting shot or otherwise accosted by some over-zealous campus cop when you had the audacity to not blindly follow the lockdown instructions...

Roscoe

ryan7068

I have reason to believe it would fall under trespassing laws where you would be required to be asked to leave first....other than that, the only other issue would be privately with the school(expulsion if they're anything like autozone):eek:

BillHoo

It was all a hoax!

Some student thought it would be funny to lockdown the campus.

He should be expelled.

http://www.wise.virginia.edu/News/UVa-Wise-All-Clear-Following-Report-Alleged-Gunman

WISE, Va -- The University of Virginia's College at Wise announced it has lifted the lockdown of campus following a report of an alleged gunman.

A student reported seeing a gunman near one of the residence halls and university officials issued a campus alert shortly before 9:00 p.m EST.

Campus and local law enforcement immediately conducted a building-by-building search. No gunman was identified.

Law enforcement officials interviewed the student who reported seeing the gunman and the student admitted it was a hoax. University officials issued an "all clear" and lifted the campus lockdown at approximately 10:45 p.m. EST. The campus has returned to normal operations.

College officials are investigating the incid

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
terror-all.jpg

Repeater

Goof Ball thought it was funny

It was all a hoax!

Some student thought it would be funny to lockdown the campus.

He should be expelled.

UVA-Wise student from Martinsville charged in shooter hoax
The university's police department said Thursday that Bryant Alexander Hairston of Martinsville is charged with falsely summoning law enforcement officials.

Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said police officers from several departments flooded the campus and began a building-by-building search.

Geller said the student confessed while being interviewed by state police agents.

bryant-alexander-hairston-mugshot-uva-wise-january

[size=+2]Bryant Alexander Hairston - Goof Ball[/size]