Thread: Questions about open carry Hinckley & Delta Utah area

Questions about open carry Hinckley & Delta Utah area

Hello , let me tell a bit about my self.I am a 40 year old male. Born and raised rural all my life. Been around guns all my life, heck learned how to shoot at age 5. First time in my life I feel the need and want to open carry. Reasons are to protect the family but also I think we need more responsible American gun owners setting good examples more now then ever before. I really see our rights more on the chopping block more now then ever before. I did send an email to our local sheriff decker about clarity on open carry with out permit. But no word back. Only reason no permit is I can not afford it just yet. So I came here to ask the right questions.

So my understanding is unloaded is no round in the chamber and 2 mechanical actions like cocking the weapon and disabling safety to arm the weapon.

Clearly visible amounts to the handle visible and able to be recognized as a gun handle.

Courts - schools - any clearly marked no gun business is off limits.

Cop can ask your name and run you to make sure your able to own a weapon. Also they have the right to inspect the weapon to make sure it is unloaded and meets guidelines.

Any other help , advice etc?

Really want to get this right, I think it's so important to set the right impressions . Get the point out in the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam A Farley View Post
    Hello , let me tell a bit about my self.I am a 40 year old male. Born and raised rural all my life. Been around guns all my life, heck learned how to shoot at age 5. First time in my life I feel the need and want to open carry. Reasons are to protect the family but also I think we need more responsible American gun owners setting good examples more now then ever before. I really see our rights more on the chopping block more now then ever before. I did send an email to our local sheriff decker about clarity on open carry with out permit. But no word back. Only reason no permit is I can not afford it just yet. So I came here to ask the right questions.

So my understanding is unloaded is no round in the chamber and 2 mechanical actions like cocking the weapon and disabling safety to arm the weapon.

Clearly visible amounts to the handle visible and able to be recognized as a gun handle.

Courts - schools - any clearly marked no gun business is off limits.

Cop can ask your name and run you to make sure your able to own a weapon. Also they have the right to inspect the weapon to make sure it is unloaded and meets guidelines.

Really want to get this right, I think it's so important to set the right impressions . Get the point out in the right way.
    Welcome to OCDO! Well Adam, you seem to have nailed it, down to and including Courts - schools. I don't believe a LEO has the authority (but he does have the right) to demand ID, but we do have some towns that allow officers to enforce some BS "nuisance ordinance" simply for the audacious act of OC'ing - if they want to press the issue. I'm also not aware of any state law that gives them the right to "inspect" your handgun without Reasonable Suspicion - BUT... I am not a lawyer. A good place to begin your education would be -
    http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/Fir....html#Carrying Pax...
    MOLON LABE
    COUNTRY FIRST
    Glocks ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam A Farley View Post

77-7-15. Authority of peace officer to stop and question suspect -- Grounds.

A peace officer may stop any person in a public place when he has a reasonable suspicion to believe he has committed or is in the act of committing or is attempting to commit a public offense and may demand his name, address and an explanation of his actions.
    A cop has no authority to stop you or ask you anything unless they has Reasonable Articulable Suspicion that you have committed, are about to commit, or are committing a crime. The simple act of carrying a firearm is NOT RAS. There are ample court rulings supporting this. IF a cop has made a legal stop based on RAS, he can take possession of your firearm for officer safety. Unless the crime for which he has stopped you involves the firearm, he has NO authority to inspect or run the serial number of the gun.

I invite you to join the discussions on http://utahconcealedcarry.org , especially the open carry forum. There you will find a variety of in-depth discussions of Utah carry laws by some very knowledgeable participants.

I am not a lawyer, your mileage may vary

Re: Questions about open carry Hinckley & Delta Utah area

Welcome Adam glad you found the Utah forum the fact is lots of people carry here in Utah.

So ask questions and post often I mostly hang out in utahconcealedcarry.com

If I can help you can always call me or direct message me anytime.
    questions comments problems call anytime 8014487574
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

The only one

This area is really crapy for open carry.

I look to be the only one. I get the omg obsess much looks.

Few wise cracks made, cops give ya them I am watching you looks .

Wife was supportive but that is it.

I do know some have concealed permits. But oc is very very frowned on here.

Even got the wise crack, Adam the gun slinger lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah_Patriot View Post
    Welcome Adam glad you found the Utah forum the fact is lots of people carry here in Utah.

So ask questions and post often I mostly hang out in utahconcealedcarry.com

If I can help you can always call me or direct message me anytime.
    questions comments problems call anytime 8014487574
    Thank you, signed up there and waiting on a admin.