• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Well Armed Woman - Northern Virginia Chapter

Steeler-gal

I have recently become the chapter leader for the Northern Virginia Chapter of The Well Armed Woman (www.thewellarmedwoman.com). The group has 52,000+ members nationally. I’m looking forward to increasing that presence here in Virginia. I have created a Meetup Group to make organizing activities and meetings a bit easier. Any woman that is interested in becoming a better skilled, armed woman is welcome to join. It is a women’s only group, but fear not men, we will invite you out to play with us occasionally. :)

http://www.meetup.com/The-Well-Armed-Woman-NOVA-Chapter/

We will be having monthly events for target practice, social gatherings and monthly meetings to discuss a variety of topics that are important to all of us.

I hope all the women here will join and that you will also pass along the link to the Meetup Group.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'll be watching and listening because.......well..,,....frankly, I like women with guns :monkey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You're a funny man! Sadly I am too far south to take part. More power to you!

Be that lone voice in the wilderness. Make them come not only south of the Ni, but South of the James!

And then figure out how to generate interest/participation from all the other Well Armed Women around here. At Lobby Day I saw women going through the search area showing their CHP, and then after they opened up the CHP line more women that I never woulkd have suspected would be gun owners. Some were OCing! They could not all have been from out of town, could they?

stay safe.

Justine

Do you know if any chapters will be/are starting up in Hampton Roads? It'd be nice to have some women to shoot with.

Sanctuary

Want more information

New to site. Thrilled to find this post. Live in Amherst, Co. and would dearly love to connect with other "well armed women". Operate my own animal centered business and as all small biz owners, I barely have time to eat, much less travel a far distance to form community with like minded women. I am hoping that there is a chapter closer to the Amherst/Nelson area or enough individuals nearby to form a chapter. Please contact me to let me know more or if you live in this area.

Though this area is predominately a large gun ownership, shooting enthusiast area, few of the folks you run into are women at ranges and such. I find the attitude of many of the men at these places, towards a female weapons enthusiast, to still be patronizing and paternalistic. Contradictions in women are not well met, often times even by other women. How I would enjoy the company of other women who enjoy shooting for its own sake and who see self reliance, including proficiency with firearms, as desireable female traits.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
New to site. Thrilled to find this post. Live in Amherst, Co. and would dearly love to connect with other "well armed women". Operate my own animal centered business and as all small biz owners, I barely have time to eat, much less travel a far distance to form community with like minded women. I am hoping that there is a chapter closer to the Amherst/Nelson area or enough individuals nearby to form a chapter. Please contact me to let me know more or if you live in this area.

Though this area is predominately a large gun ownership, shooting enthusiast area, few of the folks you run into are women at ranges and such. I find the attitude of many of the men at these places, towards a female weapons enthusiast, to still be patronizing and paternalistic. Contradictions in women are not well met, often times even by other women. How I would enjoy the company of other women who enjoy shooting for its own sake and who see self reliance, including proficiency with firearms, as desireable female traits.

Welcome to OCDO!

I wish you were closer, too.

The things that will stop the patronizing and condescension are knowledge, confidence, and enthusiasm. Sounds like you're on your way. If you want to start something in your area, you might have to reach out to those who have avoided the ranges because of said attitude, but who carry anyway.

Steeler-gal

Welcome to OCDO!
If you think you'd like to be a chapter leader, I can put you in touch with our founder. There is an application that you fill out for her to review and if she likes you she'll make you a chapter lead and you can build a chapter in your area. You may be the catalyst to bring the women out of the woodwork.