• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Does a hunting license afford you to not require a background check?

cmsk

Hope I worded that question clearly. I've heard this claim a have searched for some info on this only to come up with nothing. It is my understanding that any purchase from a FFL dealer requires a BG check.

Many thanks.

--
Chris

brk913

All sales from an FFL require a background check, however, you are exempt from the two week waiting period on long guns and shotguns if you have a pistol permit, hunting license or are active military, LE or a Peace Officer.
Cite: http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap529.htm#Sec29-37a.htm
"The waiting period specified in subsection (a) of this section during which delivery may not be made and the provisions of this subsection shall not apply to any federal marshal, parole officer or peace officer, or to the delivery at retail of (1) any firearm to a holder of a valid state permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued under the provisions of section 29-28 or a valid eligibility certificate issued under the provisions of section 29-36f, (2) any firearm to an active member of the armed forces of the United States or of any reserve component thereof, (3) any firearm to a holder of a valid hunting license issued pursuant to chapter 490, or (4) antique firearms."

cmsk

All sales from an FFL require a background check, however, you are exempt from the two week waiting period on long guns and shotguns if you have a pistol permit, hunting license or are active military, LE or a Peace Officer.
Cite: http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap529.htm#Sec29-37a.htm
"The waiting period specified in subsection (a) of this section during which delivery may not be made and the provisions of this subsection shall not apply to any federal marshal, parole officer or peace officer, or to the delivery at retail of (1) any firearm to a holder of a valid state permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued under the provisions of section 29-28 or a valid eligibility certificate issued under the provisions of section 29-36f, (2) any firearm to an active member of the armed forces of the United States or of any reserve component thereof, (3) any firearm to a holder of a valid hunting license issued pursuant to chapter 490, or (4) antique firearms."

Thank you and greatly appreciated; that's pretty much what I thought -- leave it up to some ignorant progressive liberal to spin his (lack of) understanding in an attempt to make a point in a 'discussion' with me on gun control.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The ffl BR check is on the ffl actually ... if a ffl gives you a gun w/o one, that's on the ffl not you. So don't worry if its not done.

Not all ffls do BR checks 100% of the time .. errors happen.

brk913

Thank you and greatly appreciated; that's pretty much what I thought -- leave it up to some ignorant progressive liberal to spin his (lack of) understanding in an attempt to make a point in a 'discussion' with me on gun control.
Let me guess, the "Gun Show Loophole"........there really is no such thing. All states have their own laws regarding the sales/transfer of firearms, some have different laws for handguns vs. Long Guns. These rules apply in or out of a gun show. Here is what we have in CT. All firearms from a licensed dealer have a background check, for a handgun you also need a permit or eligibility certificate or be law enforcement. For long guns you don't need any special permit or license but if you don't have one you also have to go through a two week wait. From private sellers all handguns can only go to a permit or ec holder or LEO, you are required to call the DPS for an authorization number and send the appropriate paperwork to the various law enforcement agencies. Private sales of long guns and shotguns do not require any paperwork or any type of background check. As long as the seller does not know or have any reason to believe the person he is selling to is ineligible to purchase they can make the sale.

Now, you go out to say Wyoming, private sales of all guns is pretty much unregulated, no background checks, no permits, just cash and carry, dealers still have paperwork to do.: http://cd.textfiles.com/group42/WEAPONS/LAWS/WY.HTM
"PURCHASE

No state permit is required to purchase a rifle, shotgun or handgun.
It is unlawful to sell a handgun to anyone under 21. It is unlawful to sell, barter, or give cartridges designed for use in a handgun to anyone under 16.

A dealer is required to keep a firearms register at his place of business. This register shall contain the date of acquisition of any firearm, the name of the seller, the make, model, caliber and serial number of the firearm, the date of sale and the purchaser's signature. This register shall be subject "to inspection by any peace officer at all reasonable times."

It's not a loophole, it's the laws in other states