Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry filed

Open Carry filed

Bill: HB 700
    Legislative Session: 83(R) Council Document: 83R 2564 JSC-F Add to Bill List | Add to Alert List

Last Action: 01/24/2013 H Filed

Caption Version: Introduced
    Caption Text: Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry the handgun; providing penalties.

Author: Lavender

Subjects: Weapons (I0887)
    CONCEALED HANDGUNS (S0241)
    PUBLIC SAFETY, DEPARTMENT OF (V0251)

Where can this be viewed and followed?

Thanks

If GOV Perry signs this, when could we realisticly see the change?

Thank you.

Very Respectfully,
    Kevin R. Hubbard
    SSG, USA

As I understand this, the bill would go the way of Oklahoma - turning a Concealed Handgun License into a Handgun Carry License?

I really hope this passes, I want to move to Texas.

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    As I understand this, the bill would go the way of Oklahoma - turning a Concealed Handgun License into a Handgun Carry License?

I really hope this passes, I want to move to Texas.
    Without reading all 36 pages of the bill, it appears that is exactly what this bill would do. As much as I like constitutional OC, the fact that it's tied to a permit sure makes it easier to argue...both for the legislation, and for the businesses that ban guns as a result. We have had much success convincing businesses to take down the signs in Oklahoma, because we all have handgun licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by honkytonkrolltide View Post
    If GOV Perry signs this, when could we realisticly see the change?

Thank you.

Very Respectfully,
    Kevin R. Hubbard
    SSG, USA
    If it passes it will take effect on september 1 2013

??????shoulder or belt holster with at least dual points of resistance??????

Quote Originally Posted by richardcranium419 View Post
    ??????shoulder or belt holster with at least dual points of resistance??????
    More than likely going to require "unconcealed" carry to be in a minimum Level II retention holster, but that's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbitone View Post
    You could read that as the handgun must have two points of resistance on it... say top and bottom... In other words carrying on a clip holster which only attaches the gun on one side would not qualify.

It does seem strange specifying that it must be a shoulder or belt holster.... Guess no thigh holsters.... or chest holsters....
    No sure about no thigh holsters... what if the thigh holster is attached to your belt? That should count as a belt holster, no?

Quote Originally Posted by cabbitone View Post
    You could read that as the handgun must have two points of resistance on it... say top and bottom... In other words carrying on a clip holster which only attaches the gun on one side would not qualify.
    I was thinking "minimum Level II retention holster". But I hope it is this ^^^^

What is this? If I decide to conceal a certain day and my gun is printing its still an offense?!?!?!?

(a)AAA license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder ís person
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
    and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun, unless the license
    holder is carrying the handgun in a shoulder or belt holster with at
    least dual points of resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyman007 View Post
    Bill: HB 700
    Legislative Session: 83(R) Council Document: 83R 2564 JSC-F Add to Bill List | Add to Alert List

Last Action: 01/24/2013 H Filed

Caption Version: Introduced
    Caption Text: Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry the handgun; providing penalties.

Author: Lavender

Subjects: Weapons (I0887)
    CONCEALED HANDGUNS (S0241)
    PUBLIC SAFETY, DEPARTMENT OF (V0251)
    If you have not done so, please contact your Representative and Senator and ask them to support the bill. George said he is still looking for a Senate Sponsor. I have sent letters to Todd Hunter to ask for his sponsorship, but have not recieved a reply yet.

If you have not done so, please contact your Representative and Senator and ask them to support the bill.
    Who Represents Me?
    Last edited by ()pen(arry; 01-24-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Lightbulb I just wrote a Letter to my State Senator - Brian Birdwell

If you have not done so, please contact your Representative and Senator and ask them to support the bill. George said he is still looking for a Senate Sponsor. I have sent letters to Todd Hunter to ask for his sponsorship, but have not recieved a reply yet.
    I sent my Senator a letter asking him to sponsor this bill in the Senate and suggested a couple of corrections.
    1. Remove the restriction for only Shoulder or belt holsters
    2. Remove the penalty for 'printing' when carrying concealed.

Open Carry Filed

I also emailed Sen Birdwell asking him to support Rep. Lavender's bill. There is a good chance he will considering that he filed the Campus Protection Act last week
    uncle jed

I just moved from Missouri here, I have a Florida license, will (or do ) I need to get a Texas license?
    GOD gave me rights!!!....The Constitutuion just confirms it!!

I wrote my Senator. Let's hope it passes this time.
    Last edited by Lindfarms; 01-26-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zekester View Post
    I just moved from Missouri here, I have a Florida license, will (or do ) I need to get a Texas license?
    No.

It's nice to see our neighbors to the south trying, and hopefully succeeding in getting this right. I'll be keeping an eye on Texas for awhile. We had a real nice early dinner today, about 40 people all open carrying, at a local barbecue joint. Sure is nice to see so many people enjoying this right. Hope y'all can join us soon.

Our local association (Oklahoma Open Carry Association, OKOCA) created business cards to be handed out to businesses with no gun signs, specifically stating we will not do business with them if they have gun buster signs on their premises. I got 60 of them today, to pass out to businesses, and give to others I know that have licenses. You all should do the same. Be polite when handing them out, no moody encounters.
    Last edited by cbxer55; 01-27-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zajones08 View Post
    What is this? If I decide to conceal a certain day and my gun is printing its still an offense?!?!?!?

(a)AAA license holder commits an offense if the license
    holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder ís person
    under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
    and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun, unless the license
    holder is carrying the handgun in a shoulder or belt holster with at
    least dual points of resistance.
    I was told that this was in because they want OC with the required holster or complete concealed carry. Not a lackadaisical conceal carry. This is there to enforce the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by honkytonkrolltide View Post
    More than likely going to require "unconcealed" carry to be in a minimum Level II retention holster, but that's my guess.
    My understanding is that this was included to help get backing by LE agencies. I find it odd that is states "resistance" and not retention though.

Quote Originally Posted by jferg69 View Post
    I was told that this was in because they want OC with the required holster or complete concealed carry. Not a lackadaisical conceal carry. This is there to enforce the difference.
    This is already causing confusion and the bill hasn't even been passed. IMHO, they should eliminate "concealed" and "non-concealled" all together and just change it to a handgun carry permit/law. I'm originally from TN and that's where I hold my permit. We went from CCP, to HCP in 2005,there is no distinction. There is no real difference between OC and "printing" if we wanna split hairs. Isn't that the point of wanting OC, not to have to worry "Oh, am I "printing"....?" I think the biggest hurdle would be educating John Q. Public of the new laws.

I have emailed Senator Carlos I. Uresti of my district to have him sign on and support, I think he will not....but I will let you know.
    GOD gave me rights!!!....The Constitutuion just confirms it!!

Founder's Club Member
    Just got off the phone with Bryan Smith and Noah Gilliam from Rep. Lavender's office thanking them for filing HB700, but also wanting to clarify the problems with modifying 30.06.

They say that the NRA asked them to make those changes to get the bill passed but they're aware of the problems and will be amending it. I asked for them to either create a separate sign (30.07?) that would apply to only prohibit open carry, or just allow the old gun busters sign to work for now. Having a separate sign for open carry would be an additional annoyance for anti-gun business owners to post up two signs, but also would allow for supporters for concealed carry only to still allow that method of carry without having to ban all forms of carry with a single sign.

When I asked for why they added "or unconcealed" all throughout the penal code instead of just striking 46.035a they said that had come from NRA as well after their experience during the last legislative session, but just needed to get *something* filed early in the process even though they intended to amend it as they went along.

As for the holster requirements, that was done to get support from law enforcement organizations, though none have publicly stated support for this bill as of now.

Please give them a call (512-463-0692) and your local representative too.
    Last edited by tico; 01-28-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast