• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry filed

Harleyman007

Bill: HB 700
Legislative Session: 83(R) Council Document: 83R 2564 JSC-F Add to Bill List | Add to Alert List

Last Action: 01/24/2013 H Filed

Caption Version: Introduced
Caption Text: Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry the handgun; providing penalties.

Author: Lavender

Subjects: Weapons (I0887)
CONCEALED HANDGUNS (S0241)
PUBLIC SAFETY, DEPARTMENT OF (V0251)

acmariner99

As I understand this, the bill would go the way of Oklahoma - turning a Concealed Handgun License into a Handgun Carry License?

I really hope this passes, I want to move to Texas.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
As I understand this, the bill would go the way of Oklahoma - turning a Concealed Handgun License into a Handgun Carry License?

I really hope this passes, I want to move to Texas.

Without reading all 36 pages of the bill, it appears that is exactly what this bill would do. As much as I like constitutional OC, the fact that it's tied to a permit sure makes it easier to argue...both for the legislation, and for the businesses that ban guns as a result. We have had much success convincing businesses to take down the signs in Oklahoma, because we all have handgun licenses.

Aerosfire

You could read that as the handgun must have two points of resistance on it... say top and bottom... In other words carrying on a clip holster which only attaches the gun on one side would not qualify.

It does seem strange specifying that it must be a shoulder or belt holster.... Guess no thigh holsters.... or chest holsters....

No sure about no thigh holsters... what if the thigh holster is attached to your belt? That should count as a belt holster, no?

zajones08

What is this? If I decide to conceal a certain day and my gun is printing its still an offense?!?!?!?

(a)AAA license holder commits an offense if the license
holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder ’s person
under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun, unless the license
holder is carrying the handgun in a shoulder or belt holster with at
least dual points of resistance.

Harleyman007

Bill: HB 700
Legislative Session: 83(R) Council Document: 83R 2564 JSC-F Add to Bill List | Add to Alert List

Last Action: 01/24/2013 H Filed

Caption Version: Introduced
Caption Text: Relating to the authority of a person who is licensed to carry a handgun to openly carry the handgun; providing penalties.

Author: Lavender

Subjects: Weapons (I0887)
CONCEALED HANDGUNS (S0241)
PUBLIC SAFETY, DEPARTMENT OF (V0251)

If you have not done so, please contact your Representative and Senator and ask them to support the bill. George said he is still looking for a Senate Sponsor. I have sent letters to Todd Hunter to ask for his sponsorship, but have not recieved a reply yet.

skyraider527

I just wrote a Letter to my State Senator - Brian Birdwell

If you have not done so, please contact your Representative and Senator and ask them to support the bill. George said he is still looking for a Senate Sponsor. I have sent letters to Todd Hunter to ask for his sponsorship, but have not recieved a reply yet.

I sent my Senator a letter asking him to sponsor this bill in the Senate and suggested a couple of corrections.
1. Remove the restriction for only Shoulder or belt holsters
2. Remove the penalty for 'printing' when carrying concealed.

uncle jed

Open Carry Filed

I also emailed Sen Birdwell asking him to support Rep. Lavender's bill. There is a good chance he will considering that he filed the Campus Protection Act last week
uncle jed

cbxer55

It's nice to see our neighbors to the south trying, and hopefully succeeding in getting this right. I'll be keeping an eye on Texas for awhile. We had a real nice early dinner today, about 40 people all open carrying, at a local barbecue joint. Sure is nice to see so many people enjoying this right. Hope y'all can join us soon.

Our local association (Oklahoma Open Carry Association, OKOCA) created business cards to be handed out to businesses with no gun signs, specifically stating we will not do business with them if they have gun buster signs on their premises. I got 60 of them today, to pass out to businesses, and give to others I know that have licenses. You all should do the same. Be polite when handing them out, no moody encounters.

Last edited: