Thread: Police officials detail high-tech shot sensors in high crime areas

Police officials detail high-tech shot sensors in high crime areas

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...188247881.html

What a waste of tax payer dollars. When was the last time it stopped or even prevented a crime?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

It's a problem similar to what we (as OCers) face - how do they prove effectiveness? Compare to crime stats from the same time period last year? IIRC, they're using the data about where guns are being fired to send more patrols into the area. More guns = less crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Compare to crime stats from the same time period last year?
    Which begs the question, what stats? The stats in Philanderin' Flynn's cooked books?

Waiting for him to get a drone... Then he won't need "troops" at all.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    When was the last time it stopped or even prevented a crime?
    Less to do with prevention and more to do with response and investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    Less to do with prevention and more to do with response and investigation.
    That's not what MPD has said on their facebook page. They said Shot Spotter prevents crime. If they would just say it helps with response time, then I'd be fine with them saying that, but they didn't. The other issue I have with Shot Spotter is that it doesn't really catch criminals. The average crime takes less than 60 seconds. Even with a good response time of 3 minutes (even though it is more likely 40 minutes), that criminal could be nearly anywhere.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    That's not what MPD has said on their facebook page. They said Shot Spotter prevents crime. If they would just say it helps with response time, then I'd be fine with them saying that, but they didn't. The other issue I have with Shot Spotter is that it doesn't really catch criminals. The average crime takes less than 60 seconds. Even with a good response time of 3 minutes (even though it is more likely 40 minutes), that criminal could be nearly anywhere.
    As MKEgal mentions, they can claim crime prevention just as I can claim my OC prevents crime. Now try quantifying that... Regardless, I'm not sure what their Facebook page states. I'm reading the article you posted.

The system is so sensitive that it can tell the difference between the sound of a 9mm Glock, a .45-caliber revolver, a shotgun or another long rifle. And it can pinpoint the location to a specific address or spot, allowing officers to get to the scene in minutes.

Deputy Inspector Mary Hoerig said the system had solved crimes, resulted in the arrests of suspects, cleared up conflicting stories from witnesses or suspects at a crime scene and kept officers headed to the scene from harm.
    Mind you, I'm not at all arguing whether or not the tax dollars are well spent.

What is worst is the fact that our fourth amendment will be taken away by this system being tested New York. It can detect a concealed gun.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2013...ons-kelly-says

"allowing officers to get to the scene in minutes"

Which is [(arriving in minutes) - (30 seconds)] too long.
    And it's still not preventing crime.

Police officials detail high-tech shot sensors in high crime areas

How could they shave off another 30 seconds?

More officers on the street.

Mobile ShotStoppers crewed by teams of hotrod Segway mounted troops. And drones. Just you wait.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

"Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

Im waiting for the cries of 'racism'....these are NOT going up in Waukesha and Mequon.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet
    Mobile ShotStoppers crewed by teams of hotrod Segway mounted troops.
    Hey, throw in a souped-up segway as an incentive, I might even be tempted to apply to the academy.
    See if I can get out still being a rights-respecting person.

there is a counter sniper device called boomerang , it works on a series of microphones and compares the sound from one vs another

it is rather amazing how fast it can call out direction and angle pointing a spotter or sniper to the location of the shooter in an urban environment.

unless they are supplying USMC sniper teams to go with it i don't see how it will reduce crime in the short term I do see how it could be coupled with video surveillance to bring about much faster investigations and convictions.

if you arrived on scene and already know where the shot was fired from where to look for casings where to dig the bullet out of the wall , import the data into a crime scene emulator with a few pictures and create a virtual 3d image of a crime scene showing the frame by frame, juries would love it.

so if by gaining a greater rate of conviction they plan to lower these crimes maybe.

next problem is going to be , since the system was intended for super sonic projectiles , can it be calibrated for sub sonic shots potentially muffled by wrapping a old t shirt around the gun before firing or jabbing it into the victims ribs first and how many false positives will there be will fire crackers set it off.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Seriously? More wasted monies on this crap?

I will not be surprised if Milwaukee follows the lead of other towns that require DNA samples from all canines, Why do they want DNA samples? To link the pile of crap to the dog and owner if it is deposited on city property so they can be cited.