• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police officials detail high-tech shot sensors in high crime areas

MKEgal

It's a problem similar to what we (as OCers) face - how do they prove effectiveness? Compare to crime stats from the same time period last year? IIRC, they're using the data about where guns are being fired to send more patrols into the area. More guns = less crime.

protias

Less to do with prevention and more to do with response and investigation.

That's not what MPD has said on their facebook page. They said Shot Spotter prevents crime. If they would just say it helps with response time, then I'd be fine with them saying that, but they didn't. The other issue I have with Shot Spotter is that it doesn't really catch criminals. The average crime takes less than 60 seconds. Even with a good response time of 3 minutes (even though it is more likely 40 minutes), that criminal could be nearly anywhere.

Terry Lou

That's not what MPD has said on their facebook page. They said Shot Spotter prevents crime. If they would just say it helps with response time, then I'd be fine with them saying that, but they didn't. The other issue I have with Shot Spotter is that it doesn't really catch criminals. The average crime takes less than 60 seconds. Even with a good response time of 3 minutes (even though it is more likely 40 minutes), that criminal could be nearly anywhere.

Sounds like you may enjoy following the MPD Facebook page, did you post your criticism and concerns on their page?

Trip20

As MKEgal mentions, they can claim crime prevention just as I can claim my OC prevents crime. Now try quantifying that... Regardless, I'm not sure what their Facebook page states. I'm reading the article you posted.

The system is so sensitive that it can tell the difference between the sound of a 9mm Glock, a .45-caliber revolver, a shotgun or another long rifle. And it can pinpoint the location to a specific address or spot, allowing officers to get to the scene in minutes.

Deputy Inspector Mary Hoerig said the system had solved crimes, resulted in the arrests of suspects, cleared up conflicting stories from witnesses or suspects at a crime scene and kept officers headed to the scene from harm.

Mind you, I'm not at all arguing whether or not the tax dollars are well spent.

MKEgal

"allowing officers to get to the scene in minutes"
:banghead:
Which is [(arriving in minutes) - (30 seconds)] too long.
And it's still not preventing crime.

MKEgal

HandyHamlet said:
Mobile ShotStoppers crewed by teams of hotrod Segway mounted troops.
Hey, throw in a souped-up segway as an incentive, I might even be tempted to apply to the academy.
See if I can get out still being a rights-respecting person. :rolleyes:

GreenCountyPete

there is a counter sniper device called boomerang , it works on a series of microphones and compares the sound from one vs another

it is rather amazing how fast it can call out direction and angle pointing a spotter or sniper to the location of the shooter in an urban environment.

unless they are supplying USMC sniper teams to go with it i don't see how it will reduce crime in the short term I do see how it could be coupled with video surveillance to bring about much faster investigations and convictions.

if you arrived on scene and already know where the shot was fired from where to look for casings where to dig the bullet out of the wall , import the data into a crime scene emulator with a few pictures and create a virtual 3d image of a crime scene showing the frame by frame, juries would love it.

so if by gaining a greater rate of conviction they plan to lower these crimes maybe.

next problem is going to be , since the system was intended for super sonic projectiles , can it be calibrated for sub sonic shots potentially muffled by wrapping a old t shirt around the gun before firing or jabbing it into the victims ribs first and how many false positives will there be will fire crackers set it off.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Seriously? More wasted monies on this crap?

I will not be surprised if Milwaukee follows the lead of other towns that require DNA samples from all canines, Why do they want DNA samples? To link the pile of crap to the dog and owner if it is deposited on city property so they can be cited.