• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chron - Texas open carry bill has growing support

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics...-latest-proposal-to-expand-gun-laws-in-texas/

SNIP

‘Open carry’ bill latest proposal to expand gun laws in Texas

A homemade 12 foot by 20 foot "Come and Take It" flag at the Gun Appreciation Day rally at the Texas Capitol Jan. 19, 2013. (Photo by Kolten Parker)
As the federal government moves forward on its plans to tighten gun restrictions, Texas lawmakers are proposing legislation to expand gun rights in the state.

The latest proposal is HB 700 filed Thursday by state Rep. George Lavender, R-Texarkana, that would allow individuals with concealed handgun licenses to carry weapons in plain view on a belt or shoulder holster.

“For some it is a matter of personal safety, for others it is simply a convenience/personal preference issue,” said Lavender, who carried similar legislation that failed last session. He added others view it as a constitutional issue.

Some officials in statewide offices have said they support “open carry” in Texas. Attorney General Greg Abbott, who is floating the idea of a run for Governor next year, was quoted in support of the measure yesterday.

Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, a candidate for Lieutenant Governor next year, has said he supports Texans being allowed to carry handguns openly.

Lavender said the bill has a better chance to pass this session, adding that it failed last session because other “Second Amendment” bills took priority.. . .

“Texas is one of only a handful of states that does not allow some form of open carry despite being one of the most pro-second amendment states in the country,” Lavender said.

KeepTheChange

I hope so as well, though y need a license? It should be like Wyoming. No need for any license. If you own it u can carry it but if you want to conceal it you need the license. Concealed license makes sense for concealed weapons. Open carry? You are obviously armed.

Sent from your local FBI Surveillance Van

MyWifeSaidYes

I hope so as well, though y need a license? It should be like Wyoming. No need for any license. If you own it u can carry it but if you want to conceal it you need the license. Concealed license makes sense for concealed weapons. Open carry? You are obviously armed.

It SHOULD be like Vermont. If your gun ownership is legal, carry it anyway you want, open, concealed, in your car or taped to your face.

Criminalize ONLY criminal actions.

MyWifeSaidYes

KeepTheChange said:
That's how Wyoming does it

And hopefully more states will follow Vermont's lead, just like Wyoming.

WY was 'May-Issue' until '94, and 'Shall-Issue' until 2011.

It takes a long time to get these things going in the right direction.

MatieA

It SHOULD be like Vermont. If your gun ownership is legal, carry it anyway you want, open, concealed, in your car or taped to your face.

Criminalize ONLY criminal actions.

That's how Wyoming does it

Wrong; Wyoming has worded it that you can carry without a permit IF you meet ALL of the requirements for having said permit. Wyoming wording could very easily bee a trap for some that may have something on their record that they have forgotten about. AND only Wyoming residents can carry concealed without a permit as being a resident is one of the requirements for getting the permit.

HPmatt

TIme to plant the crops for next year's Harvest

.....HB 700 filed Thursday by state Rep. George Lavender, R-Texarkana

......Some officials in statewide offices have said they support “open carry” in Texas. Attorney General Greg Abbott, who is floating the idea of a run for Governor next year, was quoted in support of the measure yesterday.

Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, a candidate for Lieutenant Governor next year, has said he supports Texans being allowed to carry handguns openly.

Any off-year movement on OC in Texas? Since all of these boys are running this next year, I would think now w/b the time to start an a) active, b) consistent and persistent push to get everyone on record to follow in the footsteps of OK in legalize OC in Texas with the next Legislature.

Haven't snooped around enough to figure out if there are other gun organizations in Texas that benefit from thwarting OC and who are their water-boys in the House & Senate. So please chip in if you've got some ideas on how to move this forward w/o reinventing the wheel. Also we can look at OK and other recent states to see how the winning coalition was formed to get OC passed.

Tired of spending all my time looking forward to my next trip to VA to OC. Tired of looking over the TX threads of just the black powder pistol and long gun guys having all the fun....

Would think the first step w/b to contact Rep Lavender for the post mortem on his bill.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
When the hell is Texas gonna become a pro-gun state, anyway?

Until Texas finally recognizes the existence of the 2nd amendment, I will stay away.

You'd think, from all the showboating from Texans about how much they "love" guns, they'd care a whit about the right to carry them.

Evidently not.

Last edited:

cirrusly

It's always been very ironic to me, how out of all states is Texas not an OC state? Politically it is very pro-2A.

Did the state constitution forbid open carry or something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stealthyeliminator

It's always been very ironic to me, how out of all states is Texas not an OC state? Politically it is very pro-2A.

Did the state constitution forbid open carry or something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, there was a prohibition created on carrying pistols. [strike]The law was very racially motivated and to this day hasn't been fixed (eliminated).[/strike] (can't find reference) We have a reputation of being gun friendly but there are democratic hot spots throughout the state. Just look at the places rifle open carriers are being arrested and see who is in office, on the city council, the DA, etc and generally you will find some very liberal folks

Trying to find a reference for you on the racism motive behind the prohibition and haven't found one yet. All I've found is the following but I don't think it really goes into motive behind the laws just kind of gives a brief history of them http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/R_Newman.html

Last edited:

HPmatt

Trying to find a reference for you on the racism motive behind the prohibition and haven't found one yet. All I've found is the following but I don't think it really goes into motive behind the laws just kind of gives a brief history of them http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/R_Newman.html

Too bad my wife's grandfather is not with us anymore - he or his law buddies would know exactly why and when this happened. He practiced law in El Paso - his senior partner knew Pancho Villa, John Wesley Hardin, Blackjack Pershing and anyone else of distinction that came through town back in the day.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
TX already has Long Gun OC.

It'd be sad for such a bill to transform what is already unlicensed OC into handgun-only paper-please OC.

Even if you don't like the idea of Long Gun OC, consider the ramifications of losing unlicensed OC of any kind... Think you'll ever get it back? Do you really want to give up a right in exchange for a privilege? HAndguns may be more convenient, but those who give up rights for convenience.... Blah blah blah....

stealthyeliminator

Found a link to a November F/W Star Telegram article. Toward the bottom lays out landscape for the 2015 legislative session. For those not familiar with Texas, we only allow the Legislature to meet every other year. That way they can only screw up 1/2 as much as otherwise.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11/17/5345369/texas-gun-supporters-divided-on.html

There are some problems in the article. Most glaringly, these statements:

The incident was widely reported, as one woman inside said she was “terrified” by the fact that they “wanted to display force.”

Openly carrying a firearm is not a "display of force." If no force is being used, then no force is being displayed. No force was being used.

Secondly,

“Sometimes their protests marginalize the issue and do more harm than good in pushing open carry in Texas,” he said. “You can make your point without walking around with a semiautomatic rifle in your hands.”

None of the major open carry groups in Texas condone carrying rifles in-hand in public. And most request the use of chamber flags during events. This statement is an egregious misrepresentation of what is actually being done.

Just wanted to point those out :)

Last edited:

qednick

Congratulations to the OCers of Texas!! According to the new governor, he has tweeted that he WILL SIGN the Open Carry Bill if it is to come to his desk! KEEP THE PRESSURE ON!! Get your state legislature to make up and pass that bill so that he can sign it into law for you!! Here's the twitter link:

https://twitter.com/CBSDFW/status/530053304185655296

I particularly liked the responses from Don Carpenter! Now do we know who will be pushing an OC Bill for Texas this session since Lavender lost his primary?

stealthyeliminator

I particularly liked the responses from Don Carpenter! Now do we know who will be pushing an OC Bill for Texas this session since Lavender lost his primary?

Texas Carry has released the bill they'll be pushing. It basically adds unconcealed carry to the CHL (gag)

I believe OCT and CATI are working on a bill with NAGR. Should be done soon.