• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 615 No gunfire w/i 500 ft of any residence

davidmcbeth

Banned
General Assembly Proposed Bill No. 615
January Session, 2013 LCO No. 1352
Referred to Committee on JUDICIARY
Introduced by:
SEN. GUGLIELMO, 35th Dist.
AN ACT PROHIBITING THE DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS NEAR
PRIVATE RESIDENCES.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General
Assembly convened:
1 That the general statutes be amended to establish a criminal penalty
2 for any person who discharges a firearm within five hundred feet of a
3 private residence.
Statement of Purpose:
To establish a criminal penalty for any person who discharges

Riverdance

Some years back, the Board of Supervisors of Prince George County, Virginia was trying to alter their ordinances on discharge and was throwing around ideas about how far from dwellings, how far from roads, how much property you have to own, etc..

At the meeting itself, we were able to convince them that arbitrary distances from this or that have no bearing whatsoever on whether the firearm is actually discharged in a safe manner, which is all anyone should really be concerned about. And since state code already criminalized reckless discharge of a firearm, there was no need for the county to make such arbitrary decisions which have the effect of limiting property rights and 2A rights.

The Board agreed and rescinded ALL ordinances relating to discharge, which now allows me to shoot (safely) on the mere one acre around my home.

Assuming there must be something in CT state code that criminalizes reckless discharge of a firearm, CT activists could make the same argument.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Well the issue I see with this is that firing ranges are already examined by the police ... what, they don't trust their judgment?

Its only meant to harass ... the democrats in CT have way too many bills floating this year.

Its an attempt to dilute the opposition ... they don't need 1 person to be pro as they are already gung-ho..

I have filed a FOIA request asking for records pertaining to this bill. I expect to get back zip in respect to any data used to support the claim that this bill would have any effect on safety. If I get a reply at all.

JeepinMaxx

NRA Pistol Class - how does this effect my classes

Well the issue I see with this is that firing ranges are already examined by the police ... what, they don't trust their judgment?

Its only meant to harass ... the democrats in CT have way too many bills floating this year.

Its an attempt to dilute the opposition ... they don't need 1 person to be pro as they are already gung-ho..

I have filed a FOIA request asking for records pertaining to this bill. I expect to get back zip in respect to any data used to support the claim that this bill would have any effect on safety. If I get a reply at all.

So if this passes - I can't sight in my firearms out behind my barn! AND - I may not be able to conduct my NRA Pistol Classes :banghead:

foxhound81

Odd. When I emailed my local CLEO he said that my town followed Connecticut's law of discharging a firearm, which is a minimum of 500 feet from a private dwelling. I know other towns have their own laws, so I guess this would just blanket everyone now.

sidelinellc

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, US
Odd. When I emailed my local CLEO he said that my town followed Connecticut's law of discharging a firearm, which is a minimum of 500 feet from a private dwelling. I know other towns have their own laws, so I guess this would just blanket everyone now.

You were given bad info. 500 feet refers to hunting, not target shooting. I've been down this road and am knowledgeable that this references hunting
If you are unsure of this info, ask the pd to point out the regs they claim exist.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you are unsure of this info, ask the pd to point out the regs they claim exist.

This presumes they can read....cops like to make stuff up all the time...that's one of the reasons why I filed a notice of trespass with my local and state police. They want to live in a fantasy world then its not up to me to snap them out of it.

motoxmann

no such state law exists currently. the only current law is that you can not discharge a firearm from a public highway. some towns may have a 500ft law, but the state definitely does not.

as stated above, the 500ft thing is only for hunting

Last edited: