• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I allowed to open carry a rifle while walking/riding a bike to a gun range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOONE

Like the title says. I bought a Ruger 10/22 towards the end of last month at a local gun shop that also has a range. The gun had no sights on it when I bought it so I only fired about 100 rounds through it. I have since put a scope on it and would like to test it out and sight it in. The range is 5.5 miles from my house and I don't own a car. Can I attach the gun to the outside of my backpack and walk/ride a bike to the range? Everything I have read so far says it is ok but I fear I will be harassed or arrested by the LPD. Any advice?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

notalawyer

Like the title says. I bought a Ruger 10/22 towards the end of last month at a local gun shop that also has a range. The gun had no sights on it when I bought it so I only fired about 100 rounds through it. I have since put a scope on it and would like to test it out and sight it in. The range is 5.5 miles from my house and I don't own a car. Can I attach the gun to the outside of my backpack and walk/ride a bike to the range? Everything I have read so far says it is ok but I fear I will be harassed or arrested by the LPD. Any advice?

Perfectly legal.

790.25(3)
LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
. . .
(j) A person firing weapons for testing or target practice under safe conditions and in a safe place not prohibited by law or going to or from such place;

790.053 is the statute making open carry unlawful. Which does not apply if you are at, or on your way to or from the range.

The same applies to open carry or concealed carry of any firearm.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC:due to urban area

Not everyoone lives in an urban area... In fact, I've never met anyone worth talking to from an urban area...

Not contesting the rule, just pointing out that it is just another liberal urbanite excuse to chop up the 2nd Amendment...

And if the OP didn't get it already; I sling my Saiga .308 and roll to the range... Mag in, round in the chamber. You don't have to like me, you just have to leave me the hell alone. ;-)

My Draco holster meets all the same requirements, and then some, complained about in that same rool. It's anoyingly cumbersome to carry it in any manner other than crossdraw, but it is a handgun properly holstered...

Still banned from talking about it... lols.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC:due to urban area
Not everyoone lives in an urban area... In fact, I've never met anyone worth talking to from an urban area...

Not contesting the rule, just pointing out that it is just another liberal urbanite excuse to chop up the 2nd Amendment...

--snipped--

In snipping my quote of the rule, you make it read in an entirely different manner.
16) NO FALSE ATTRIBUTIONS:
Editing quoted posts by another member to make it appear as if they said something other than what they intended will NOT be tolerated!

Not so - the rule is designed to keep the forum "on target" - not provide an outlet for whatever a poster/user wants to promote, but you already know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.