• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about carrying in apartment complex in Texas

stealthyeliminator

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone here might know the answer to my question and be willing to share it with me. I did a brief google search and a brief search of this forum but didn't find an answer. I apologize if there is one staring me in the face...

It's a simple question but it might not have a simple answer. If a person is living in an apartment in Texas, and there is no restriction in the lease agreement, on how much of the complex could that person carry their firearm without a CHL? How does this compare to carrying at ones own home/on one's own property? For example, if a person owned a house with land, they could carry on that land outside of the house. But at an apartment complex, would they only be able to carry inside of their apartment and not when they go to let their dog out? Or could they carry just outside of their apartment, in close proximity to their own apartment? Or could a person carry anywhere within the complex, such as when they go jogging?

Again this is assuming there are no restriction in the lease agreement.

I know this doesn't specifically have to do with open carry but I figured someone here might know, and I know that there are some members here who are really particular about correct information (I know because I've been corrected before ;)) and I really appreciate that approach.

Thanks for any clarity you can provide.

stealthyeliminator

Maybe a mod can move this thread to TEXAS where it seems to fit best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was torn between this forum and the Texas forum, but because the description for the Texas forum was "Open Carry stories from..." I decided it might fit best here, as it doesn't really have anything to do with an open carry story ;)

JoeSparky

Centurion
I was torn between this forum and the Texas forum, but because the description for the Texas forum was "Open Carry stories from..." I decided it might fit best here, as it doesn't really have anything to do with an open carry story ;)

And my suggestion was since it seems to request TEXAS specific info that TEXAS night be the best forum to ask the question.

stealthyeliminator

I did some more heavy googling and found the following thread: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...o-chl-apartment-complex-carry-question-3.html

Seems pretty convincing that it would not be legal to carry outside of the apartment itself unless directly enroute to my vehicle. User Bithabus referenced some court documents that seemed to pretty clearly reject the idea that the lawn, sidewalk or parking lot to a tenent's apartment could be considered a tenent's "own premises".