• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of buying guns at a gun buyback.

theaero

I hate seeing guns being destroyed. I was planning on attending the buyback on saturday and buying everything I could, and giving what I got away/ selling them for cheap to gun owners who would appreciate them.

Few questions:

Could I legally hold a sign saying "free appraisals" and then negotiating from there?

Could I legally hold a sign saying "Ill buy what you have + $50"?

Could I legally make these purchases, and would I be hassled by LEO? Is there anything possibly I COULD get in trouble for?

Thanks!!

skeith5

The answer to everything is pretty much a yes. Private sales are legal in the state. You could be harrased but not for any legal reason. There is a group of us planning on being there with cash for guns signs. I'm at the location where they are doing the buyback right now waiting to be interviewed by king 5. They are also supposed to be interviewing Seattle pd, if an officer is here while I am hopefully I'll be able to get a read on what their response will be.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

amlevin

If you hold up that sign in Seattle, expect to be asked for your "business license". There's a better than even chance that your endeavor will be viewed as a business operation and since it involves guns and "used merchandise" there are a variety of licenses you will be expected to show.

In short, Good Luck.

HK_dave

other than them taking the guns and running the numbers, any way they could get you for receiving stolen property should any prove to be stolen?

and you're in a group of people... who decides who gets to buy which gun? a bidding war? :)

sudden valley gunner

If you hold up that sign in Seattle, expect to be asked for your "business license". There's a better than even chance that your endeavor will be viewed as a business operation and since it involves guns and "used merchandise" there are a variety of licenses you will be expected to show.

In short, Good Luck.

We are buying for personal use and not resale.

skeith5

other than them taking the guns and running the numbers, any way they could get you for receiving stolen property should any prove to be stolen?

and you're in a group of people... who decides who gets to buy which gun? a bidding war? :)

I will run each serial number through the hot guns website to check, although that won't pick up everything. For my purchases I'm going to require ID and a bill of sale. If a gun turns out to be stolen I'll turn in the bill of sale and information on the person that sold it to me.

What I've asked for in the group I'm going with is that the person who talks to that person first has first shot at buying whatever they are turning in. No bidding other people up. Hopefully people stick to it.

Scott

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
We do plan on being fair to each other, no bidding wars. We will offer Cash. US$50 for "regular " weapons and US$100 for nasty ones. It's about what they would get for the card on the street. We want to look like Legally Armed Citizens, not the clowns you see on the floor of the stock exchange. We will have a small table and plenty of "security" for people who carry cash. I, personally have an 03 FFL that I will bring with me. All sales will be between two INDIVIDUALS. If you have a CPL is that not evidence of a background check.

Jeff Hayes

In short, Good Luck.

Purchasing a firearm or 3 would not constitute a business since there is no planed resale. No one would be considered in business if they purchased 3 cars from someone on the street or 5 wood carvings off of a street wood carver or 2 hamburgers and a taco from the catering truck parked in that vacant lot. The act of purchasing without the intent to resale should mean there was no business transaction that required a business license.

I agree that that may be tried but it will not hold water in a court of law IMHO.

I have a few more comments that I will not mention at the moment Seattle does not need the help.

Good luck guys, I wish I was there my grandson needs a pump 12 ga for turkeys this spring.

Sparky508

Wouldn't a SPD dude need RAS for checking to see if you were purchasing a "stolen" item in order to run the numbers or what ever he wanted to do to get that far?:confused:

That being said, good luck to the SPD with that.

skeith5

Wouldn't a SPD dude need RAS for checking to see if you were purchasing a "stolen" item in order to run the numbers or what ever he wanted to do to get that far?:confused:

That being said, good luck to the SPD with that.

That would be interesting. Does Rapgood want to come join us?

I'm sure they would try to say that the fact we are buying guns near a gun buy back area designed to get weapons off the street qualifies as RAS...

hermannr

The guys down in Oregon went to the last "buyback" in Portland (which is just as bad as Seattle for being anti-gun) did quite well for themselves and even received support from the PPD in the news writeups.

I won't be able to be there, but I think it might be a good opportunity. IMHO: do not put prices on you sign...I think I would put "collector looking for interesting weapons" free appraisals and reasonable offers on items I am interested in

May I add: If someone there has a C&R they could even put "Federally licensed collector"

Last edited:

Munkey Butt

FWIW, Imlooking for a Springfield XD9. I've got cash, and Current CPL.

Edit: I'd love to be there myself but I have to work. So keep me in mind.

Last edited:

rapgood

That would be interesting. Does Rapgood want to come join us?

I'm sure they would try to say that the fact we are buying guns near a gun buy back area designed to get weapons off the street qualifies as RAS...

You know, being a lawyer usually means that you have to miss out on all of the fun, such as going to a buyback. Although not impossible, it is very difficult to represent someone if I am a witness to the act leading up to the arrest. That said, I'm keeping an eye out for a Kimber 1911 .45 ACP for myself. If I were to drop a grand on yet another weapon, my wife would never let me hear the end of it (and it's such a fun hobby, too!). The only way I can justify getting a new pistol is by telling her she can have my P228 (which she really likes).

So, to answer your question, I'd love to go with you guys. Just bear in mind that I don't want to be a witness. Give me a call to coordinate. 206-624-2379

Last edited:

trevorthebusdriver

So how's it going? In the paper it said people were asked to leave their guns in the trunk until an officer came to get it out. Is that how it's working? So people aren't walking around with their guns looking for the highest bidder?