• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legality of buying guns at a gun buyback.

rapgood

Say it isn't so. A Seattle Police officer attempting to prevent you from going about a legal activity? Doesn't he know that that's against the law? It's called "Coercion". Of course all one needs is a Prosecutor willing to charge him for the Gross Misdemeanor.

THAT won't happen in Seattle.

A better remedy is to file a complaint with the Washington State Bar Association and the King County Prosecutor for the LEO violating the law against practicing law without a license (a gross misdemeanor for the first such representation and a class C felony for each subsequent representation). But, that isn't likely to happen in Seattle, either.

Hey, if a cop can get away with shooting a drunken Indian in the back in Seattle and not be charged with a crime, then practicing law without a license probably wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

Last edited:

skeith5

A better remedy is to file a complaint with the Washington State Bar Association and the King County Prosecutor for the LEO violating the law against practicing law without a license (a gross misdemeanor for the first such representation and a class C felony for each subsequent representation). But, that isn't likely to happen in Seattle, either.

Hey, if a cop can get away with shooting a drunken Indian in the back in Seattle and not be charged with a crime, then practicing law without a license probably wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

I'm working on the paperwork to file a Tort claim for Me, SVG, and MSG. I'm not hopeful that it will make any big changes but maybe it will make them think twice for the next one.

Scott

sudden valley gunner

Say it isn't so. A Seattle Police officer attempting to prevent you from going about a legal activity? Doesn't he know that that's against the law? It's called "Coercion". Of course all one needs is a Prosecutor willing to charge him for the Gross Misdemeanor.

I already sent my video to a lawyer for safe keeping ;)

And one reason why I think we need private prosecution to be resurrected. I think though the established system would fight this right with all it's might.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Today - Seattle mayor on the gun buy back. http://q13fox.com/2013/01/29/seattle-mayor-mike-mcginn/#axzz2JHxj0WG4

Talks about adopting 'rules' or some other measures to attempt to prevent private party purchase at the next gun buy back... ?

Go to the page and comment. Everytime you see this kind of suppression of our Constitution we need to say somethin. Always leave a positive comment or refute the comments that are incorrect. That will be easy to do because so many of them "drink the koolaid".

amlevin

In reading this cite, I see where there is a provision for a "citizen" to file a complaint for misdemeanors. What about criminal offenses? Then, should the Judge allow the complaint to proceed, WHO is responsible for prosecution? The elected prosecutor? Or is it the responsibility of the complainant to prosecute?

It also appears that both the prosecutor and law enforcement have the ability to derail a citizen complaint.

Your thoughts?

amlevin

For your reading pleasure-"-Man guilty of illegal assault rifle sales"

http://heraldnet.com/article/201301...s02#Man-guilty-of-illegal-assault-rifle-sales

He was doing just fine. Right up to the point where he started selling lots of them in various parking lots, etc. Sold just enough where he ATF was able to claim he was operating an illegal gun dealership.

It's one thing to sell an extra firearm or two but when you buy and sell, with the intent of making a profit it's illegal.

Seattle's next buyback will no doubt have many, many, observers. Not just SPD but expect ATF, and State Department of Revenue people to be watching all the "buyers".

Jeff Hayes

http://heraldnet.com/article/201301...s02#Man-guilty-of-illegal-assault-rifle-sales

He was doing just fine. Right up to the point where he started selling lots of them in various parking lots, etc. Sold just enough where he ATF was able to claim he was operating an illegal gun dealership.

It's one thing to sell an extra firearm or two but when you buy and sell, with the intent of making a profit it's illegal.

Seattle's next buyback will no doubt have many, many, observers. Not just SPD but expect ATF, and State Department of Revenue people to be watching all the "buyers".

Its really hard to get in trouble buying anything on a casual basis unless it is stolen or unlawful to poses. Now selling is an entirely different matter once you exceed the casual sale level then all kinds of stuff that could get you in trouble come into play.

Alpine

Any word yet on when the next one might be? I missed the first one but after seeing the great haul you guys picked up I will definitely make the time to be there.

skeith5

Any word yet on when the next one might be? I missed the first one but after seeing the great haul you guys picked up I will definitely make the time to be there.

We were all just joking about what we got... nothing to see here, move along...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I must have had a vaccine or a built in resistance. I just don't sell guns. I buy the livin dickens out of them, but, no never had a reason to sell one.

amlevin

Its really hard to get in trouble buying anything on a casual basis unless it is stolen or unlawful to poses. Now selling is an entirely different matter once you exceed the casual sale level then all kinds of stuff that could get you in trouble come into play.

What you say makes perfect sense and is logical--------until you start involving guns. Given the current political climate and the mind set of all the "chicken littles" out there, sooner or later someone in a position of authority is going to try and make a case that someone with a sign saying "$$$ for Guns" is in some kind of business. Remember, there is a mass hysteria out there and what's logical when selling cars, household goods, or other sporting equipment doesn't hold true when the word "Gun" is interjected.

It isn't always what's right or wrong, it's all the BS you have to go through to prove you were right in the end.

kparker

amlevin,

I see what you're saying, but still: one look at my overflowing gun safes (pitifully-sized though they may be) will back me up: I might have sold a gun in this century (a, mind you, not some), but certainly none in this decade yet.

Raffie

I didn't want to start a new thread since we was already talking about it.

I got my bull pup kit and installed my SKS. http://sgworks.com/

Had a little modifying to do since different SKS are have small differences. Thank GOD for the Dremel Tool.
Has to sand a little on the inside of the upper heat guard where the rear sites are with the lever you lift up to release the gas tube. Took a little less then a 1/8".

Biggest modifying I had to do was carving out under the handle so the 30rd mag would fit.

I got the scope on it and used my laser bore site on it and now to find a place to go shoot it.

theaero

I didn't want to start a new thread since we was already talking about it.

I got my bull pup kit and installed my SKS. http://sgworks.com/

Had a little modifying to do since different SKS are have small differences. Thank GOD for the Dremel Tool.
Has to sand a little on the inside of the upper heat guard where the rear sites are with the lever you lift up to release the gas tube. Took a little less then a 1/8".

Biggest modifying I had to do was carving out under the handle so the 30rd mag would fit.

I got the scope on it and used my laser bore site on it and now to find a place to go shoot it.

I ended up canceling my order, and trading the SKS for a 10/22. Not the best trade, but the guy really wanted an SKS, and I really wanted a gun I could shoot and tinker with for cheap. That being said, pics!