• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police in Iowa city to buy their own semi-automatic AR-15s

OC for ME

At least one national law enforcement organization believes Daugherty is onto something.

“I do not think it’s too much firepower,” said Bill Johnson, executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations. “It’s certainly a sound decision by the chief to equip the officers with better weapons to protect themselves and better protect the public.”

And in an ironic twist, Johnson said would-be targets of those AR-15s will appreciate the likely change as well.

“For me, if I had to choose, I’d rather be shot by an AR-15 than a shotgun,” he said. “It’s more accurate over a longer range and you can neutralize a threat without exposing them or officers to greater danger.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/2...s-to-arm-officers-with-semi-automatic-ar-15s/
National issue? Yes.

I like how LE needs long range self-defense options but LE does not seem to think the great unwashed masses require such a option.