• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"New state law allows open carry in city owned buildings"

Tmhrr

Charles from KC3 just had a very informative call into Mandy McConnell on Louisville's WHAS 840, explaining that HB 500 "put some teeth" into the longstanding KRS 65.870 to prevent local governments from simply ignoring our firearms preemption law because there were no penalties, and HB 500 did not, as the media has been claiming, suddenly allow guns to be carried where they were once illegal.

The interview lasted only about ten minutes, and you can probably find it on an online archive of the show.

Thanks Charles!

It starts about 50 seconds into hour 3

http://www.whas.com/player/?mid=228...program_id=MandyShow.xml&program_name=podcast

poetdante

Updated question

So I am a tad late getting to the discussion but here is my question. KRS 65.870 states firearms can be carried into public buildings, and I think someone here mentioned being able to carry them into certain places like assemblies, and police stations. The point of KRS 65.870 is that local authorities cannot regulate any aspect of firearms. BUT, KRS 237.110 states you cannot conceal carry into such places

Except as provided in KRS 527.020, no license issued pursuant to this section
shall authorize any person to carry a concealed firearm into:
(a) Any police station or sheriff's office;
(b) Any detention facility, prison, or jail;
(c) Any courthouse, solely occupied by the Court of Justice courtroom, or
court proceeding;
(d) Any meeting of the governing body of a county, municipality, or special
district; or any meeting of the General Assembly or a committee of the
General Assembly, except that nothing in this section shall preclude a
member of the body, holding a concealed deadly weapon license, from
carrying a concealed deadly weapon at a meeting of the body of which he
or she is a member;

At the same time, isn't there a KRS stating you can carry concealed anywhere you would carry openly?

So yay or nay on police stations? How about airports before you get to the security checkpoint?

Also, I realize that it is not a crime to conceal carry into a business that has a no weapons allowed sign (though it is after they ask you to leave an you do not), is this right?

poetdante

Oh ok. I understand a little better now.

Nevermind! I found the thread in this forum about KY gun laws. Thanks! What about the laws that say you can open carry in all those places the previous poster mentioned?

Last edited:

09jisaac

No KY statute (that I am aware of) says you can legally carry concealed where it is illegal to carry concealed.

There IS a statute that says that no criminal penalties shall be attached to carry a concealed deadly weapon where you can legally open carry.

Edit: 237.115?

Last edited:

langzaiguy

@Poet Laws restrict us, they don't tell us what we can do. Gutshot is right, you need to shift your thinking a bit. You may open carry anywhere that you want that isn't restricted by law. In Kentucky, concealed carry is much more regulated than open carry, per our Constitution.

Chief Ten Beers

I know I'm a year late on finding this thread, but there's a lot of good information here. I copied and saved some of it, and I printed it out and put it in a binder of Kentucky Open Carry Laws that I'm compiling. :monkey