• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Second Amendment rally March 20th Lansing Mi Capital

DanM

good to see everyone

Yep! Good to see you, Phil, Brian, Rob, Randy, and many others!

I'll share a tidbit I got a kick out of. Phil was at the head of the march, and I was at the rear. He was calling back to me every few minutes to ensure we didn't get too stretched out. But there were so many marchers, we still took up a 3-4 blocks at a time and Lansing PD had to do rolling intersection shut downs for us.

scot623

MGO has the numbers at 17 to 1800, just wish spring had sprang....

Those are numbers I am happy with. Media reports pegged the turn out at 500. I feel sad for those who used the weather as an excuse. Layer up!! It's Michigan!

I will say the lamest excuse for not attending I heard came from a highly vocal "OC advocate".... "I couldn't get anyone to drive with me". Boo hoo. Pretty sad if you ask me.

So I will end with a thank you all who took off work, drove long distances and braved the cold to attend.

Last edited:

TheQ

I will say the lamest excuse for not attending I heard came from a highly vocal "OC advocate".... "I couldn't get anyone to drive with me". Boo hoo. Pretty sad if you ask me.

So I will end with a thank you all who took off work, drove long distances and braved the cold to attend.

Does his name (the excuse person) rhyme with "bike chilly"?

I will echo Rob in saying thanks to those who braved the drive and weather.

FreeInAZ

Those are numbers I am happy with. Media reports pegged the turn out at 500. I feel sad for those who used the weather as an excuse. Layer up!! It's Michigan!

Well no one wants to get an eye poked out by a tin foil hat in the confines of the UFO mobile....:p

Bronson

Layer up!! It's Michigan!

I had a lack of good clothing for standing in the cold for long periods of time...namely footwear. What I discovered was they sell that stuff right in the store. Who would've thought? I also found out that there are stores that sell these things called a "thermos." Apparently the technology exists for you to be able to carry hot drinks with you anywhere you go.

Color me amazed.

Bronson

Billy

Re: 2nd Amendment March & Rally at the State Capital

A big shout-out to Nick of northern Michigan for car-pooling me and big Dan to Lansing!

What a nice time. Lots of people open-carrying their sidearms along with LOTS of men and women with slung carbines and shotguns. Folks were polite, smiling and friendly. The only repugnant folks present were a few panty-waisted, slack-jawed liberals who wanted to ban all firearms.

The Michigan State Police and Capital Police were good-to-go and professional. One of the Troopers came up and commented on my jacket and told him where he could buy one. We spoke for a bit and later got a photo of us standing next to one another. Met lots of military brother's-in-Arms who were combat veterans. Talked with one big black fellow who was packing his M-16/M-4 and turns out he is a cop in Flint, MI. Met a retired Chief Warrant Officer (Army Special Forces) who had cross-trained with some of my SEAL Team-mates in Honduras. This guy served 26 years on active-duty and had three (3) Purple Hearts. You'll see him being interviewed in the video (see below).

I was impressed with the messages the speakers had for the big gathering. Those in attendance were hardy folks and quite animated and vocal despite it being 23 deg. with 15 knot winds. At one point me and Nick, being quite chilled, decided we would go into the capital building. We warmed up a bit on the third floor in the audience seats overlooking the senate hearings in progress (while open carrying both sidearms and long guns). One family man there, with his little one's in tow, said to us, "I feel a lot safer with you guys here." : )

Oakland County Campaign for Liberty put together a ten minute video of the march/rally. Here's the link: http://ap711.com/Video.html ...if for some reason the link is "No Go" then got to their home page at http://ap711.com/OakC4L and click on "Videos."

Thanks be to God for His providence and protection each new day, for, as it is written, "Except the LORD build the house, they labor in vain that build it: except the LORD keep [i.e., guards] the city, the watchman waketh but in vain" (Ps. 127:1).

Take care, neighbors...

Respectfully,
Billy

-ex U.S. Naval Special Warfare operator

HKcarrier

Yep! Good to see you, Phil, Brian, Rob, Randy, and many others!

I'll share a tidbit I got a kick out of. Phil was at the head of the march, and I was at the rear. He was calling back to me every few minutes to ensure we didn't get too stretched out. But there were so many marchers, we still took up a 3-4 blocks at a time and Lansing PD had to do rolling intersection shut downs for us.

As I was watching people pour in, they came across Capital ave. and I was like "that's it?!" I was really bummed out... until I saw that they were just coming in waves and stretched back for 2 blocks still... took them all 5 min or more to flow across the street... THAT was a lot of people... and it was AWESOME!!!!

Nice video linked by Billy... poster above me...

[video=youtube;mMG4Yk6SLPE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mMG4Yk6SLPE#at=611[/video]

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Did any of the TV stations or papers have reporters there? You would think this would be a " big " story on a Wednesday in Lansing?

MI_XD

Channel 12 ABC had a cameraman there filming the March. He was catching the front of the line, then I saw him at the Capital. Did anyone see any reports on Lansing channel 12?

MI_XD

FreeInAZ

Channel 12 ABC had a cameraman there filming the March. He was catching the front of the line, then I saw him at the Capital. Did anyone see any reports on Lansing channel 12?

MI_XD

Thanks for the post. I checked their website but could not find a peep about the march? That's today's media for you, always reporting local/state stories that might make people think... /off sarcasm. :rolleyes:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Not at all...what few (3-4) counter protesters I saw were generally ignored by everyone except the media. I will say that I did see a couple of 2A supporters raise a banner about 20 feet behind these people's banner while they were being interviewed. This despite the counter protesters getting prime frontage on the street with their banner.
Regarding the attached article, the 2A supporters that I saw in the Capitol Bldg were polite and friendly to all the workers and the people there for Ag Day. I was heartened by the statement in the article that the rifles were what was the issue, not the open carrying of pistols. Although I think whether attendees carried pistols or rifles is immaterial, I believe this can be considered progress and closely matches where OCDO official opinion falls regarding long-gun carry.

FreeInAZ

From every march, or other pro-rights event I have attended over the years - I have never once seen a 2A supporter ever be anything but nice. I doubt Tim Skubik did any vetting of the so-called victims of any ill will. Why would he? It is not in his interests nor good for ratings, ad sales etc...

Folks - just a reminder: in the past the MI POLICE STATE, oops I mean MSP have infiltrated groups/gatherings and their agents have intentionally tried to incite the crowd to violence. Not saying this is the case here, but they do have a history of doing this.

http://www.aclu.org/technology-and-...lices-authority-participate-matrix-data-colle
Fair Use Quote:
"The ILEIO Act (MCLA § 752.01) was enacted in 1980 after it was learned that the Michigan police had compiled "Red Squad files" on thousands of Michigan residents. The law was meant to prevent unsupervised and uncontrolled access to information about individuals. The "Law Enforcement Intelligence Unit" (LEIU), like MATRIX, had a legitimate law enforcement function. However, LEIU also engaged in political intelligence and collected information on non-criminal activity of U.S. citizens."

Last edited: