Thread: How long did it take you to get your UPIN?

How long did it take you to get your UPIN?

I have gotten delays with every purchase I make, and while its not awful, it gets a bit annoying. So I requested a VAF / UPIN packet from the FBI. Its been 3 weeks and I haven't recieved the packet yet. When I do recieve it, about how long will it take to be issued my UPIN? I have no criminal record, arrest record, or even so much as a traffic ticket. The only thing I can think that would cause my delays is my constant change of address, perhaps?

Anyone have a UPIN, and how long did it take?
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    || SPRINGFIELD LOADED SS || LES BAER CUSTOM CARRY HARD CHROME || SPRINGFIELD TRP ||
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

still no guarantee that you won't get delayed...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post
    I've got one, and haven't been delayed since. I've purchased over a dozen with it. I'd get delayed about 50% of the time without it.

I got the packet from a gun shop, so there was no wait. got my prints and filled in a pamphlet. No kidding, it was a tri-fold pamphlet with just a few fields to fill in. Mailed it and got a letter of acknowledgement within 10 days. Then it was about 150-180 days before the letter with the UPIN came back. There isn't card or anything like a CPL. It's literally a letter with a "this is your UPIN ####." I've written it on the back of my CPL so that I've got it on me for those spur of the moment purchases. Pretty freaky getting a 8 1/2 x 11 envelope marked with FBI on it, when you don't normally get that kind of mail.
    Last edited by dadada; 01-26-2013 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post
    I was getting delays and did not like it. I called the FBI and said"wtf". I was told the local LEOs were holding me (I have irritated BPD). He offered a Upin, but told me, if the locals put a hold on it , the upin will not matter.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by msg laigaie View Post
    i was getting delays and did not like it. I called the fbi and said"wtf". I was told the local leos were holding me (i have irritated bpd). He offered a upin, but told me, if the locals put a hold on it , the upin will not matter.
    this !

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I was getting delays and did not like it. I called the FBI and said"wtf". I was told the local LEOs were holding me (I have irritated BPD). He offered a Upin, but told me, if the locals put a hold on it , the upin will not matter.
    How could the local PD get involved with a NICS check? You don't think the FBI dials up your local cop shop to get info on you during the NICS check, do you? The check only takes a few minutes, so they'd have no time to do the actual computer check, look up your local pd's #, track down an officer in the office, chit-chat about you, etc... The check is a computer based search. IF your local PD's put some kind of flag on you, which isn't possible, then the UPIN would defeat this. The FBI isn't allowed to maintain a file on you, (I know, I know, I'm sure there are files on most people anyway!), which is what the purpose of the UPIN is for. It's your authorization for them TO keep a file on you. That way, if they get a hit on you, they've already stored the info about that hit in your file, explaining what the issue was and then they don't have to do a background search on the hit.

I had folks come into the shop buy a handgun, provide a UPIN and get delayed....

If I'm not mistaken, you can go to the appeals website and download the entire packet.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    Washington State Constitution Article I, Section 24: RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.

How is a local police department able to put a hold on a UPIN without tripping over the state constitution?

Quote Originally Posted by dadada View Post
    How could the local PD get involved with a NICS check? You don't think the FBI dials up your local cop shop to get info on you during the NICS check, do you? ..................
    Actually, yes, I do. When I spoke with agents about this situation they told me that if the local LEOs want to flag me for five, they can do that. NICS agent said there was nothing they can do and then asked what I had done to PO my local chief. I told him I was suing him because one of his officers made an a$$hat of himself. The NICS guy laughed and then apologized. Still nothing he can do. You can beat the rap, but not the ride. It no longer bothers me and I plan for it when I make a purchase.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Why would local PD flag someone if they would otherwise pass NICS?
    -LIFETIME NRA MEMBER-
    || SPRINGFIELD LOADED SS || LES BAER CUSTOM CARRY HARD CHROME || SPRINGFIELD TRP ||
    -DONT TREAD ON ME-

Quote Originally Posted by theaero View Post
    Spite
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by theaero View Post
    Not just pass the NICS, but have a CPL and an 03FFL. I just pi$$ them off. Petty, I know, but sometimes people in power get petty. Make me laugh.........and persistent.