• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 6250 BR check for all guns?? But wants to exempt police ?

davidmcbeth

Banned
General Assembly Proposed Bill No. 6250
January Session, 2013 LCO No. 1017
Referred to Committee on PUBLIC SAFETY AND SECURITY
Introduced by:
REP. GROGINS, 129th Dist.
REP. FAWCETT, 133rd Dist.
AN ACT CONCERNING CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS PRIOR
TO THE SALE OR DELIVERY OF FIREARMS OTHER THAN
HANDGUNS.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General
Assembly convened:
1 That section 29-37a of the general statutes, concerning the sale or
2 delivery of firearms other than pistols or revolvers, be amended to (1)
3 require the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection
4 to conduct a national instant criminal background check prior to the
5 sale or delivery of any such firearm, regardless of whether such
6 firearm is sold or delivered at retail, and (2) exclude from the criminal
7 background check and waiting period requirements of section 29-37a
8 of the general statutes only peace officers and active members of the
9 armed forces of the United States.
Statement of Purpose:
To ensure that criminal background checks are conducted prior to the
delivery or sale of firearms other than handguns.

motoxmann

so basically, this bill proposes that our current state law stays the same, but adds an exemption for cops and military? I believe this is called discrimination and unequality

edit: I see now, it also adds that DESPP is who would do the BR check, not the firearms dealer. well thats just rediculous. what the hell is the point? to simply make the process more of a pain in the ass to deter people from buying guns?

I've got an idea, lets all become cops just so we can be exempt from all the rediculous laws these morons keep trying to pass. I didn't say let's become GOOD cops who actually do their job, I simply said lets just become cops.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
so basically, this bill proposes that our current state law stays the same, but adds an exemption for cops and military? I believe this is called discrimination and unequality

Maybe ... but as a dealer, I had to turn down cops from gun transfers ... so this legislator does not know sh----t. But it would be sweet to have the bill pass and then a cop using a newly bought gun he otherwise could not have purchased going on a rampage .. then say "good job there copernicus"

Johnny W

Background checks without effectively registering purchases?

Currently, when you sell a firearm in CT, and you choose to utilize the full set of paperwork (either because you're selling a handgun and you want to comply with the law or because it's a longarm and you hate trees), you can call in directly to the DESPP and get an authorization number. This is the result of a NICS check, right? They wouldn't give you the authorization number if the buyer didn't pass the check?

So why couldn't they require a background check for every sale, via the same mechanism (a call to DESPP with the buyer's information) without requiring information on the firearm being transferred?

Yes, I'd prefer not to be REQUIRED to do a background check. But if we HAD to accept an infringement, at least this one would have the silver lining of allowing a sale with a background check without effectively registering the firearm at the same time.

motoxmann

Currently, when you sell a firearm in CT, and you choose to utilize the full set of paperwork (either because you're selling a handgun and you want to comply with the law or because it's a longarm and you hate trees), you can call in directly to the DESPP and get an authorization number. This is the result of a NICS check, right? They wouldn't give you the authorization number if the buyer didn't pass the check?

So why couldn't they require a background check for every sale, via the same mechanism (a call to DESPP with the buyer's information) without requiring information on the firearm being transferred?

Yes, I'd prefer not to be REQUIRED to do a background check. But if we HAD to accept an infringement, at least this one would have the silver lining of allowing a sale with a background check without effectively registering the firearm at the same time.

that bold is actually a good question. I don't know if the authorization number request is also a background check. does anyone know for sure whether it is or not?

brk913

that bold is actually a good question. I don't know if the authorization number request is also a background check. does anyone know for sure whether it is or not?
It is, the people giving you the authorization number will tell you to hold on while they run the background check....

GoldCoaster

Auth numbers

It is, the people giving you the authorization number will tell you to hold on while they run the background check....

Any time I've done a transfer with the SFLU they ask for the permit number of each party. What if you're purchasing from someone who doesn't have a permit? then what happens?

It's a stupid law, written by stupid people and there are a metric **** ton of more stupid laws on the way to being rammed down our collective throats because Sandy Hook was Martin Looney's wet dream.

brk913

What if you're purchasing from someone who doesn't have a permit? then what happens?
For handguns you just state the seller does not have a permit, only the buyer has to have one. Happens all the time with people who move into the state and never get a permit or people who inherited or bought a handgun back before you needed a permit.

Long gun purchase neither buyer or seller needs a permit, if you call for an authorization number they will ask you for name DOB and run a background check, although none of that is required in CT.

Skinnedknuckles

When you follow the process, you also complete the DPS-3 (on which you have to enter the approval number). You have to file the DPS-3 with DESPP and with th buyer's local police. The DPS-3 has the serial number and description of the gun being transferred, so as I see it you are effectively registering the firearm with both the state and the town.