• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 737 Another gun/crime registry

davidmcbeth

Banned
General Assembly Proposed Bill No. 737
January Session, 2013 LCO No. 1767
Referred to Committee on JUDICIARY
Introduced by:
SEN. AYALA, 23rd Dist.
AN ACT CONCERNING THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A GUN OFFENDER
REGISTRY.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General
Assembly convened:
1 That the general statutes be amended to establish a gun offender
2 registry that would make information about persons convicted of
3 certain firearm-related offenses who have been released into the
4 community available to police departments and thereby assist such
5 departments in gathering evidence and information on the commission
6 of crimes in their community.
Statement of Purpose:
To help law enforcement officials intervene to reduce the commission
of crimes by repeat offenders.

motoxmann

I'm not against this bill. but then again it would depend on what the law enforcement agencies actually do with the information

Z1P2

If the registry only includes violent offenders, I have no problem with it. Sorry, I gots no love for violent criminals.

Now if we're talking non-violent offenders then that's just bull-hockey.

Last edited:

Ctclassic

Don't sweat this one, it's no different than a sex-offender registry. If your CONVICTED, that means your a bad boy David. I say there are more bills that need ALOT more attention than this one!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Don't sweat this one, it's no different than a sex-offender registry. If your CONVICTED, that means your a bad boy David. I say there are more bills that need ALOT more attention than this one!

How can a felony convict register a gun? This is for law abiding people to give the state information on what guns a citizen has ... frankly, its none of their business.

Ctclassic

How can a felony convict register a gun? This is for law abiding people to give the state information on what guns a citizen has ... frankly, its none of their business.

Maybe you should read it over again. It doesn't say anything about registering a firearm. It means if you've been convicted of a gun-related crime, they want to establish a database for your azz.

And I hate to be the barer of bad news Dave, but once you commit a felony, it IS there business for which I have no problem.

And I'll say it again, I think there are more pressing bills to be concerned with than this one.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Maybe you should read it over again. It doesn't say anything about registering a firearm. It means if you've been convicted of a gun-related crime, they want to establish a database for your azz.

And I hate to be the barer of bad news Dave, but once you commit a felony, it IS there business for which I have no problem.

And I'll say it again, I think there are more pressing bills to be concerned with than this one.

I think they'll just add onto a final bill more reasons why to have a gun registry entry required. Look into the future and understand that one the mechanism is there they will expand upon it.

Also, I think they have easy access to informational databases that show who is a felon and have been guilty of other crimes and then down to parking tickets.

Why they need this? They don't. So we should not support it.

This is how they dupe people into supporting anti-gun legislation today for grievous legislation tomorrow. Nip it in the butt IMO.

Last edited:

Ctclassic

It goes without saying that all of us are on the same page. We can oppose all the bills going before the lawmakers, but at the end of the day they will do what THEY want!

They passed laws on speeding and seatbelts, and guess what? If you don't speed and where your seatbelt, you have nothing to worry about. Now, apply the same logic to your guns, if you follow the laws, you won't be on their registry. Plain and simple.

Don't think for minute that I'm for stricter gun control, because I'm not.

PS----when your done with your crystal ball can I use it?
PPS---It's, "Nip it in the bud". Unless your into....nevermind

motoxmann

at first glance I would support this bill too. even at second glance, I still would support this bill. but at third glance, I still can't get past this part:
Statement of Purpose:
To help law enforcement officials intervene

that alone irks me

Ctclassic

.... why would you support this bill?

I would support it, because once you commit a felony with a firearm, you are 'owned' by the system. You lose some of your rights as a citizen, and for that reason I have no use for you.

Do you have young kids? Do you think it's a good idea to have a sex offender registry? I know I like knowing if there's a pedophile anywhere close. Do you care if the convicted pedophile minds if his/her name is on a registry, I sure as hell don't.

I'm not trying to change the subject matter Dave, I'm just trying to talk Rrrrrrreally simple for you.

I'll say it one more time ( for the last time ), there are many more bills that we need to focus on, instead of this one. IMO

davidmcbeth

Banned
Have u checked the "sex offenders" website ... they are all over. So many crimes have been added its a meaningless registry . And that's what will happen with the "gun registry"..will be meaningless.

I think that the sex offender registry is something to consider in its effect. It shows how something that sounds reasonable ends up just being meaningless...

And if you don't register? Bingo-jail.

We have enough folks in jail now...the felons should not have guns anyway, so what do you want?

It will take you 1 minute to file testimony to any bill ... recommend that this bill is worth 1 minute to note opposition

I'll make note of the registry comparisons ... good idea ..