• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 739 Eliminate BFPE

davidmcbeth

Banned
General Assembly Proposed Bill No. 739
January Session, 2013 LCO No. 1209
Referred to Committee on JUDICIARY
Introduced by:
SEN. LOONEY, 11th Dist.
AN ACT CONCERNING THE APPEAL OF FIREARMS PERMITTING
DECISIONS.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General
Assembly convened:
1 That section 29-32b of the general statutes be amended to eliminate
2 the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and provide that any person
3 aggrieved by a refusal to issue or renew a firearm permit or certificate,
4 a limitation or revocation of a firearm permit or certificate or a refusal
5 or failure to furnish an application for a firearm permit or certificate,
6 may appeal from such decision to the superior court.
Statement of Purpose:
To eliminate the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners and allow
individuals aggrieved by a decision of a firearms permit issuing
authority to appeal directly to the superior court.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Approved by a libertarian !

I support this bill ... even though its proposed by an idiot ... I guess even idiots can get it right once in their lifetime ... this one is it

Last edited:

motoxmann

I don't know which way to go on this. courts are not known for being timely, especially when large volumes add up. the head figures of the courts could also be biased in either direction, so it really is a big guess. my question too is if there'd be costs on behalf of the applicant to file something with the court.

to be honest though, it could end up being a very good thing, depending on what level of court system handles it. it could more easily develop into supreme court stuff, which could help strike down any unconstitutional laws. but again, a big guess, as it could go quite far in either direction

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Right now, the courts have said that 22 mo. waiting for a final BFPE decision is Okey-Dokey.

This would be an administrative appeal or de novo is most likely. Would have to be de novo hearing IMO.

One could make the filing fee zero or up to ninety bucks in the law.

Right now before the BFPE you are getting the shaft. They are egomaniacs and, while some people on this board think they are the greatest thing since sliced toast, violate everybody's civil rights with every single case heard, regardless of the outcome.

The BFPE needs to go away.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I fully support bill 739! and my brief in superior court has been filed! woot
maybe when the issuing authorities have to start shelling out for attorneys fees they will stop (some departments, not all) being a-holes

The board does not follow the LAW. Only lawyers can represent towns at BFPE hearings ... anyone who has a hearing and only a cop shows up should get a default judgment.

But the BFPE does not know the law, they are idiots.

bumble

so what would be the out of pocket cost for someone who needs to appeal a denial or revocation going thru the court system? what would be the average length of time that a person would be waiting to get thru this process in our courts? i have zero idea as to the answers to questions, which is why im asking.

i thought the current backlog was only 4 months or so, for the bpfe. and how exactly are they violating everyones civil rights? i cannot think of a single way they have violated any of my rights. and i was under the impression ( i say this because i have not been to every hearing personally) that the board overturns most denials, and has said that some of the towns are being just ridiculous. i dont think the bpfe is perfect, but i cant see having to make citizens go through the court system being better.

bouncer

davidmcbeth

Banned
A standard admin appeal runs about $500 to file and serve.

You cannot think of a single thing they do that violates peoples rights?

Do you know the procedures that they should follow v what they do?