• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possible to make sub-treads of states to accomidate new bills being introduced?

davidmcbeth

Banned
Man we have a lot of anti-gun legislation everywhere ... thinking to keep the main state treads cleaner and still have a place to post new bills ....

eye95

Yes. For every bill you encounter, you start a thread.

Don't forget to provide us the number, the primary sponsors, and a F U Q.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Yes. For every bill you encounter, you start a thread.

Don't forget to provide us the number, the primary sponsors, and a F U Q.

I post the entire bill so no clicky is required ... most all, if not all, of the information is there.

CT has ... oh .. about 50 bills itself ... they are anti-gun anti-gun here but people have been coming out and providing committees and subcommittees (have subcommittees in this piss ant state? yeah) ..

eye95

I post the entire bill so no clicky is required ...

I recommend against that. Some bills are hundreds of pages long, with only a tiny portion being of any significance. Check out HB495 in Ohio. It is huge, and most of it is cosmetic changes. The important part is a couple of paragraphs long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

KBCraig

I recommend against that. Some bills are hundreds of pages long, with only a tiny portion being of any significance. Check out HB495 in Ohio. It is huge, and most of it is cosmetic changes. The important part is a couple of paragraphs long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Ditto. For example, the Texas open carry bill, HB700, is a 36 page PDF. The actual changes to existing law could be accurately confined to a page, perhaps two.

If anyone wants an omnibus "pending legislation for year 20xx" thread, the best way is to ask for a sticky, and confine all legislative updates to that thread.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would not post such lengthy bill texts .. in CT they are 1 pg usually ... + I don't think the forum allows for a 50 page copy paste.

check out the CT bill postings .. for stuff really long, I would post a link with an abstract in the post body

I think people are missing the point though

eye95

Nope, nobody missed the point. You have been already given two excellent pieces of advice. Take them or leave them, but being ungrateful for them is unseemly.

1. Go ahead and start the threads in the State forums that matter to you.

2. Ask to have them stickied.

Your own advice on abstracts of lengthy bills, with a link to the full text, is also a good one.

Oh, and watch out for bills that simply list edits to existing code. It is almost impossible to understand a bill presented that way. Look for a presentation of what the new code will look like and cut-and-paste or abstract that, not the actual bill. Someone tried to prove what a bill would do simply by linking that crap and then leaving me to my own devices. All that did was peg my respect-o-meter to "None" when pointed at that poster.