• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond - Large Public Forum on Guns- Sponsored by Times Dispatch

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Richmond Times Dispatch.
300 E Franklin Street
Richmond, Va 23219
Tuesday January 29,
7-830 p.m.

Call 804-649-6305 to register - you must register because it is expected to fill up.

Richmond Times Dispatch is hosting a large forum on guns. Advertisement is in today's paper.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I got a ticket, and a sitter. Anyone else on the forum going ?

Got my ticket. See you there - I'll be the guy in the ATV running over toes.

Remember, the T-D building does not allow firearms. That's because their reporters are so safe around there at night - because it's not Norfolk. (Yet.)

stay safe.

riverrat10k

For those of you who can't be there - apparently you can watch the Town Hall on the TD website.

This.

Forgot to call this weekend, so I will be watching you guys. Was just told there is a waiting list of about 5 more people.
They are allowing about 220 in, they said.
Sorry I won't be able to make it, but it appears we will be well represented. Thanks Skidmark and Proshooter and the others who plan to attend!

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
What an absolute horrible experience. Some of those antis were so freaking nuts It scared me to think they may have driven an automobile to get to the venue. I was in Hell when that English woman spoke. The antis made the most rudest comments, If I ever do this again I won't behave; I'm going to do the same thing the antis did. They had a lady that insulted every man in the room and accused the men of being big bad bullies just for daring to be there to have an opinion. The people that spoke, and there were some that were not antis were by-and-large incoherent, possibly crazy and did not have a point. There were many occasions I was embarrassed to be there. My count was 2 people with a "Guns Save Lives" sticker got to speak. Every chance they got the antis made it personal attacks.

One of the highlights is when the retired Colonel who broke it off in that pediatrician and the young man that countered the idiot that wanted to ban rifles.

The question is "Can we have a civil conversation on guns?" My answer: No

riverrat10k

That is damn sad, T Dubya. Will be interesting to see how the TD spins this one in print. I was unable to "logon" to watch the festivities. Please provide more details if you have the stomach for it. Thx!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Was this a recorded event?

Yes, for varying values of "recorded".

I will try tomorrow to upload/download/offload my audio recorder record of the event - I just need to translate the Engrish into real words.

The RTD Opinion section whould have a link up by tomorrow for their presentation. I do not expect the entire thing to be available but they should at least have a few quotes along with their editorial position.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There was no conversation whatsoever. I freely admit I was part of the problem.

The format is not set up for a "conversation", let alone a "discusion". Someone gets up and states their viewpoint/position. The moderator hopes to find someone with an opposing viewpoint/position who will just say what it is, as opposed to trying to debate the previous speaker. That goes along swimmingly until about the third person. The audience decides to break out in applause for their side and stunned silence regarding the other side.

Reverend Shirley Snead was perhaps the most eloquent and mnost moving speaker, as well as focusing best of what everybody seemed to agree was behind the problem, if not the problem itself - behavior. She's a Black lady "of a certain age" living in the near burbs who has a 92-year old mother who lives in the city proper (Carver I think, but could be wrong). She told how she had thought of guns as evil, and had never wanted to be around them let alone want one of her own. But she has changed her mind - she wants to buy a gun and learn how to use it because "it is no longer safe" for her or her mother. She's mightily upset that she no longer is safe (not "does not feel safe" but actually is not safe) and is upset that there is no other solution, but she has to protect herself and protect her mother because nobody else can be there when evil is pushing past her door. (BTW, before she left tonight arrangements had been made to provide her with training. She said she would actually like to complete the training before she went out and bought her gun so she would know what to get. One very smart lady, that!)

Several simplistic versions of Utopia were offered, as well as one-step fixes such as only banning all rifled firearms - leaving the hunters their shotguns and thus not really being all that bad, and mandatory registration so the cops woud know how much firepower you possessed before they knocked on your door or got out of their squadcar to write you a parking ticket, and a few others. I did not hear anybody suggest total confiscation (although several spoke of the difficulty/impossibility of that) and some sort of mandatory training. A few folks pointed out that all of this was being directed at the law-abiding folks who are not going out killing schoolkids or folks at the movie theaters, in spite of an emotionally over-wrought naturalized citizen originally from (f)Great Britain who is just so afraid because of all the shootings that have happened lately and that she would need to carry a gun everywhere she went in order to protect herself when all she really wants to do is go grocery shopping or to watch a movie or just walk around the block.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yours truely was one of the last to speak, and I asked the young woman/mother that TDub described as being totally PO'd at all the men for being men just how we gun owners were supposed to participate in the compromises she said we must all agree to if we do all the giving and are not getting anything back. Proshooter was, IIRC, the last speaker. He was eloquent in addressing the fact that the problem was not being caused by all the law-abiding citizens but that all the proposed "solutions" would impact them but not those who were doing all the mass killings and home invasions and other bad stuff. Although he never actually said it, it sure sounded as if he was trying to explain that since criminals already do not obey the laws making up new ones was not suddenly going to change their ways.

In closing, let me assure you that AR-15s can be had for bewtween $1,500 and $1,700 from private sellers who advertise online and we were informed that as of this evening just before the program started there were three (3) currently available. (Woops! Jusat checked Armslist.com - they seem to be gone. But there is someone wanting to buy a tactical rifle for around $350.:uhoh:)

stay safe.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Proshooter was, IIRC, the last speaker. He was eloquent in addressing the fact that the problem was not being caused by all the law-abiding citizens but that all the proposed "solutions" would impact them but not those who were doing all the mass killings and home invasions and other bad stuff. Although he never actually said it, it sure sounded as if he was trying to explain that since criminals already do not obey the laws making up new ones was not suddenly going to change their ways.

That was the point that I was trying to make, in the 38 seconds that I was given. Apparently there was some snafu and someone didn't know that someone had invited me to be a guest speaker and thus, there were no seats left for me at the front of the room where the cool kids hung out.

ETA - I did get "cornered" (for lack of a better term) at the end by the overzealous young lady who apparently spends much time shopping for AR-15's on gunbroker. She was especially enthralled with my statement that I have no issue with background checks. She wanted me to join her in addressing the GA to call for mandatory background checks.

Last edited:

VAlitigator

My count is 6 members from the forum going. I saw Mark Mathews name on the roster when I registered.

I was there, answered the early question from the lady about "why are pro-gun folks against registration." There were some excellent comments (like skidmark's comments about SCOTUS rulings on police not having duty to assist, the Bonus Army comments, and more). There was also a bunch of weapons-grade stupid from the anti-gunners.

Let's see if I can recall a few highlights:

1. The lady whose question I answered followed up with a question that was basically "well, since the might of the US military is unstoppable as shown at Waco and Ruby Ridge, why not disarm and just make change thru the voting booth?" I was stunned. I really wanted to say either:

(A) "that's the moral equivalent of telling a woman who is about to be raped by a more powerful man 'honey, just relax and enjoy it'"

or

(B) "Malvo and Muhammed tied NoVA up in knots of fear for days and days, and they were just two knuckleheads with a simple plan. Give me 10 men with cool heads, who can follow orders, work as a team, shoot well, and are committed to their cause, and I can bring an entire state government to its knees without harming a single human."

Then I remembered we were being videotaped so I tried to politely tell her she was ignorant.

2. The rape victim who claims that she is only alive because she did NOT have a gun. If she was 9 years old at the time, OK, she might reasonably doubt her ability to effectively use a firearm. But damn, a woman in that position who has a gun has a duty to kill the rapist, for the sake of all the other women in the world. I'm still not sure where she was coming from since she started out saying that the current gun-control effort is necessary because it makes people "feel better," then she wrapped up by saying "get rational, people!" In between, she went off on the male-dominated tone of the evening, despite the fact that Tom Silvestri managed to get probably a 50-50 distribution of male to female speakers.

3. I'm still not sure if the English woman was afraid of the government or criminals.

4. I was chilled to the bone by the Vietnam veteran's story about gearing up during the Nixon administration to be unleashed on protesters.

Basically, there are two types of people in the world: those who find logic and reason useful in everyday life, and those who run on pure emotion. Some people are at the extremes, most people are somewhere in the middle. Once again, the anti-gun folks seemed to be more emotion-based and simply would not let facts interfere with their opinions. I thought the pro-gun side represented well.

Honorable Mention: the Nobel Prize for Shameless Self-Promotion is awarded to...... JIM REYNOLDS AND PROACTIVE SHOOTERS!!!!:banana:
LOL, just kidding Jim!

va_tazdad

Watching on the TD web site.

The "anti's" didn’t/don't want to talk FACTS, they want to talk FEELINGS.

Did I miss the part of the Constitution that guarantees "feelings"?????

I loved the 1st woman that stated that the factual presentation was nothing but propaganda because SHE SAID SO !!!!

Never mind the facts she presented were wrong. We are supposed to care more about HER feelings than OUR RIGHTS.

Good luck with that. LOL ;>)

VAlitigator

I forgot about the guy who said we should ban all rifled weapons, so that one could only assassinate the president with a shotgun. WTF was THAT all about? I am wondering if he was deliberately being "out there" to make the anti's look bad.