• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hundreds turn out for Seattle's first gun buy-back in 20 years

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Police officers collecting weapons during Seattle's first gun buyback program in more than 20 years were shocked when someone brought in with a military surface-to-air missile launcher Saturday.
According to a member of the Seattle Police Department’s bomb squad, the launcher was a single-use military device that had already been used once.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...buyback-event--used-before.html#ixzz2J7s6voGb
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Whoever bought that used Redeye missile tube for $100 over paid for it. It is a onetime use missile, it is now a fiberglass tube that is painted green. Yes I do know what I'm talking about. I fired one back in 1991.

theaero

It was very ironic, because many of the "private sale" folk trying to buy guns were walking around with several rifles and pistols each, because of this gun buyback. I thought the point was to get guns off the street. :p

If I understand correctly, police only took in about 200 guns?? (Correct me if this is incorrect), and only two "assault weapons". I would be willing to bet there was considerably more private sales that happened than police buybacks if that's the case. Police had to shutdown at noon, and reopen shortly after with target cards. They still ended up shutting down 1.5hours early.

Us "scalpers" stuck around until about 3:15ish.

I came across a few gems, but may resell a few. Put em on armslist to see if there is any interest. Otherwise they'll get cleaned up and turned into plinkers.

theaero

So, any clue as to how many people sold their guns to a private individual over being ripped off by the city?

Umm, I'm going to GUESS that throughout the entire day, there were about 40-60 people trying to buy guns. I would say (judging by what I saw), the average # of guns purchased was 3-4. Rough math and guesstimates, I'd say private citizens took home between 150-200 guns. Because of the issue with SPD not being able to supply enough gift cards, and ending early helped with those numbers quite a bit though.

skeith5

Umm, I'm going to GUESS that throughout the entire day, there were about 40-60 people trying to buy guns. I would say (judging by what I saw), the average # of guns purchased was 3-4. Rough math and guesstimates, I'd say private citizens took home between 150-200 guns. Because of the issue with SPD not being able to supply enough gift cards, and ending early helped with those numbers quite a bit though.

This! Although I saw a few people with a LOT more than 3-4. I personally picked up 6...

Scott

theaero

This! Although I saw a few people with a LOT more than 3-4. I personally picked up 6...

Scott

Yeah, I saw a few who had snagged a TON. I also saw more who snagged 1-2, so I figured it averages out to about 3-4 per sign? No way of really telling for sure. Kinda wish we did have some numbers, to compare to SPD's numbers.

skeith5

Yeah, I saw a few who had snagged a TON. I also saw more who snagged 1-2, so I figured it averages out to about 3-4 per sign? No way of really telling for sure. Kinda wish we did have some numbers, to compare to SPD's numbers.

Here's my haul...

2013-01-26162024_zps7f91bad4.jpg

2013-01-26161957_zps3093ba38.jpg

2013-01-26162010_zpsa86be864.jpg

XD45PlusP

Did anybody snag any WWII Rifles or Pistols? Please PM me. I'd like to buy em......

Thanks
XD

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I was with skeith and SVG, we had a blast. SVG ended up with all the free guns. He got a beautiful coach gun for no dollars. Good price.
I picked up four long guns and two pistols. New toys to clean. An Arisaka with intact mum and the soldiers graffiti on the leather sling. Thats history. I acquired a dirty little WW1 Mauser 98 made at Spandau.
The Winchester 1894 Cowboy in 3030 was good.

theaero

I was with skeith and SVG, we had a blast. SVG ended up with all the free guns. He got a beautiful coach gun for no dollars. Good price.
I picked up four long guns and two pistols. New toys to clean. An Arisaka with intact mum and the soldiers graffiti on the leather sling. Thats history. I acquired a dirty little WW1 Mauser 98 made at Spandau.

I wonder if I met you. I feel like I talked a bit with skeith, because I remember that 380 and the revolver.

amzbrady

I'm trying to figure out their math, $100 gift card for handguns and $200 gift cards for assault type weapons.

"Police said in the first two hours, more than 160 guns were turned in and $35,000 in gift cards were handed out". (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50586603/ns/local_news-seattle_wa/)

So that being said, say they took in only assault rifles, What is 160 times $200? Did SPD steal $3000 in gift cards?

Metalhead47

A personal thanks to you & the other folks there who managed to save some of those wonderful pieces of history from being lost. Melting down a perfectly good modern firearm is bad enough, but destroying tangible history like that, THAT should be a crime!
(and altho the wife probably won't let me, PM me if you want to sell that Arisaka ;))

Wonder how well that aluminum rebar they're planning to make from ALL THOSE :rolleyes: "assault weapons" they acquired will hold up....
asset.php
asset.php

adam3176

Gun buyback is really just PR. Criminals wont turn in weapons. The good people turn in Old weapons that may not work. Its PR so the Sheeple in front of the tv think Government wants to keep you Safe. As they Arm up their Private Military on UN payroll To Knock all of us on OUR ASS after they Disarm us. Or "TRY" I will protest any gun buyback as a Scam and BS.. And yes. Only the elderly turn in there old guns. And now there KIDS wont get them to Protect themselves..

https://www.youtube.com/user/adam3176?feature=mhee

Metalhead47

Gun buyback is really just PR. Criminals wont turn in weapons. The good people turn in Old weapons that may not work. Its PR so the Sheeple in front of the tv think Government wants to keep you Safe. As they Arm up their Private Military on UN payroll To Knock all of us on OUR ASS after they Disarm us. Or "TRY" I will protest any gun buyback as a Scam and BS.. And yes. Only the elderly turn in there old guns. And now there KIDS wont get them to Protect themselves..

Some friendly grammatical advice bro... your conspiracy theorist posts might be a lot more effective if you familiarized yourself with the difference between "their" and "there." :rolleyes::p

Z1P2

Gun buyback is really just PR. Criminals wont turn in weapons.
Sure they will. Think about it, it's the perfect chance to ditch murder weapons since the cops destroy them without running ballistics on them or dusting for prints or even getting the name of the person that turned it in. It's the perfect way to ditch a murder weapon and have the cops cover up the evidence of your crime out of their incompetence and hubris.

The good people turn in Old weapons that may not work.
If I were near Seattle I would have bought a bunch of toy guns that looked real enough and turned them in for a hell of a payday... a payday I'd use to buy a new AR with 30-round mag. :lol:

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

If I were near Seattle I would have bought a bunch of toy guns that looked real enough and turned them in for a hell of a payday... a payday I'd use to buy a new AR with 30-round mag. :lol:

There were a lot of that going on, old pellet guns, even new ones that were cheap.