• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hundreds turn out for Seattle's first gun buy-back in 20 years

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
If I were near Seattle I would have bought a bunch of toy guns that looked real enough and turned them in for a hell of a payday..................:lol:

I was there. A guy came out laughing because he went to walmart, bought four BBguns at $20 ea. He gave them to mayor macgrimm for US$100 each. And did everybody see the "face recog" cameras set up on the receiving line?

I had to put a rebuttal on the UK Daily Mail. Our little enterprise went international.

sudden valley gunner

I was there. A guy came out laughing because he went to walmart, bought four BBguns at $20 ea. He gave them to mayor macgrimm for US$100 each. And did everybody see the "face recog" cameras set up on the receiving line?

I had to put a rebuttal on the UK Daily Mail. Our little enterprise went international.

Link? Manchester is outlawing paper clips I heard, too dangerous!

skeith5

Nice looking M1903!!!!

How much work is it going to be to get all those rifles right-side up, though?

That m1903 requires NO work, I cleaned it up last night and gave it a good oiling. The mechanics work and there lock up is tight. I'll take it out to shoot this week. The .380 and the .22 lever will take no work as well. 1 of the Mossbergs just needs a good cleaning, the other will require minor work. The revolver needs a couple parts but I have had a few offers for it already.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

skeith5

I wonder if I met you. I feel like I talked a bit with skeith, because I remember that 380 and the revolver.

Probably did see all of us. I bought the .380 right before we left. I had an a grey WSU hoodie.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

amlevin

Sure they will. Think about it, it's the perfect chance to ditch murder weapons since the cops destroy them without running ballistics on them or dusting for prints or even getting the name of the person that turned it in. It's the perfect way to ditch a murder weapon and have the cops cover up the evidence of your crime out of their incompetence and hubris.

Are you sure of that? Who's to say that there aren't a lot of pictures of those handing in firearms in some digital camera that was taking pic's from "behind the scene"? Remember, the police wanted people to leave the firearms in their vehicles until they were contacted by an officer. That puts a vehicle license number in conjunction with any turned in firearm.

Who knows.

BTW, did anyone pick up on McGinn's comments on the TV News? He used the presence of all the "buyers" as an "example of why current gun laws are crazy". Expect him to use this when arguing for changes in the State

preemption statute

amlevin

That m1903 requires NO work, I cleaned it up last night and gave it a good oiling. The mechanics work and there lock up is tight. I'll take it out to shoot this week.

Unless you have had lots of experience with 1903's, do yourself a favor and check the Serial No on any one of the many '03 websites. Some are "Shooters" and others are "wall hangers" due to their time of production. Also make sure you have a properly heat treated bolt, again, the sites will explain.

They're great rifles to shoot if they aren't from early production or equipped with a "brittle bolt". Have one myself that has been shooting straight in my family for over 60 years.

Nice looking, just be safe.

amzbrady

They say they are planning another gun buy back, date yet to come.

Did anyone see any AR's come thru. Thats what I would want to pick up.

Sad thing is, I heard an interview on the radio from a guy that turned in an antique 22 deringer that had been in the family for years. I hate to think of all the history that will be lost.

aa1911

man, think how safe we are now!! this is insane, people actually believe they're safer? guns off the streets? huh...

saw on the news last night, half of an AK and a bunch of old single shots, stuff that was NEVER going to be used in street crime. And if you're willingly giving it up, it's pretty doubtful that they were criminals about to commit crimes with them.

When will they learn. LAC's owning guns are not a problem, but part of many solutions rather.

Dave Workman

Y'all done good! Now start saving for the next time around.

And there was a punch line for me...

Seattle’s ‘buyback’ nets mayoral hypocrisy, interesting math

Turnout at Seattle’s much-ballyhooed gun “buyback” Saturday was reportedly very good with “hundreds” of people showing up, but if one is to believe details of all the reports, there is some curious math at work.

http://www.examiner.com/article/sea...al-hypocrisy-interesting-math?cid=db_articles

ShelbyGuy

Here's my haul...

2013-01-26162024_zps7f91bad4.jpg

2013-01-26161957_zps3093ba38.jpg

2013-01-26162010_zpsa86be864.jpg

that lever action looks tasty, great score!

Lord Sega

Seattle's math don't add up...

LINK

Various reports put the buy back at 160 firearms (and 1 used rocket launcher).
They had $120,000 in financial support OR $80,000 in gift certificates, depending what numbers you go by.

That's $500 each (at $80K) or $750 each (at $120K).

But they were offering $100 gift cards for handguns, $200 for rifles.

I know, I went to public school, but even to me something is not adding up here.
Washington / Seattle taxpayers need to demand an accounting, someone's wasting or pocketing the funds according to those numbers.

And as a separate side note: I love how there are comments about private buys not having background checks at the city's "no questions asked" buy back. Logic anyone?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Cool....my winchester 94 was made in 1937. The colt police positive (detective special) w/4.5 barrel was made for the "Railway Express Agency" and was carried by a 'railroad dick'. A nickle plated one was carried by both Al Capone and Paul Kersey. Neat. Sweet Baboo wants to Open Carry it after I get a holster.

sudden valley gunner

Y'all done good! Now start saving for the next time around.

And there was a punch line for me...

Seattle’s ‘buyback’ nets mayoral hypocrisy, interesting math

Turnout at Seattle’s much-ballyhooed gun “buyback” Saturday was reportedly very good with “hundreds” of people showing up, but if one is to believe details of all the reports, there is some curious math at work.

http://www.examiner.com/article/sea...al-hypocrisy-interesting-math?cid=db_articles

Good Article Dave.

There actually quite a few people doing back ground checks by making sure buyers had CPL's, others were not.

The "rocket launcher" was not collected by the PD ,sold privately, and the reporter I talked to told me the PD told her it was only good for hitting someone over the head with.

Ironically I saw the lady that told me they were going to take all the guns from us at the cease fire rally, on the enemy side of the gate, while we bought many weapons on the friendly side of the gate. Amusing.

I had told her when she said she was going to take all our guns "Good Luck". Was glad she got to witness us taking her threat seriously and not letting them take them all. ;)

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

Good Article Dave.

There actually quite a few people doing back ground checks by making sure buyers had CPL's, others were not.

The "rocket launcher" was not collected by the PD ,sold privately, and the reporter I talked to told me the PD told her it was only good for hitting someone over the head with.

Ironically I saw the lady that told me they were going to take all the guns from us at the cease fire rally, on the enemy side of the gate, while we bought many weapons on the friendly side of the gate. Amusing.

I had told her when she said she was going to take all our guns "Good Luck". Was glad she got to witness us taking her threat seriously and not letting them take them all. ;)

It was nice to see some OC'rs out there. There were some CC'rs there that didn't care much for OC'rs, at least I got a hint of it passing by.

Sounds like a great deal, the guy bought the green scary looking tube for a hundred bucks, then sold it to the police for two hundred.

EMNofSeattle

It was nice to see some OC'rs out there. There were some CC'rs there that didn't care much for OC'rs, at least I got a hint of it passing by.

Sounds like a great deal, the guy bought the green scary looking tube for a hundred bucks, then sold it to the police for two hundred.

You know what, for the first time ever I'm going to file for my tax refunds, pay day is coming and hopefully before the next buy back, what can I arm up for 300 bucks the government supposedly owes me? hehehehe

BTW where did the "street sweeper shotguns" come from? those are illegal last I heard, and Why weren't they shown on the news? I think McGinn is lying about the stryker shotguns, he made it up. did anyone actually see streetsweepers being turned in?

Beretta92FSLady

You know what, for the first time ever I'm going to file for my tax refunds, pay day is coming and hopefully before the next buy back, what can I arm up for 300 bucks the government supposedly owes me? hehehehe

BTW where did the "street sweeper shotguns" come from? those are illegal last I heard, and Why weren't they shown on the news? I think McGinn is lying about the stryker shotguns, he made it up. did anyone actually see streetsweepers being turned in?

The scary green tube was on the front page of the Seattle Times, yesterday.

Hopefully, I will have a couple of bucks for the next buyback...I've been wanting to get a 12 gauge pump...or a coach.