• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FINALLY some information on leaving your firearm in a car in a parking lot on NSHE.

CE310QT

I finally have gotten an audience with Chief Jose Elique of UNLV Campus Police regarding concealed carry.

Neal R Smatresk, UNLV President flat denied permission to carry a firearm on campus. (I know this is CCW related, but it has OC implications).

I educated him that the law does not explicitily prohibit a firearm being locked in a vehicle in the campus parking lot, as a parking lot is neither a "building" or "office space", nor the immediate premises thereof. (I had some lawyer help here). See 202.265.

I work at an Armory/Firing Range in Henderson where I am required to carry a firearm while working.

I have been locking my handgun in a case according to FOPA since 2010 and leaving it in the car. Never had an issue, but then again, never have consented to a search.

I will post the results of my meeting with Chief Elique as soon as I have them.

varminter22

Good luck with Jose Elique. He is NOT on our side, by any stretch of the imagination.

My notes while attending the March 18, 2011 SB-231 (Campus Carry bill), hearing:

UNLV Cop Jose Elique testified in opposition. Said this bill will result in more threats to the campus community and to the weapons carrier – special places require different type of policing. He said he will respond tactically to all people with a gun – will “aggressively take themdown.” He said, “…officers always lookfor anyone with a firearm in their hands or on their person. During these scenarios anyone with a weapon could very likely be shot.” [Bold/underline is his original emphasis.]

Apparently, Elique is not award of the 2
[SUP]nd[/SUP]nor 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendments; apparently, he will take you down even ifprobable cause or reasonable suspicion does not exist; apparently Elique does not understand the legal premise that the mere possession of a firearm is NOT probable cause nor reasonable suspicion that a crime has been, or is about tobe, committed.

He said the eight-hour CCW training does not prepare citizens. Funny he isn’t aware of the vast numbers of law-abiding citizens (both with AND without permits) using firearms to thwart crime.

He said CCW on campus would serve no usefulpurpose. He testified the UNLV president has issued ZERO permits. Also of note, Elique testified that CCW training does not train CCW permittees how to neutralize an active shooter. This inspite of NSCA Exec Dir Frank Adams’ testimony that the primary purpose of a CCWpermit is to allow one to defend himself/herself only – NOT to “save the day” (his words, meaning not to act as law enforcement.)

Elique went on to say “…the premise that an elementary trained individual could successfully thwart an attack by an armed assailant is flawed.” Apparently, Elique is not aware of the annual tens of thousands of incidents of law-abiding citizens’ use of firearms to thwart attacks.

Elique appeared to be anti-CCW altogether.

The Big Guy

He said he will respond tactically to all people with a gun – will “aggressively take themdown.” He said, “…officers always lookfor anyone with a firearm in their hands or on their person. During these scenarios anyone with a weapon could very likely be shot.” .

Hmmm! Sounds like premeditation to me.

TBG

Nevada carrier

If you recall, Chief Elique was not present at the assembly hearing. I happen to know through some confidential sources that he got himself in some real hot water over his Senate Committee testimony. UNLV's general council basically told him to shut the hell up from now on because what he said was now a matter of public record and was incredibly damaging should a UNLV officer being involved in an OIS.

CE310QT

No dice. Chief Elique denied my request per this letter.

I am responding to your January 26th, 2012 e-correspondence to UNLV President Neal Smatresk. Thank you for your inquiry regarding carrying and/or storing a weapon on the UNLV campus. We are sorry to deny your request. It is UNLV policy that only sworn Nevada law enforcement (peace) officers and federal law enforcement officers may carry concealed weapons on UNLV property. I have attached electronic copies of this signed letter and the Nevada statute related to this issue for your records. If you are interested in viewing the Nevada Statute pertaining to your request (NRS 202.265), you can find at http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec265.

Jose A Elique
Chief of Police/Director of Police Services
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
702-895-3368

Talking to my lawyer tomorrow.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
He did not address your question at all.

In NV, "concealed weapons" have nothing to do with firearms stored in vehicles.

Why is he "sorry to deny your request?" Maybe he knows he/they is/are wrong?

Last edited: