• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Traverse County Open Carry Report

tctrojan24

i am eighteen, obviously i can't concealed carry until im 21. wondering what a good website to learn the open carry regulations for michigan and grand traverse country, because i would like to open carry around town.

alphamale

You are on such a site.... This is about the best place I have visited yet on the subject. Nice to see younger people exercising their rights, and not just their thumbs playing Xbox. I am pretty sure if you have any questions there are a number of people here that will know, or find the answer in short order for you, or direct you to finding those answers yourself.

i am eighteen, obviously i can't concealed carry until im 21. wondering what a good website to learn the open carry regulations for michigan and grand traverse country, because i would like to open carry around town.

Raggs

Ask questions here and for the most part you will get good answers.

DLarsen

Grand Traverse Mall OC/CC Policy - Straight from the General Manager

After my encounter with mall security, no posted signs, and conflicting information, I went to the mall this morning (3/8/13) to speak to the GM. I asked him what, if any, was the Mall policy on open or conceal carry. After some discussion, including the MCRGO website listing anti-gun businesses, he said they do not allow either in the building. I informed him that since I was not allowed to protect my family while in the building, that I would not be shopping there anymore, and that I would be happy to post their business on the list so that others would know that they are not welcome there either.

fire suppressor

After my encounter with mall security, no posted signs, and conflicting information, I went to the mall this morning (3/8/13) to speak to the GM. I asked him what, if any, was the Mall policy on open or conceal carry. After some discussion, including the MCRGO website listing anti-gun businesses, he said they do not allow either in the building. I informed him that since I was not allowed to protect my family while in the building, that I would not be shopping there anymore, and that I would be happy to post their business on the list so that others would know that they are not welcome there either.

Thanks for the update it's always frustrating when a company takes the easy way out. If they really do have a anti gun policy it is there responsibility to post signs I was in the mall a few days ago and still did not see any

jeepen

I've been CC'ing for about 4 years and will occassionally OC. Never had a problem until recently at Grand Traverse Mall. Had my kids with me and let them play at the kids area. Took my coat off and sat down. Eventually, a security guard walked past, stopped, called on his talkie, and 2 others showed up. One approached and asked to talk to me, and informed me that they did not allow CC or OC in the mall. This surprised me as I have OC'd there often and was never approached. He was "sure" that this was posted at all the entrances as well. We walked to the main entrance, and as I stood there watching him read the sign, he said, "well, we'll have to fix that, 'cuz I'm sure they don't allow it."
I have contacted the Mall twice asking what their policy is, with no reply as of yet.

Ok so this is my first post on this. So first off by say that I’ve followed you guys for some time and I love what you do and stand for. With that being said I will now start open carrying more in town. Just didn’t like being alone.
Now for all this stuff at the mall. I was the security guard that you talk and told you couldn’t open carry at the mall. The mall policy on open carry is that it is not allowed, CC is allowed because if it done right we don’t see and don’t know about. I have told the mall operation that there needs to be a sign prohibiting OC in the mall. But good luck trying to get them to do anything. I can tell you this I hate this mall and how its ran and I don’t agree with 90% of the things it does and says. They have so many rules that I don’t agree with and when someone question them “we”(as security) are just supposed to say that this is private property and you can leave. And if you refused we call county and trespass you. I don’t agree with this at all and as a supervisor here I don’t enforce half of their rules that are wrong. I know that I have friends that are very strong supporters of the 2nd amendment and they have tried to organize a flash mob to come here and protest their no sign and lack mall management corporations. I will also till you that in the security office in my bag I carry my SW MP40 every day that I am here.

I do apologize if I upset you by asking you to place you weapon back in your car. I was still new at the time and not as involved in OC as I am now.

DanM

I was the security guard that you talk and told you couldn’t open carry at the mall. . . .

Welcome aboard, and thanks for manning-up to come here to talk about it and the apology. Also, hope to see you at a gathering!

The mall policy on open carry is that it is not allowed, CC is allowed because if it done right we don’t see and don’t know about. I have told the mall operation that there needs to be a sign prohibiting OC in the mall. But good luck trying to get them to do anything. . . .

My approach would be:
If something's not posted for the public to abide by, then I may or may not "see" it.

Oh, that person was OC'ing? Darn, I didn't see that. I was busy dealing with violations of the *posted* rules.