• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Traverse County Open Carry Report

fire suppressor

This new thread is designed as a place for people in Grand Traverse County to share their open carry experiences. This is a thread idea I am copying from Washington State OCDO and personally I always found it encouraging to read others peoples open carry experiences from people in my area. It is encouraging for me to know I am not the only one practicing open carry in my are. I hope you all will enjoy this and get as much encouragement from it as I have over the years

1-26-13

Started the day out by a trip to Shooters to test fire a few guns I do not own. I walked in open carrying my Springfield XD 40 and as expected I had no problems what so ever. It was busy when I got there at 1100 and found the staff to be very friendly and they did a great job of getting everyone through the long line and into a shooting lane. I got my Michigan CPL last week but due to work I have not yet been able to open carry around town other than inside my vehicle. This was a great place to officially open carry in Michigan for the first time.

After Shooters it was lunch time so I stopped in at Panda North to try the sushi buffet. The food was good, the service was great and once again no problems with my XD. To be honest the staff may not have even noticed it. I walked in with my coat on, took it off at the table and the way my jacket naturally draped over my chair the side of my coat may have acted as concealment. Either way I had a nice long casual lunch without any problems. All and all it was a great first time open carrying in Michigan state. And boy did it feel good to have my gun next to my side again!

NMadole

I opened carryed up around TC for a bit today. So far I've been in Gander Moutain, MC Sports, Qdoba, Home Depot and a local park
At Ace today a guy complimented me on my T-Shirt

319783_10101012812607435_1346848366_n.jpg

Last edited:

alphamale

Nice to see people actually OC around these parts. I wonder how many OC around Emmett county, or am I the only one?

fire suppressor

I opened carryed up around TC for a bit today. So far I've been in Gander Moutain, MC Sports, Qdoba, Home Depot and a local park
At Ace today a guy complimented me on my T-Shirt

View attachment 9921

It's really nice to know Qdoba is OC friendly, Traverse has two of them was it the one near Gander Mountain or the one near Family Video? We do not have any Qdoba's back home and I love going to them

NMadole

It's really nice to know Qdoba is OC friendly, Traverse has two of them was it the one near Gander Mountain or the one near Family Video? We do not have any Qdoba's back home and I love going to them

Not sure if they are OC Friendly, they didnt seem to even notice....I was at the one by gander mountain

alphamale

Does anyone know what the Bob Evan's restaurant position is on open carry? Petoskey has a new one and I might drive up there...

DanM

Do we really need a separate OC experiences for different areas? If so we should have one for Detroit area and West Michigan.

Keeping "exercise/experience" postings in as few threads as possible is a good idea. But I can see trying to experiment with stand-alone threads like this, to see if it spurs OC growth in an area.

It will live or die, depending on its usage. If this thread doesn't get good traffic, it will scroll down below to oblivion or be deleted eventually. If OC is increasing because people from that area read this thread and get motivated to participate and post here, that's fabulous and this thread stays at the top. Sort of Darwinian really, so I'm not too concerned with this separate thread because "natural selection" will take care of whether it goes away or not. :)

If this thread stays strong, after a while I would say it accomplished its mission to grow OC in the area (or whatever its purpose is) and we should talk amongst ourselves if the area is ready to fold into using the general "experiences" thread. Of course, our GTC sisters and brothers make the final call on that, since--bottom line--they know best what thread suits them and they can post any where they damned well please (in line with TOU of course). I trust their intelligence and sensibility on those decisions later.

Last edited:

Raggs

They can post where they want though it seems like a duplicate thread

Keeping "exercise/experience" postings in as few threads as possible is a good idea. But I can see trying to experiment with stand-alone threads like this, to see if it spurs OC growth in an area.

It will live or die, depending on its usage. If this thread doesn't get good traffic, it will scroll down below to oblivion or be deleted eventually. If OC is increasing because people from that area read this thread and get motivated to participate and post here, that's fabulous and this thread stays at the top. Sort of Darwinian really, so I'm not too concerned with this separate thread because "natural selection" will take care of whether it goes away or not. :)

If this thread stays strong, after a while I would say it accomplished its mission to grow OC in the area (or whatever its purpose is) and we should talk amongst ourselves if the area is ready to fold into using the general "experiences" thread. Of course, our GTC sisters and brothers make the final call on that, since--bottom line--they know best what thread suits them and they can post any where they damned well please (in line with TOU of course). I trust their intelligence and sensibility on those decisions later.

fire suppressor

2-4

I am currently open carrying at burger king on south airport and garfield. Not much foot traffic right now. The drive through is packed but inside is slow. I do not believe anyone has even noticed my gun

Last edited:

fire suppressor

Personally it helps encourage me to open carry much more frequently. Isn't that the entire point of this forum? Reading about people open carrying in Detroit dose little if anything to help encourage me to open carry. But when I read about people in my area who are so far unseen practicing open carry it gives me conference and motivation knowing I am not alone

DanM

Personally it helps encourage me to open carry much more frequently. Isn't that the entire point of this forum? Reading about people open carrying in Detroit dose little if anything to help encourage me to open carry. But when I read about people in my area who are so far unseen practicing open carry it gives me conference and motivation knowing I am not alone

I'm down with whatever is going to increase our numbers of OC'ers in Michigan. If this thread is doing it, more power to it! :)

knifemaker

Nice to see people actually OC around these parts. I wonder how many OC around Emmett county, or am I the only one?

Maybe we should make this a NW Michigan thread. I live, and OC, in the Petoskey area. I have never had any problems. I did have a long, interesting, but friendly, conversation with a tourist/grad student from Berkley last summer.

fire suppressor

I had a great time open carrying yesterday at B.C Pizza in Traverse City. It is one of my favorite places to go in town and I was a little nervous about open carrying there because I did not want to ruin a good thing. I am happy to report I had a nice long leisurely lunch without any problems. I am not positive that any staff even noticed my bio tone XD but I did get a few looks from other people eating in the restaurant. Most of the looks I got where from the same man about my age who looked at me more with a looks of approval than anything else

DLarsen

Grand Traverse Mall

I've been CC'ing for about 4 years and will occassionally OC. Never had a problem until recently at Grand Traverse Mall. Had my kids with me and let them play at the kids area. Took my coat off and sat down. Eventually, a security guard walked past, stopped, called on his talkie, and 2 others showed up. One approached and asked to talk to me, and informed me that they did not allow CC or OC in the mall. This surprised me as I have OC'd there often and was never approached. He was "sure" that this was posted at all the entrances as well. We walked to the main entrance, and as I stood there watching him read the sign, he said, "well, we'll have to fix that, 'cuz I'm sure they don't allow it."
I have contacted the Mall twice asking what their policy is, with no reply as of yet.