• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UR Professor (who likes to shoot) wants to ban weapons

Repeater

Oh look, another well-educated Progressive who wants gun control:

The Mad Minute
Ever heard of a Mad Minute? A skilled British infantryman in the trenches of World War I France reportedly could get 60 shots off, in as many seconds, with his bolt-action Lee-Enfield rifle. The kaiser's soldiers thought at first that they were facing machine guns. Ordinary citizens can get nowhere close to that rate of fire; the best I've done in 60 seconds with an Enfield has been to empty its 10-round magazine. That's already more than I'd ever need for deer hunting.

See, he likes to shoot. But wait ...
For those who don't know guns well, it's a question of rates of fire and types of bullets. Most pistol rounds won't punch through a wall or body armor. Most rifle rounds of sufficient velocity and type can. Others are made just to kill effectively. Though the .223 round of the AR-15 sounds not much bigger than that from a .22 rifle, the .223 is high-speed, and some types are designed to fragment on impact, each bit deflecting when hitting a bone to inflict horrendous tissue damage.

Such firepower makes arming teachers — something Gov. Bob McDonnell and Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli apparently favor — a ludicrous idea. If you want to stop a man with an assault weapon and body armor, you need a similar weapon and protection, not a 9 mm in a shoulder holster.

He recommends:
As the House and Senate begin debating the President's proposals, I call on them to go further still:

• Ban rifles with high rates of fire and chambered for high-velocity ammo. Ban magazines holding more than 10 rounds. Ban devices such as the Slide-Fire and military-style ammo that fragments on impact. No more could be manufactured, imported or most importantly, resold without federal paperwork.

• Make it illegal to transfer existing assault rifles and large-cap magazines after a certain date, unless both buyer and seller file federal forms. This was long the case for fully automatic weapons under Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986. Though provisions for registration, dating from the 1930s Haynes Act, were struck down by the Supreme Court in the 1960s, the supply of the sorts of guns Al Capone used has effectively stagnated. Though well-heeled criminals can get fully automatic weapons illegally, when did a madman last "rock and roll" in America with a submachine gun?

• Close the gun-show loophole for all firearms. Exhibitors could raise the admission fees to cover the costs of several kiosks for background checks.

• Fund security guards for all public schools. Here I agree with many conservatives. The limits are obvious; armed guards didn't stop the carnage at Columbine, and those with weapons in schools need police-style tactical training.

Under my plan, those with assault weapons, or even machine guns, could continue to hoard them just in case the black helicopters and the New World Order descend on their cul-de-sac. Want to kill big game? Buy a bolt-action weapon, a good scope, and practice your aim. Want to kill a burglar? Try hollow points and other ammo designed for close combat, not fragmenting after hitting a torso at 500 yards.

Remember, he likes to shoot, so that makes his advice okay.

essid_joe.jpg

[size=+1]Dr. Joe Essid, expert[/size]

papa bear

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King Jr.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If we only preach to the choir, it is easy to take him apart.

The problem is not with "convincing" the anti-gun rights folks, as they have already decided.

We need to address ourselves to the "undecided" and those that "don't know". And we need to do it in a way that does not appear to be antagonistic towards Dr. Essid and the rest of the anti-gun rights side.

The folks we need to win over are not going to be swayed with technical data, or by reasoned exposition of the Constitution and the laws. They are going to be won over when they believe (there's that word!) that in spite of all the terribleness of guns and bullets, those things are just as safe in their hands as they believe (!) cars and belt sanders and five-gallon buckets are. But everybody drives a car, and quite a few have either used a belt sanderr or seen someone they know use one, and more than likely a few of them have five-gallon buckets in their own homes. Guns, to them, are just like your four-speed, floor-mounted, manual transmission car with the glass-pack pipes was/is to your 15 1/2 year old daughter who has a grand total of 3 minutes behind the wheel and 25 seconds of actually pointing a moving automobile down the road/across the parking lot. We need to get them to think of guns the way 17-year olds think of automobiles.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
AR-15s are semi-automatic guns and do not have a high rate of fire. Full auto guns are already heavily regulated and controlled.

The magazines to which he refers are standard capacity for which the guns were designed.

Requiring private sale to go through a "check" is nothing but a registration scheme by another name.

His homework assignment should be to get his facts straight = grade awarded D-
Would have been an F, but he likes to shoot guns.:lol:

Might be better to ban professors that speak outside their area of expertise.

KBCraig

I've certainly heard of the Mad Minute, and owning several Lee-Enfields I've given it a go a few times. My weak point is reloading via strippers, but I can put 10/10 out of the first magazine on a torso target at 100 yards in 20 seconds, easily. If this "expert" can't empty the mag on an Enfield in less than 60 seconds, he's an utterly incompetent idiot.

va_tazdad

The world is full of sheep like Dr. Joe

What he will refuse to admit, is that it is the 2nd Amendment that protects his right under the 1st to spew his deranged ideas.

He will also never admit thet the Founding Fathers owned "assault weapons" of their day, or that without them, this country would not exist.

As always, we will have to protect HIS rights but he will not defend ours.

davidmcbeth

Banned
He will also never admit thet the Founding Fathers owned "assault weapons" of their day, or that without them, this country would not exist.

And that the founding fathers knew that guns would be improved (like they were before) and yet still wrote the 2nd amendment...

This guy must think the people who wrote the document were complete idiots..

Old Virginia Joe

I feel confident in speculating that here is yet another example of a fairly recent specimen of " . . . .The wretched refuse of your teeming shore . . . ." here in America to tell us traditional Americans, whose Fathers founded this place, how we should live our lives according to how they do things "in their country." I cannot even find a source on Google as to where the name Essid even comes from, but wherever it is, I bet they say words like Pah-ki-stahn there, and I doubt his real first name is Joseph.

va_tazdad

The Facts

I own multiple guns, but I do not hunt. I practice regularly to stay fluid and accurate. I open carry and concealed carry. Does that make me a bad or Dangerous person? Not in my opinion.

All my guns have harmed and killed less people than the Kennedy family’s cars and golf clubs.

Perhaps Congress should pass a law prohibiting Kennedy procreation!

Marco

davidmcbeth

Banned
The magazines to which he refers are standard capacity for which the guns were designed.

Yes, when I talk to my legislators they say "what, these are high capacity mags"...then I show them invoices that local PDs buy and for "extra 30 rd std magazines" and then they say "what? these look like high capacity mags?"

You cannot fix stupid.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, when I talk to my legislators they say "what, these are high capacity mags"...then I show them invoices that local PDs buy and for "extra 30 rd std magazines" and then they say "what? these look like high capacity mags?"

You cannot fix stupid.

Keep hammering - it is the only thing that works on hard heads. :lol:

Facts, facts and more facts.