• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Wolf ammo

Raffie

I read "This ammo does have the polymer steel case to eliminate any lacquer build up"

So would anyone say this is true?
I could shoot Wolf ammo and not have issues like the lacquer did?

I was told after so many rounds the chamber would get hot and the lacquer would build up and the round would fuse in there, but a meer $25o to a gun smith to fix it. :cry:

Thoughts?

WalkingWolf

I read "This ammo does have the polymer steel case to eliminate any lacquer build up"

So would anyone say this is true?
I could shoot Wolf ammo and not have issues like the lacquer did?

I was told after so many rounds the chamber would get hot and the lacquer would build up and the round would fuse in there, but a meer $25o to a gun smith to fix it. :cry:

Thoughts?

I have never had any problems with wolf ammo. Actually I have steel case lacquer 9X18 sub machine gun ammo. I bought it by mistake, it is what the Soviet block military used in a sub machine gun. I would imagine if they had problems with it they would not have used it for a machine gun.

Raffie

I got some I wanted to shoot using my 9mm upper.
Read around and answers are very hit/miss....

zack991

I will clear this myth up again, the lacquer is not the reason you get stuck casings, the steel case does not seal as tight as brass does in the chamber which allows carbon to get around in the chamber where the casing goes into battery. So when you shoot a lot, the carbon causes the cases to stick in the chamber that can cause a number of issues when it trys to extract the casing. The reason they switched to a polymer coated round was to help the round to not corrode, as well aiding in extracting for a sticky chamber. Also a lot of people who use their ammo in their AR, good chance are their AR does NOT have a true 5.56 chamber as per mil spec. Many non mil spec rifles have .223 SAAMI Chamber. A very small few will use a 5.56 chamber. The barrel should be marked, usually in front of the front site base somewhere. If the chamber is .223 then there is your issue, as Wolf is 5.56 cased. If your going to buy a AR this is another good reason to go with a 100% mil spec rifle to begin with, reliability issues are more common with really cheap AR's. Also cheap ARs have a lot of issues with being over or under gassed because of their poor quality control which will make problems with wolf more pronounced. I have put well over 13,000 rounds of wolf through my LMT MRP Piston AR and I have not had a single issue with wolf. It also will not break a extractor because it is steel cased, the ammo is a very soft steel compared to a harden steel extractor. Even if it did, the cost savings of the cheaper ammo to train with over a 20 dollar part speaks for itself. The people that have claimed the ammo broke their extractors were again not mil spec rifles and did not have the proper 5.56 chamber. There are pros and cons with going with a cheaper AR but in my opine of owning both types it is not worth the headache to go with a non mil spec rifle.

Last edited:

mpguy

I will clear this myth up again, the lacquer is not the reason you get stuck casings, the steel case does not seal as tight as brass does in the chamber which allows carbon to get around in the chamber where the casing goes into battery. So when you shoot a lot, the carbon causes the cases to stick in the chamber that can cause a number of issues when it trys to extract the casing. The reason they switched to a polymer coated round was to help the round to not corrode, as well aiding in extracting for a sticky chamber. Also a lot of people who use their ammo in their AR, good chance are their AR does NOT have a true 5.56 chamber as per mil spec. Many non mil spec rifles have .223 SAAMI Chamber. A very small few will use a 5.56 chamber. The barrel should be marked, usually in front of the front site base somewhere. If the chamber is .223 then there is your issue, as Wolf is 5.56 cased. If your going to buy a AR this is another good reason to go with a 100% mil spec rifle to begin with, reliability issues are more common with really cheap AR's. Also cheap ARs have a lot of issues with being over or under gassed because of their poor quality control which will make problems with wolf more pronounced. I have put well over 13,000 rounds of wolf through my LMT MRP Piston AR and I have not had a single issue with wolf. It also will not break a extractor because it is steel cased, the ammo is a very soft steel compared to a harden steel extractor. Even if it did, the cost savings of the cheaper ammo to train with over a 20 dollar part speaks for itself. The people that have claimed the ammo broke their extractors were again not mil spec rifles and did not have the proper 5.56 chamber. There are pros and cons with going with a cheaper AR but in my opine of owning both types it is not worth the headache to go with a non mil spec rifle.

Wolf and Tula are the same yes? If so, I'll testify, 300 of 450 round give or take, have been with steel in my M&P .45.

With proper gun maintenance, I don't see anyone having problems, unless you have a picky gun.

Raffie

@zack991

Actually its Wolf 9mm for my 9mm upper I was asking about.

I still got the get a 5.56 upper. :cool:

twoskinsonemanns

I use Wolf 7.62x39
3-4000 rounds through an AK without any problems.
I have had a few problems with TulAmmo in various calibers