• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visitor from Washington State

Vitaeus

Folks,
I will be spending a few months in your fair state, I am looking for a good resource on your state's law's, I am very familiar with RCW 9.41 in Washington state and the small number of other laws that apply to open and concealed carry. Would anyone be willing to point me towards the applicable sections of Virginia law? I have a Washington CPL which looks to be a valid license as far as reciprocity goes.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Folks,
I will be spending a few months in your fair state, I am looking for a good resource on your state's law's, I am very familiar with RCW 9.41 in Washington state and the small number of other laws that apply to open and concealed carry. Would anyone be willing to point me towards the applicable sections of Virginia law? I have a Washington CPL which looks to be a valid license as far as reciprocity goes.

Virginia Code Section on CHP http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308
Virginia State Police Web Site http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtmirginia

I'm sure others here will come in with more information. Enjoy yourself while you are here and maybe you can catch an OC lunch or dinner while your here.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Your Washington State CPL is recognized here, even though you do not recognize our CHP. It's that Southern hospitality thing.

Laws on OC are few and far between. This http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...pen-Carry-Flyers-amp-Information-Cards-STICKY and this http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...thout-a-CHP-(Concealed-Handgun-Permit)-STICKY should cover you.

Concealed carry laws are another ball of wax. I recommend www.handgunlaws.us for your edification.

When you know your ininerary, come on back and let us know. The odds of throwing together a meet&greet are high. If you have a funny accent the odds are even higher.:lol:

stay safe.

Vitaeus

Mid March to late August is the likely time frame, in the Norfolk area. Thanks for the references, I have to dig up the thread on flying with your firearm, thee was a bunch of good information and suggestions on the appropriate luggage to use.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Folks,

Are you looking for OC or CC laws?

Vitaeus

Concealed laws and any gotchas that open-carry might cause, such as the GFSZ issue of needing a local state CPL, reciprocity does not usually cover a visitor from out of state. I will be visiting as a paid employee, so I may very well conceal initially, until I am more familiar with the territory.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Concealed laws and any gotchas that open-carry might cause, such as the GFSZ issue of needing a local state CPL, reciprocity does not usually cover a visitor from out of state. I will be visiting as a paid employee, so I may very well conceal initially, until I am more familiar with the territory.

Actually very few "gotcha" laws regarding OC or CC. Possibly the most confusing is carrying your handgun in your vehicle inside a secured container without needing a CHP (CPL to you). You can go CC into restaurants that serve alcohol for on-site consumption (we have no "bars" in Virginia") but cannot consume, while there is no legal prohibition against doing so while OCing - just social disapproval if you do - or even talk about doing it. Local/state cops do not enforce the GFSZ laws, so let your conscience be your guide [/Jimminy Cricket voice for those Oulde Pharts that remember]. As of last week any CHP seemed to satisfy the Capitol Police (need a permission slip to carry OC or CC in the General Assembly Building and environs). State Universities are probably the most tricky, especially the several "urban" campii - VCU especially and the outlying areas of Old Dominion, George Mason, UVa, Va State. Generally, you can carry about the grounds but not into buildings, but thanks to some confusingly enacte regulations there are specific exceptions you need to be aware of.

It's actually easier to answer specific questions than to give a crash course overview.

stay safe.