• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you carry in a US Post Office Contract Unit?

Fibresteve

Yesterday I went to get my Wife's license plate tabs (open carrying of course) at the privately owned business in Longview that sells them. I waited in line for a few minutes, got to the counter, bought new tabs and plates and left without incident. As I got back in my truck I looked up and saw a sign in the window that said "US Post Office contract unit". This really caught me by surprise. Apparently they offer some Post Office services but are not US Government Post Office employees. Is it legal to carry a firearm in these "Contract Units"? I looked on the USPS website and found nothing about firearms in these businesses.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... they offer some Post Office services but are not US Government Post Office employees....

You can't carry in a federal "facility." This is defined as a building where federal employees conduct their business.

Carry on.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So, as long as he remained on the "public" side of the counter he was good to go!!!!!

If they are not federal employees, no part of it is a federal facility.

But what you say does work if there is a real USPS Post Office (with USPS employees) in, say, a supermarket or something like that.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
84th & Park Ave in Tacoma is a contract station - I was in there one day and the Postmistress saw my empty holster and asked "what good is that?" I replied "it's a post office and I can't carry" she said "we are a contract station, and there's nothing wrong with carrying in here."

JoeSparky

Centurion
If they are not federal employees, no part of it is a federal facility.

But what you say does work if there is a real USPS Post Office (with USPS employees) in, say, a supermarket or something like that.

Actually, the law making POST OFFICE carry illegal is a completely different section of code and the posr office code (title 39) makes it a crime to carry, possess on postal property or leased portion of a building they use but don't have complete control over. And, I will still argue that self defense while conduction mailling of letters or collection thereof IS AN OFFICIAL PURPOSE!

Here is a copy and link of the code:
I will attempt to "BOLD" the applicable parts.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi...n of the printed volume and at www.fdsys.gov.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
84th & Park Ave in Tacoma is a contract station - I was in there one day and the Postmistress saw my empty holster and asked "what good is that?" I replied "it's a post office and I can't carry" she said "we are a contract station, and there's nothing wrong with carrying in here."
Is she cute, and single?