• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sb 281

Nicholas A.

Well here is a link for the proposal http://marylandshallissue.org/share/SB0281_pamphlet.pdf a quick run down is as follows.

“Assault Weapons” Banned This bill dramatically expands the definition of assault weapons. It creates new classes of banned weapons: Assault Long Guns and Copycat Weapons All firearms fitting these definitions will be illegal to purchase or bring into the State after October 1, 2013. All current owners will be forced to register them or face up to 3 years in prison.
Semi-Automatic Handguns: • Assault Pistols, BANNED (no grandfathering if purchased after 1994) • Fixed magazine > 10 rounds, BANNED • Barrel Shrouds, BANNED • Threaded Barrels, BANNED • Second hand-grip, BANNED • Magazines inserted outside of the pistol grip, BANNED
Shotguns: • Any shotgun currently regulated, BANNED • Revolver-style shotgun, BANNED • Semi-Auto Shotguns BANNED if: ◦ Telescoping OR Folding stock AND ◦ Pistol grip
Semi-Automatic Centerfire Rifles: • Any rifle currently regulated, BANNED • Lengths less than 30” BANNED • Fixed magazines > 10 rounds, BANNED • Forward pistol/vertical grips, BANNED • Thumbhole stocks, BANNED • Telescoping or Folding stocks, BANNED • Grenade/Flare launchers, BANNED • Flash hiders, BANNED
10 Round Magazine Limit All detachable magazines with a round count of >10 rounds will be illegal to purchase or transfer into the State of Maryland.
Banned Weapon Regulations • Existing owners may keep their weapons, but must register their them or face up to 3 years in prison and/or a $5,000 fine. • No person under the age of 21 may own a banned weapon • If you can't own a banned weapon, you may not own ammunition for that weapon either • Existing owners will not be able to sell a banned weapon in Maryland.
Firearm Qualification License To purchase or RENT a handgun OF ANY TYPE, you must first obtain a license. This license is akin to a Firearms owners ID (FOID). What must you do to obtain this license? • $100 Non-refundable fee every 5 years • Background check, including fingerprints (you must pay the costs) • 8 hour training class (you must pay for class and ammunition) • Demonstrate “proficiency and use” (hard to do if you can't rent a gun without this license) • Total estimated costs: $385
Carry Permits • No change has been made to the Good and Substantial clause of the law, which is the current law that makes it nearly impossible to get a carry permit • In addition to that, a new 16-hour handgun training course must be completed as well.

Nicholas A.

I am so very glad I do not live in Maryland - I wonder, how would any of this actually be enforced?

Thats a very good question and I have no idea how it would be if it it would just be one of those laws that isn't enforced until they have some other charge and add it on, or it becomes one of the many laws on the books that just gets forgotten. Either way I don't like what they are proposing

davidmcbeth

Banned
Seems like total reasonable regulations.

Oh, just noticed -- this is not for China - its for a US state ...

Why don't all these people move to China ....

They'll love it there .. no guns except for the army...

Nicholas A.

As I'm sure many of you know it passed the vote 7-4 for it to continue onto the full senate vote. This Friday the senate will hear testimony on both sides, I hope all who can be there will be there