• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm Retention for physical disabled

Adam A Farley

One of the to reasons I decided to start open carry was my physical nature was becoming more serious. I fear my ability to fully protect my wife and kids like I use to.

I do have extensive hand to hand training along with situational awareness training. I suffer from a rare progressive degenerative scoliosis . Sadly I do not move so well due to worsening spinal issues etc.

The trick I have fought with was a placement I could open carry on my body but still have good retention of the fire arm .

I finaly made a custom hoster that mounts in my front left pocket . Allowing the top of the gun to be fully visible as per open carry guidelines. Tight fit and the snap to the strap is n the side towards my body.

Reasoning was if some one tried to reach from behind and disarm me, they are going to recieve a beat down via a hard wood Cain I uniquely designed to double as one hell of a club.

It is a unusual location and setup for open carry,but the situation is unusual giving physical limitations worsening.

By no means is it a fast draw, but it is a safe do not be disarmed with out a lot of effort I am going to give you a beat down that is going to hurt like hell draw lol.

I'll post a pic later, but I hope it helps others that might go threw a similar issue when dealing with retention .

image.jpg

Last edited: