Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Comic book hero Judge Dredd 'might be gay'

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838

    Comic book hero Judge Dredd 'might be gay'


  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Corryton
    Posts
    85
    I don't understand the obsession with comics.

  3. #3
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    So what? Who cares?
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Apart from wondering why so many people want to glorify any particular sexual behavior, I don't care.

    It's almost like every show has to have a homosexual character and every network has to have a show prominently featuring a homosexual. Now even comic books have to include the requisite amount of indoctrination.

    Whatever. I don't read them. I raised my kids to be smart enough not to read them. They grew up happy, healthy, and heterosexual.

  5. #5
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241
    Who the hell cares? Dumbledore was outed as gay too, nobody cared.

    I never got in to "comics" even though I attempted to buy a few good ones when I was a kid. The whole Marvell addiction never caught on with me. There's better things to be done than waste time with booked with the sole purpose of entertainment.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    31

    Re: Comic book hero Judge Dredd 'might be gay'

    If it has nothing to do with the story, I don't much see where it matters. Dumbledore displayed no sexuality whatsoever through the series- he could be straight, gay, bi, or necrophiliac and it wouldn't matter one whit. Dredd tends to only care about busting heads and enforcing the law, so who gives a damn if he's smoking pole off the page?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  7. #7
    Regular Member CDT COX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by david.ross View Post
    Who the hell cares? Dumbledore was outed as gay too, nobody cared.

    I never got in to "comics" even though I attempted to buy a few good ones when I was a kid. The whole Marvell addiction never caught on with me. There's better things to be done than waste time with booked with the sole purpose of entertainment.
    You are a hypocrite. Don't like it? Leave.
    Last edited by CDT COX; 01-27-2013 at 05:06 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post
    You are a hypocrite. Don't like it? Leave.

    Big difference when homosexuality has nothing to do with the story vs gay people who are prevalent in the firearms community who tend to do more than most via the courts.

    Try again.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  9. #9
    Regular Member CDT COX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by david.ross View Post
    Big difference when homosexuality has nothing to do with the story vs gay people who are prevalent in the firearms community who tend to do more than most via the courts.

    Try again.
    First, I wonder what you base your assumption that "gays do more via the courts". I was unaware that each case before the court required the plaintiff to state his or her sexual orientation, thus providing a database for us to pull statistical data from.

    Second, my comment is in reference to you signature. You say "Tolerance is key", however, you are seemingly intolerant of those who might not agree with your lifestyle choice. This makes you a hypocrite.

  10. #10
    Regular Member david.ross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Posts
    1,241
    Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post
    First, I wonder what you base your assumption that "gays do more via the courts". I was unaware that each case before the court required the plaintiff to state his or her sexual orientation, thus providing a database for us to pull statistical data from.
    Not getting to know people who push key topics in cities like Seattle and battle illegal ordinances? How ignorant.


    Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post
    Second, my comment is in reference to you signature. You say "Tolerance is key", however, you are seemingly intolerant of those who might not agree with your lifestyle choice. This makes you a hypocrite.
    Tolerance is key. If a person doesn't like LGBT or even people of a different race, they've no place on my teams. Someone not caucasian could be on my team and I'd not think a second thing about it, their sex, color or orientation doesn't matter to me. What matters is when ignorant imbeciles make their way to my teams, they're not welcomed.

    It's not hypocrisy, it's social justice.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

  11. #11
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by david.ross View Post
    It's not hypocrisy, it's social justice.

    There is no such thing when done by the government including the courts.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Comic book hero Judge Dredd 'might be gay'

    Funny, some people would say that taking certain firearms away from the people is "social justice." "Social justice" is a nice, nebulous term that can mean whatever the user wants it to mean, usually "I can find no good reason to support this, but I think it is right; it should be right; it seems right; I need to make you think it is right, so I will put this high-sounding label on it."

    When I see someone refer to an idea as being "socially just," I am immediately inclined to oppose the idea. Tolerance is a bit of stupidity designed to get everyone to think alike in the "correct" way. True tolerance means that there is no correct way to think.

    I am not a hypocrite because I will never claim to be tolerant of ideas that I believe to be wrong. However, I will simply try to change your mind or avoid you. I won't accuse you of being intolerant because you don't believe what I believe to be "correct."


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  13. #13
    Regular Member CDT COX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Funny, some people would say that taking certain firearms away from the people is "social justice." "Social justice" is a nice, nebulous term that can mean whatever the user wants it to mean, usually "I can find no good reason to support this, but I think it is right; it should be right; it seems right; I need to make you think it is right, so I will put this high-sounding label on it."

    When I see someone refer to an idea as being "socially just," I am immediately inclined to oppose the idea. Tolerance is a bit of stupidity designed to get everyone to think alike in the "correct" way. True tolerance means that there is no correct way to think.

    I am not a hypocrite because I will never claim to be tolerant of ideas that I believe to be wrong. However, I will simply try to change your mind or avoid you. I won't accuse you of being intolerant because you don't believe what I believe to be "correct."


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>
    All of this

  14. #14
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    I figured he was gay; there's no way a hetero man dresses that classy.

    There's something homoerotic about most of these characters, IMO.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  15. #15
    Regular Member DangerClose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The mean streets of WI
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Z1P2 View Post
    I don't understand the obsession with comics.
    Just another way to tell a story. They're also great for getting kids to want to read, btw.

    I clicked on this thread to say the "Dredd" movie is good stuff. Highly recommended.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Editing another's posts to make it appear they said something other than what they said is against the forum rules.
    Last edited by John Pierce; 02-04-2013 at 02:47 PM.

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    Just another way to tell a story. They're also great for getting kids to want to read, btw.
    Yeah, "graphic novels" are a substitute for real reading, devoid of any of the depth of the truly written word.

    I tried to get into comics once (at the recommendation of a friend), before I held this prejudice – it's the result.
    Last edited by marshaul; 02-03-2013 at 04:15 PM.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    31

    Re: Comic book hero Judge Dredd 'might be gay'

    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Yeah, "graphic novels" are a substitute for real reading, devoid of any of the depth of the truly written word.

    I tried to get into comics once (at the recommendation of a friend), before I held this prejudice it's the result.
    This is a remarkably shallow and ill educated view. Just as there are amazing and insipid books out there, there are both amazing and insipid graphic novels. The medium should not be damned as a whole for its dumber examples, anymore than you should judge all TV programs from the examples of reality television and sitcoms.

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Knight View Post
    This is a remarkably shallow and ill educated view. Just as there are amazing and insipid books out there, there are both amazing and insipid graphic novels. The medium should not be damned as a whole for its dumber examples, anymore than you should judge all TV programs from the examples of reality television and sitcoms.
    Hah! So defensive. I didn't "damn" anything (I didn't even say it sucks!), I merely said the medium lacks depth. And it does. You can't illustrate your way to a word count adequate to convey complex ideas.

    Seriously, I've read a pretty decent number of graphic novels either because it's a story which interests me (say it's been made into a movie or TV show or whatever), or because someone recommended it (always on the premise that "this one" I'm going to find intellectually stimulating).

    And I've even enjoyed some of them, quite a bit in fact.

    But depth? Nope. Sorry, if you think the depth of the best graphic novels compares to the best literature, you're not reading the right literature.

    It's not a "shallow" and "ill educated [sic]" view, it's an observation from experience. Y'all always say that on the assumption that others just haven't read enough comic books, but I say you haven't read enough real books. Making your view the shallow and ill-educated one.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    31

    Re: Comic book hero Judge Dredd 'might be gay'

    An excellent attempt to turn the discussion, but one that fails; I read books like a fat man eats potato chips, and I'll gladly pit the best of each against each other. Saying that Sandman, Transmetropolitan, Fables or Watchmen lack depth... I can only find that to be base ignorance as to what "depth" actually is.

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    I dont understand the obsession with homosexuality.
    It is the new cool thing to make them gay who have been straight since the comics were first started. IE spider man. Do i really care no since i am not a huge fan of comics. Yet what is funny is the ones who are now gay have a long history of being straight from day one of the comic, but the editors change their sexuality as the new cool thing to do. I dont see how this will sell more comics or are they trying to shock people by doing so?
    Last edited by zack991; 02-03-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Knight View Post
    Watchmen lack depth...
    Of those, the one I've read (although not the entire thing, if I recall). Yep, it lacks depth. Really overrated stuff, by the way. Everyone raves about it, but come on...
    Last edited by marshaul; 02-03-2013 at 10:06 PM.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    31

    Re: Comic book hero Judge Dredd 'might be gay'

    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Of those, the one I've read (although not the entire thing, if I recall). Yep, it lacks depth. Really overrated stuff, by the way. Everyone raves about it, but come on...
    Eh, I think the problem with Watchmen is that it's so very seminal. Nowadays "dark" and "flawed" heroes are almost passe, so it's easy to forget that Watchmen was the first work that really broke down superman, took out the super, and left the man.

    But then, you'd have to be a comics fan to notice, or to care.

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Knight View Post
    Eh, I think the problem with Watchmen is that it's so very seminal. Nowadays "dark" and "flawed" heroes are almost passe, so it's easy to forget that Watchmen was the first work that really broke down superman, took out the super, and left the man.

    But then, you'd have to be a comics fan to notice, or to care.
    No, I mean that makes sense.

    And, by the way, I accept that, as a storytelling medium, comic books provide a medium in which some stories can really only be told at all, the same as with cinema or TV shows.

    But, once you step outside the realm of fiction, storytelling mediums such as graphic novels and cinema and television and plays and whatnot all rapidly begin to be a poor substitute indeed for true literature. History, law, science, and most especially philosophy (my preference is for the political sort) all are only explored in any depth through literature. That said, I'm a huge fan of Larry Gonick's work.

    As much as I love all these media (especially TV and movies), I think it's a mistake to suggest to kids that these can ever be a substitute for, or can replace the importance of, or are even representative of the potential of literature.
    Last edited by marshaul; 02-03-2013 at 11:10 PM.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    No, I mean that makes sense.

    And, by the way, I accept that, as a storytelling medium, comic books provide a medium in which some stories can really only be told at all, the same as with cinema or TV shows.

    But, once you step outside the realm of fiction, storytelling mediums such as graphic novels and cinema and television and plays and whatnot all rapidly begin to be a poor substitute indeed for true literature. History, law, science, and most especially philosophy (my preference is for the political sort) all are only explored in any depth through literature. That said, I'm a huge fan of Larry Gonick's work.

    As much as I love all these media (especially TV and movies), I think it's a mistake to suggest to kids that these can ever be a substitute for, or can replace the importance of, or are even representative of the potential of literature.
    Huh, I think we've reached a point we can agree upon; none of these media can truly replace or exclude the others, because they all have their advantages. And of these, I agree, literature is the strongest; if you wiped out all but one media, I think man would suffice on books alone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •