• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Comic book hero Judge Dredd 'might be gay'

eye95

Apart from wondering why so many people want to glorify any particular sexual behavior, I don't care.

It's almost like every show has to have a homosexual character and every network has to have a show prominently featuring a homosexual. Now even comic books have to include the requisite amount of indoctrination.

Whatever. I don't read them. I raised my kids to be smart enough not to read them. They grew up happy, healthy, and heterosexual.

david.ross

Who the hell cares? Dumbledore was outed as gay too, nobody cared.

I never got in to "comics" even though I attempted to buy a few good ones when I was a kid. The whole Marvell addiction never caught on with me. There's better things to be done than waste time with booked with the sole purpose of entertainment.

Last Knight

If it has nothing to do with the story, I don't much see where it matters. Dumbledore displayed no sexuality whatsoever through the series- he could be straight, gay, bi, or necrophiliac and it wouldn't matter one whit. Dredd tends to only care about busting heads and enforcing the law, so who gives a damn if he's smoking pole off the page?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CDT COX

Who the hell cares? Dumbledore was outed as gay too, nobody cared.

I never got in to "comics" even though I attempted to buy a few good ones when I was a kid. The whole Marvell addiction never caught on with me. There's better things to be done than waste time with booked with the sole purpose of entertainment.

You are a hypocrite. Don't like it? Leave.

Last edited:

CDT COX

Big difference when homosexuality has nothing to do with the story vs gay people who are prevalent in the firearms community who tend to do more than most via the courts.

Try again.

First, I wonder what you base your assumption that "gays do more via the courts". I was unaware that each case before the court required the plaintiff to state his or her sexual orientation, thus providing a database for us to pull statistical data from.

Second, my comment is in reference to you signature. You say "Tolerance is key", however, you are seemingly intolerant of those who might not agree with your lifestyle choice. This makes you a hypocrite.

david.ross

First, I wonder what you base your assumption that "gays do more via the courts". I was unaware that each case before the court required the plaintiff to state his or her sexual orientation, thus providing a database for us to pull statistical data from.

Not getting to know people who push key topics in cities like Seattle and battle illegal ordinances? How ignorant.

Second, my comment is in reference to you signature. You say "Tolerance is key", however, you are seemingly intolerant of those who might not agree with your lifestyle choice. This makes you a hypocrite.

Tolerance is key. If a person doesn't like LGBT or even people of a different race, they've no place on my teams. Someone not caucasian could be on my team and I'd not think a second thing about it, their sex, color or orientation doesn't matter to me. What matters is when ignorant imbeciles make their way to my teams, they're not welcomed.

It's not hypocrisy, it's social justice.

eye95

Funny, some people would say that taking certain firearms away from the people is "social justice." "Social justice" is a nice, nebulous term that can mean whatever the user wants it to mean, usually "I can find no good reason to support this, but I think it is right; it should be right; it seems right; I need to make you think it is right, so I will put this high-sounding label on it."

When I see someone refer to an idea as being "socially just," I am immediately inclined to oppose the idea. Tolerance is a bit of stupidity designed to get everyone to think alike in the "correct" way. True tolerance means that there is no correct way to think.

I am not a hypocrite because I will never claim to be tolerant of ideas that I believe to be wrong. However, I will simply try to change your mind or avoid you. I won't accuse you of being intolerant because you don't believe what I believe to be "correct."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

CDT COX

Funny, some people would say that taking certain firearms away from the people is "social justice." "Social justice" is a nice, nebulous term that can mean whatever the user wants it to mean, usually "I can find no good reason to support this, but I think it is right; it should be right; it seems right; I need to make you think it is right, so I will put this high-sounding label on it."

When I see someone refer to an idea as being "socially just," I am immediately inclined to oppose the idea. Tolerance is a bit of stupidity designed to get everyone to think alike in the "correct" way. True tolerance means that there is no correct way to think.

I am not a hypocrite because I will never claim to be tolerant of ideas that I believe to be wrong. However, I will simply try to change your mind or avoid you. I won't accuse you of being intolerant because you don't believe what I believe to be "correct."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

All of this

Beretta92FSLady

I figured he was gay; there's no way a hetero man dresses that classy.

There's something homoerotic about most of these characters, IMO.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Editing another's posts to make it appear they said something other than what they said is against the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Just another way to tell a story. They're also great for getting kids to want to read, btw.

Yeah, "graphic novels" are a substitute for real reading, devoid of any of the depth of the truly written word.

I tried to get into comics once (at the recommendation of a friend), before I held this prejudice – it's the result.

Last edited:

Last Knight

Yeah, "graphic novels" are a substitute for real reading, devoid of any of the depth of the truly written word.

I tried to get into comics once (at the recommendation of a friend), before I held this prejudice – it's the result.

This is a remarkably shallow and ill educated view. Just as there are amazing and insipid books out there, there are both amazing and insipid graphic novels. The medium should not be damned as a whole for its dumber examples, anymore than you should judge all TV programs from the examples of reality television and sitcoms.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
This is a remarkably shallow and ill educated view. Just as there are amazing and insipid books out there, there are both amazing and insipid graphic novels. The medium should not be damned as a whole for its dumber examples, anymore than you should judge all TV programs from the examples of reality television and sitcoms.

Hah! So defensive. I didn't "damn" anything (I didn't even say it sucks!), I merely said the medium lacks depth. And it does. You can't illustrate your way to a word count adequate to convey complex ideas.

Seriously, I've read a pretty decent number of graphic novels – either because it's a story which interests me (say it's been made into a movie or TV show or whatever), or because someone recommended it (always on the premise that "this one" I'm going to find intellectually stimulating).

And I've even enjoyed some of them, quite a bit in fact.

But depth? Nope. Sorry, if you think the depth of the best graphic novels compares to the best literature, you're not reading the right literature.

It's not a "shallow" and "ill educated [sic]" view, it's an observation from experience. Y'all always say that on the assumption that others just haven't read enough comic books, but I say you haven't read enough real books. Making your view the shallow and ill-educated one. :p