• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Big gun/anti-gun rallies in DC?

Old Virginia Joe

I heard several times on the news this weekend that there were huge gun and anti-gun rallies on the mall in D.C. last week. Whaaatt? Were any of you aware of these major events being planned and held? Anybody go and can report on them? Even the huge tea party shindig in 2009 didn't get this much coverage . . . . .

TFred

There was a rally yesterday. The local news coverage was using camera angles that conveniently hid the views that might reveal how many people were there. Lots of camera shots from knee level looking up at a handful of people at a time.

The most ironic part of this is that on Friday, the local all-news station, which does traffic reports every 10 minutes, described the "surprise traffic problems" resulting from several streets in and around the Mall being closed for the half-million Roe vs. Wade protestors in town. Of course, the only reason these traffic issues could be a "surprise" would be because the NEWS station, chose to not cover the protest during their news segments.

Lots of coverage of these few handfuls of gun-control people yesterday though.

Hypocrisy rears its ugly head, once again.

TFred

Old Virginia Joe

I wondered myself why this wasn't mentioned in the week's VCDL e-mailing when I read the story in yesterday's Washington Post.

Thought I was the only person who missed the notification. Guess not. Still, how did "thousands" know about it and not a word on the VA gun forums?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...0bedfa-678e-11e2-83c7-38d5fac94235_story.html

THIS ^^^^^

I thought as a gun owner and (I thought) pretty active gun rights activist and patriot, I was well informed on what is going on and what WE are doing for our "cause," having just got back from a "750" man protest/lobbying effort in Richmond, less than a work week (5 days) before, but I guess all that and being in VCDL and active here on OCDO, don't mean jack to my knowledge of what is going on. A major protest (might as well say here in our own state) and none of the 750 VCDL protestors mentioned it at all? Come on guys. Half-assed communication like this ain't going to save our Constitution and Bill of Rights.

VApatriot

There was a rally yesterday. The local news coverage was using camera angles that conveniently hid the views that might reveal how many people were there. Lots of camera shots from knee level looking up at a handful of people at a time.

The most ironic part of this is that on Friday, the local all-news station, which does traffic reports every 10 minutes, described the "surprise traffic problems" resulting from several streets in and around the Mall being closed for the half-million Roe vs. Wade protestors in town. Of course, the only reason these traffic issues could be a "surprise" would be because the NEWS station, chose to not cover the protest during their news segments.

Lots of coverage of these few handfuls of gun-control people yesterday though.

Hypocrisy rears its ugly head, once again.

TFred

I couldn't agree more, TFred. The quote "thousands" of ant-gunners got front page coverage on several news services that I regularly check, while the 500,000+ protesters in town just one day earlier were lucky if they got a single paragraph mention. The media is a powerful thing, and I think that it has a pretty clearly biased agenda.

1911 Enthusiast

Don't believe everything you read. I follow a Marine vet, Adam VS The Man and he was there covering the protest. From his camera shots I'd say there were a few hundred IF that many protesting guns.

I believe someone estimated we had 750 VCDL members, family members and sympathizers who accepted GSL stickers at Lobby Day. I was there and comparing that crowd of 750 to this one, there's no doubt in my mind from the video included with the post that this crowd was significantly larger. The idea of "thousands" of protestors was melodramatic but still big enough that the gathering (and the pro-gun counter protest) should have gotten prior coverage on the pro-gun forums and e-mail alerts. IMO, the ball got dropped in a big way...the pro-gun crowd should have been out in force and overwhelming in numbers. And we would have been if we'd known about it!