• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Our news media is flogging this downunder.

Haz.

Gun control faces uphill battle: Feinstein From: AAP January 28, 2013 7:39AM

days before the US Senate begins debating new gun control measures, the Democratic senator who is leading the push to restore an assault weapons ban has acknowledged the effort faces tough odds to pass Congress.
Senator Dianne Feinstein of California told CBS television a coalition of police, clergy and voters would push forward her gun control measure over objections from the nation's largest gun-rights lobbying group, the National Rifle Association.

Feinstein on Thursday introduced a bill that would prohibit 157 specific weapons and ammunition magazines that have more than 10 rounds. The White House and fellow Democrats are sceptical the measure is going anywhere, given lawmakers who are looking toward re-election might fear pro-gun voters and the NRA.

"This has always been an uphill fight. This has never been easy. This is the hardest of the hard," Feinstein said.

"I think I can get it passed because the American people are very much for it," Feinstein said of the measure that follows a similar measure she championed into law 1994 but expired a decade later.

The bill has the support of President Barack Obama but Feinstein acknowledged the NRA's political clout.

She said the NRA has become a pawn of those who make weapons.

"The NRA is venal. ... The NRA has become an institution of gun manufacturers," she said.

The NRA disputed her characterisation.

"The NRA is a grass-roots organisation. We have more than four million dues-paying members and tens of millions of supporters all across this country. Our political power comes from them. Decent and logical people would understand that," spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said.

The Senate Judiciary Committee plans to take up the gun control proposals on Wednesday and hear testimony from the NRA's CEO and senior vice-president, Wayne LaPierre.

Mark Kelly, the husband of former congresswoman Gabby Giffords, who was wounded in a 2011 mass shooting that killed six in Tucson, Arizona, plans to testify in support of gun control laws.

Link; <http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/gun-control-faces-uphill-battle-feinstein/story-e6freuz9-1226563194776>

And who's this clown, we have never heard of him and his face is splashed over our news papers as a supporter of banning automatic weapons??

Sydney Confidential.

A-listers backing gun ban From: The Daily Telegraph January 28, 2013 12:00AM
Actor Norman Reedus. Picture: Getty Images Source: The Daily Telegraph.

VISITING American actor Norman Reedus yesterday joined a slew of celebrities in calling on the US to introduce gun control reforms.
The Boondock Saints star, who is in town promoting acclaimed TV thriller The Walking Dead, filmed a disclaimer that is now aired before the violent zombie show in the wake of the Newtown massacre, where a gunman killed 20 children and six adults in Connecticut.

Speaking to Confidential yesterday, Reedus said he received "a tonne of support" from his peers while attending the Golden Globes because of the video.

"A lot of actors came up to me and said they thought it was great, which was a real surprise to me because I had no idea they were even watching the show," he said.

"I don't feel there's a real reason to have automatic weapons at all. I can understand the right to bear arms to some extent, but no one needs an automatic AK17 hanging in their truck. No way."

Reedus's comments follow the release of a controversial video featuring a string of A-listers such as Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, Chris Rock and Ellen DeGeneres urging a ban on the sale of assault weapons in the US.

Meanwhile, Reedus, who has a 13-year-old son Mingus with his former partner Helena Christensen, celebrated his 44th birthday this month. "Don't remind me," he joked.

"No, to be honest, being able to do this show and with my son being the age he is, the 40s are my favourite.

"I'm having the time of my life right now.

"I just want to be able to quit smoking. I think it's time."

ADobbs1989

"I don't feel there's a real reason to have automatic weapons at all. I can understand the right to bear arms to some extent, but no one needs an automatic AK17 hanging in their truck. No way."

Here is the issue...people are getting automatic weapons confused with what are being called "assault weapons". Automatics have already been banned...almost everyone I have talked to that are in favor of the AWB...don't even have an understanding of what they are referring to as assault weapons. They always say "Well I don't think everyone should be allowed to have automatic weapons.".../facepalm.

Haz.

Here is the issue...people are getting automatic weapons confused with what are being called "assault weapons". Automatics have already been banned...almost everyone I have talked to that are in favor of the AWB...don't even have an understanding of what they are referring to as assault weapons. They always say "Well I don't think everyone should be allowed to have automatic weapons.".../facepalm.

G-Day ADobbs.

You know I never said that which is quoted above, that clown Norman Reedus said it. Personally, I'm against any ban what so ever. The greatest gun steal back and banning down under has done absolutley nothing to stop violent and insane criminals from getting hold of a firearm and killing people despite what the Garden Gnome, John Howard says. Our prisons are overflowing with criminals who have ignored every law. New and or additional laws and bannings will make no difference to maniacs and criminals.

ADobbs1989

I know you didn't say that, I was just referring to the fact that many of the people who are supporting gun control and the AWB don't even know what they are trying to have banned.

Haz.

I know you didn't say that, I was just referring to the fact that many of the people who are supporting gun control and the AWB don't even know what they are trying to have banned.

Same here mate. Pump action shotguns were considered dangerous in the hands of joe citizen according to the garden gnome, who apparently watched too many Terminator movies. They have been banned here yet a licenced person can go and buy a pump action center fire rifle, a lever action shotgun.

linerider69

To people who feel that assault weapons should be banned,no thank you.The issue is not are they used for hunting or sports shooting or whatever.The second amendment insures that we have the means necessary to protect ourselves from tyranny well how can we do that if we have cap guns and they have bazookas as it were.I do not mean we need machine guns with the capability to fire 1000rounds a second but we should have a fighting chance.So those of you who are scared of guns why don,t you all get together pick an island or corner of a state hug each other and tell one another there is nothing to fear as long as the government is babysitting you.When you cry wolf i will as an American come and save you if you ask nicely then you can tell me all about why we don,t need guns so no thank you i will keep my guns you go get your hug.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Anti-gunners are purposely confusing automatic and semi-automatic firearms, in order to sway the undecided. The basic propoganda technique for getting people who have really not thought about it to hate something/someone is to deamonize it/them. Granpa's trusty shotgun that put a turkey on the table every Thanksgiving and stayed on the closet shelf the rest of the year is not a bad thing. But those eeevill, scary-looking things that if you don't know any better are just like the guns the bad military people are going to use to kill us all if we refuse to become Republican conservative fascists? Bad!!

Why do you think DiFi concentrates on cosmetic features? Just how many innocent young men sitting on their front porch drinking milk and eating cookies between coming home from Bible study and going out to shovel snow from old Mrs. McGillicudy's driveway in the prime of their youth, just as they were about to get their life together, were cut down by a bayonet? But bayonet lugs are BAAAADDDD!!! (I'm sure DiFi would tell me why if I asked her very nicely.)

Neither Carolyn McCarthy nor DiFi really know, after all these years, just why "the shoulder thing that goes up" is so horrible that it must be banned, when the wooden foregrip on Poppa's 30-30 lever-action deer rifle is OK. But it's BAAAADDDD!!!

And why pick on the poor Tech-9? That jam-o-matic POS can't shoot straight even when you can get it to actually fire a shot, and I can't remember the last time someone got it to fire five shots in a row, let alone 10. But it's BAAAADDDD!!!

If we are going to ban things based on cosmetic features, can we start with Helen Thomas? (I know she "retired", but they are trying to bring back the AWB and I'm not willing to take a chance someone will try to bring her back, too.)

stayt safe.

RunningBare

They are not getting confused. It is a deliberate tactic that the anti-gun nuts have been using for decades - they KNOW many people know little about guns, so they have been basically trying to convince people that "scary-looking black rifle" = "machine gun".

This actor either knows the difference and is being disingenuous, or he has fallen for the decades-long propaganda effort.

ADobbs1989

They are not getting confused. It is a deliberate tactic that the anti-gun nuts have been using for decades - they KNOW many people know little about guns, so they have been basically trying to convince people that "scary-looking black rifle" = "machine gun".

This actor either knows the difference and is being disingenuous, or he has fallen for the decades-long propaganda effort.

I'm not talking about the people pushing this in the media, I am referring to normal people who live in my area. I have had a few facebook debates with others on gun control and 99.9% of the time they ask me why I think everyone should be allowed to have a fully automatic machine gun. The general populace are the ones who are confused, which is what happens when you watch too much national news. Most of it isn't true, and the bits that are don't matter.

RunningBare

I'm not talking about the people pushing this in the media, I am referring to normal people who live in my area. I have had a few facebook debates with others on gun control and 99.9% of the time they ask me why I think everyone should be allowed to have a fully automatic machine gun. The general populace are the ones who are confused, which is what happens when you watch too much national news. Most of it isn't true, and the bits that are don't matter.

Most of those people you are talking about who are confused, thier beliefs are the result of this conditioning - by the media, politicians, actors, etc. So, you pretty much made my point. :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is a cycle of disinformation > fear > disinformation and conforms to "a lie told often enough....."

The only thing that will reverse this trend is education/facts applied with equal or greater vigor and frequency.

Last edited: