• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

C'ville OC news story at a Kroger

TFred

The story does not report "how" he was carrying the rifle. As in, was it slung over his shoulder, or was he cradling it in his arms, or was he carrying it in a position from which he could easily fire it?

I suspect if it were any position other than slung over his shoulder, they would have charged him with brandishing, which they did not.

More details would be good to see.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My first reaction is to giggle at the image of some silly soccermom running in a panic out of the store, calling the cops on the way and warning everyone in the parking lot that there is a terrorist in there.:lol:

My second thought is that...that is exactly what we want to avoid.
If someone had walked in there OCing a handgun, she probably would have complained to the manager, end of the story.

Now there is almost certainly a posted store, a biased news story and the image with a parking lot full of people, of a man being questioned by the cops and released. They'll be saying "We need a Law".

With some things it's better to be low key.

Last week I bought an air rifle to shoot when I was in the Burbs.
Because of the cost and unavailability of primers I haven't been shooting as much as normal. I also want to reduce the Raccoon population here....and make a new hat.:uhoh:

I bought a 1200 fps 177 rifle because I couldn't find a 22.
I shot it once and took it back because the sonic boom was worse than my 22 long rifle and even though it's legal, I knew people would be calling the cops.

I ordered and received a much more powerful 22 that peaks out just under the sound barrier.
I shot hundreds of times over the weekend and no one cared at all.

ryan7068

This never surprises me. Of course they use the word custody like the situation is safe all of a sudden. People need to get a clue. I swear, this is like the first time you see two men walking down the street holding hands. :shocker: just accept it and move on.......these people just have to call the cops like something bad was happening......I think the police department needs training for the dispatchers......."yes it's legal ma'am, call us when you have a real emergency!"

Old Virginia Joe

agency protocol ?

At my agency, we regularly get calls for action against a legal activity, and instead of the call-taker informing the complainant that the reported activity is actually LEGAL, they instead send an inspector out to "look at it anyway." I suppose most agencies are that way, too wimpy to politely tell the truth, lest the complainant call a politician and make a complaint against the agency, which told the truth. This way, ignorance survives and is repeated, at greater cost to the taxpayer!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It does not matter, according to the comments, that there is no law against what he did. As a matter of fact, many comenters want a law passed that protects their right to shop without being made to be afraid for their life. Funny, but all the clinical psychology and abnormal psychology courses I took said that fear is within the individual, as opposed to being something out there that jumps inside your head. You cannot be "made" to be afraid, but you can learn which fears are irrational and how to overcome them.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is a good example of why we do not promote the OC of long guns. Note that the limitation has nothing to do with the legality, but everything to do with the perception of others AND how that impacts our ability to carry a defensive hand tool as we go about of everyday lives.

ryan7068

I hate to say it, but I definitely agree that long gun carry (while I respect someones right to do so) does have possible negative affects due to the fear of others. It seems sad that this is where our nation has gotten to. Instead of being surprised to see someone carrying due to the lack of popularity, people are afraid. It is certainly arguable that was the safest store in that part of town that day. A criminal would have had a bad day if he robbed that store:eek:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I hate to say it, but I definitely agree that long gun carry (while I respect someones right to do so) does have possible negative affects due to the fear of others. It seems sad that this is where our nation has gotten to. Instead of being surprised to see someone carrying due to the lack of popularity, people are afraid. It is certainly arguable that was the safest store in that part of town that day. A criminal would have had a bad day if he robbed that store:eek:

It really depends on the situation ryan.

I can and have walked around all day with a rifle or shotgun in places like Victoria, and no one thinks anything about it. I get far more attention with a handgun in those places.

We need to think about the image we portray in a specific place. I like large handguns but in some areas have started carrying a :uhoh:Glock:uhoh:, just because it doesn't cause as much mombitching as a full size 44 Magnum.

Black holsters draw less attention than brown and blue jeans get noticed less than BDU's.

The idea is to get people used to OC, not to fling it in their faces.

Marco

From the above link:
"the man originally entered the store unarmed, then went back to his car and retrieved his rifle. He then walked back into the store briefly before leaving again."

I suspect this behavior caused as much concern as did the long gun if not more.

Just for the record it wasn't me.. While I do OC a long gun from time to time in the area I try to avoid going onto private property (except for places that I know).
I don't normally shop at Kroger and when I do it's not at that one, however I will swing by that one this weekend to see if it gets posted.

va_tazdad

What were you thinking Skid???????

It does not matter, according to the comments, that there is no law against what he did. As a matter of fact, many comenters want a law passed that protects their right to shop without being made to be afraid for their life. Funny, but all the clinical psychology and abnormal psychology courses I took said that fear is within the individual, as opposed to being something out there that jumps inside your head. You cannot be "made" to be afraid, but you can learn which fears are irrational and how to overcome them.

stay safe.

There you go, being logical, intelligent, rational and truthful again. What were you thinking????

You know the sheeple are none of those things. They are dumb enough to think those anti-gun laws will protect them.

Maybe they should ask the woman in Chicago, one of those "Gun Free" cities. She just lost her 4th child to gun violence. Rahm is doing a "Bang up" job. They only had 500 murders last year, an increase since Emanuel became mayor. Seems those "anti-gun" laws are working as well there as in the other cities that have them like LA, Baltimore, NYC, Detroit, DC..............