• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spending a weekend in KY...need help

oc1911

I live in Indiana, but I will be heading south of the river into Louisville for a weekend soon. I know that KY honors my permit to CC and I have done so on many occasions. I also know that you do not need a license to OC in KY (unless this has changed recently) My question is....can I legally OC not being a resident? And though I have an intimate knowledge of my own states laws, I could use some help brushing up on Kentucky law. What to avoid, what areas can I expect to be not so gun friendly, etc....

Thank you in advance.

oc1911

Yes Louisville. My buddy's place is by Baptist east hospital. Not sure what area of town we will go to for entertainment.

09jisaac

Yes Louisville. My buddy's place is by Baptist east hospital. Not sure what area of town we will go to for entertainment.

Some hospitals are private businesses so they can have a no firearms rule. This is just a rule and it is not illegal to break the rules. They can ask you to leave for any reason, if you are personally asked to leave they can trespass you.

If it is owned by any local government (Louisville for example) and has the appropriate ordinance passed it can be illegal to CC there. The penalty for this is to ask you to either remove your weapon from their building or to display it (open carry).

I usually CC when going to a hospital.

Kentucky honors ALL concealed carry permits and even non residents can OC legally. You would be more likely to get a MWG call in the cities (I would think) but they should be well aware of how to handle such a situation. Know the laws and know your rights (in slight detail at the top of the Kentucky thread page). Don't let them pressure you into something that is not backed by law. You are not usually required to produce ID unless you are CCing, then you are required to produce your CDWL.