• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

disorderly conduct

nny420

Garden city came with 4 officers detained me, disarmed me, handcuffed me and walked me out of fred meyers on no grounds (except calls for man with gun). They tried fishing for a disorderly conduct charge for me doing my shopping. I dont feel i was in any violation of the law.

"4-12-4 DISORDERLY CONDUCT Any person who shall commit any violent, noisy, or riotous conduct, or who shall use any profane, abusive or obscene language, or in any way commit a breach of the peace, or do anything that shall be dangerous to the inhabitants of the city shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor. A violation may include, but not be limited to, the following: A. Accosting other persons or person in any public place or in any place open to the public for the purpose of begging or soliciting alms; or B. Occupying, lodging or sleeping in any building, structure or place, whether public or private, or any automobile, truck, railroad car or other similar vehicles or equipment without the permission of the owner or person entitled to the possession or in control thereof; or C. Loitering, prowling or wandering upon the private property of another without lawful business, permission or invitation by the owner or the lawful occupants thereof; or D. Wilfully fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer after being lawfully ordered to stop by an identified peace officer of the state of Idaho. (Ord. 629, 10-11-1994)"

I think my next step tomorrow is to go in file paperwork for audio transcripts and then file a complaint. The superior officer was the biggest ******* cop ive ever encountered.

Louie86

I would recommend not saying anything else online and contact a lawyer immediately. They would better know what options are available to you. I am sure those more knowledgable than I will probably be around soon with some more advice.

Lord Sega

Note: Fred Meyer follows state law, if you are lawful outside the store on the street then you are ok inside FM.
Search the forums, someone else has posted FM corporate's policy response.
Unless FM staff (against corporate policy) asked you to leave and you didn't (trespass) then you have a solid case.

Armed grocery shopping is legal, not disorderly conduct.

Good luck & keep us posted with updates.

nny420

thats what i thought.

Note: Fred Meyer follows state law, if you are lawful outside the store on the street then you are ok inside FM.
Search the forums, someone else has posted FM corporate's policy response.
Unless FM staff (against corporate policy) asked you to leave and you didn't (trespass) then you have a solid case.

Armed grocery shopping is legal, not disorderly conduct.

Good luck & keep us posted with updates.

How would one maybe go about contacting whom it may concern at FMabout this? Or is that something that i should do.

Lord Sega

I did a web search for Fred Meyer public affairs.
Found Fred Meyer customer comments page for requesting corporate policy.

Comments/Questions page LINK

Main FM page LINK

Also see: Kroger (FM) responce to another member's policy question LINK

As of 24 May, 2010:
Dear *******

Thank you for your inquiry.

Fred Meyer has stores in Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington. All four states allow for open carry with some restrictions to jails, courthouses, airports, schools, etc, but have no restrictions to other public places.

Our current policy is that we follow state law and allow open carry of a firearm.

Sincerely,

Patricia Ann Robb
Consumer Affairs

Reference: 8986048

VanillaBK

Sounds like another customer obviously uneducated got nervous and hit 911 on their cell phone. The cops handled that poorly for sure. I hope something good comes out of this.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Warren Drouin

Just contacted the Garden City Police in Idaho. They would not allow me to have any information of why they handcuffed, detained, disarmed, and try to charge him of DC. They said, that he was "creating a disturbance", but I explain to the Sgt that it is a constitutional Right in Idaho. Yet, the Sgt gave me an attitude is was not willing to share what happen and the information will only be allow to the original person. I was unable to get any solid info from the police. I wish you had recorded the event.

nny420

recorder. thats on my list.

Wish i had a recorder there. And the srg. Informed me when i was uncuffed im no longer allowed to patron the store. Never had any contact with a manager. Step one??? Complain to FM? Or i guess i should get a lawyer. But they cost green i dont have

Jeff. State

Banned
Were you actually charged with anything?

I'm amazed LEOs are pulling this crap in Idaho.

I guess a Statist is a Statist no matter where they live.

nny420

carry choice

SA XD40 SC
RRA LAR-15
Like i carry in my home town with no problems other than the initial contact with leo. At least they were respectful in oregon.

nny420

attitude

I'm starting to guess open carry of an AK in a manner of showing an attitude.

If me envoking my rights to not say anything besides i do not consent to search or disarmament. And politely saying i refuse to answer any questions after in handcuffs and standing in the friged cold Means i had an attitude well i guess i did then. But i dont see how my rights to silence make me rude.

Jeff. State

Banned
Maybe Warren can chime in on this, but I don't think he even carries his AR into a place of business.

I guess the guy who made news at JC Penny's didn't get hassled.

Warren Drouin

Just contacted Fredmeyer at Garden City Idaho. They never called the police or even demanded him to leave, also, there where no such trespass by the store whatsoever. The Sgt. had lied to me over the phone, by stating the store no longer accepts him. The manager even stated he was carry a firearm, but was not threatening anyone and was being pleasant to everyone. He also stated, he is welcome back at any time. hmm...

carracer

Ahh! Starting to get some things put together. Sounds like all the attitude is from Garden City PD. That would be typical as I think they have a littleman syndrome being next to Boise but not part of the big city.

Still haven't answered my question tho, What were you carrying and how?

Warren Drouin

If I informed what he carried, then this thread might get lock by "you know who".

Anyways, I have inform the person to contact the Sheriff and have that department
retrieve the footage, since the manager stated that is the only way.

carracer

Well, I guess when you open carry the type of firearm that is not the type this forum is devoted to with the intent of drawing attention then you get what you are looking for.

That is what you were looking for wasn't it? Testing the waters, so to speak, in Idaho?

I'm perfectly fine with oc of the * guns when actually carried with a legitimate purpose. Self defense included. "Testing the waters" is not a legitimate purpose in my opinion.

I'm also not ok with cuffing, detaining and lying to a citizen that is doing nothing unlawful.

My opinion is both parties were equal in their participation.