• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why is Open Carry so rare?

Justine

I live in VB and I OC everywhere I go. The only time I CC is when I am wearing my jacket outside, if I go in to a restaurant I take off the jacket. I have a CHP only so that I'm covered during the winter when I wear a jacket, otherwise I OC everywhere. As for VCDL, I've never heard of them having issues with anyone OCing or CCing to their events, so long as the establishment allows for it (which it typically does).

As for it being taboo... I've yet to experience any negative reaction from my OCing. Typically if I get a reaction at all, it's positive or inquisitive.

cptstoney

Firearm ownership, and even interest in firearms are taboo. The government has done a brilliant job convincing the public of such.

i'm gonna have to disagree with this statement. i live in NOVA which is way more libby then the rest of the state and i have yet to have a bad experiance meeting a non gun person while carrying or conversing thru my job or in general. i have had alot of people who i never thought would be interested in shooting ask me questions or even ask me to take them along on my next range visit. my mom is an avid shooter and that would be the last thing you would think she does meeting her in public. my brother is a tat'd up hipster cheif in a high end resturant in san fran and enjoys shooting just as much as i do.

not every person who doesn't own a gun is anti or scared of guns.

shadow247

I feel you on not seeing many other OCer's. In fact I think I've only seen 1 other person OCing in Hampton Roads, and that was a customer at the parts counter of the dealership I worked at last year.

I OC all over Hampton Roads, but I carry in a manner unlikely to draw attention to myself. I carry a black gun, on my right hip, in a black holster. I am typically wearing a black sweater tucked behind the holster, and dark jeans. While I am technically OCing, the way I dress helps to sort of hide the gun unless you are looking for it. Granted I have only been OCing for a little over a month, but I've only had 2 people say anything. 1 was the pharmacy clerk at Target while picking up a prescription. She asked my wife why she had a cop with her, my wife just replied that I was her husband and definitely not a cop. The other was at the Verizon store. After talking to a sales associate for about 10 minutes, he asked me what line of work I was in because I was open carrying. I told him I just sold parts, and just carried it for personal protection. He then proceeded to ask me about my permit, to which I informed him that I did not have a permit, and that one is not required to open carry a firearm. It was interesting to see the response on his face, as he was a little taken aback by that. He said he had a CHP and did not know that you could OC without a permit. I think there are a lot of people that just have no idea that you can even do it. Then you have people like my dad and step-father, who think that I am making myself a target by open carrying. I always reply to those people, "when was the last time you read a story of someone being targeted because they were open carrying." They usually have no answer, and I always tell them that it's because it just doesn't happen as often as they like to think it would.

45acpForMe

I feel you on not seeing many other OCer's. In fact I think I've only seen 1 other person OCing in Hampton Roads, and that was a customer at the parts counter of the dealership I worked at last year.

I OC all over Hampton Roads, but I carry in a manner unlikely to draw attention to myself. I carry a black gun, on my right hip, in a black holster. I am typically wearing a black sweater tucked behind the holster, and dark jeans. While I am technically OCing, the way I dress helps to sort of hide the gun unless you are looking for it. Granted I have only been OCing for a little over a month, but I've only had 2 people say anything. 1 was the pharmacy clerk at Target while picking up a prescription. She asked my wife why she had a cop with her, my wife just replied that I was her husband and definitely not a cop. The other was at the Verizon store. After talking to a sales associate for about 10 minutes, he asked me what line of work I was in because I was open carrying. I told him I just sold parts, and just carried it for personal protection. He then proceeded to ask me about my permit, to which I informed him that I did not have a permit, and that one is not required to open carry a firearm. It was interesting to see the response on his face, as he was a little taken aback by that. He said he had a CHP and did not know that you could OC without a permit. I think there are a lot of people that just have no idea that you can even do it. Then you have people like my dad and step-father, who think that I am making myself a target by open carrying. I always reply to those people, "when was the last time you read a story of someone being targeted because they were open carrying." They usually have no answer, and I always tell them that it's because it just doesn't happen as often as they like to think it would.

Well if you used to work at Wynne Ford or Tysinger Hyundai it might have been me OC-ing several times last year. :) Unfortunately needing parts. :-(

I switched my daily carry gun to a FNP-45 black gun with its black leather holster and seem to get slightly less comments than my stainless Sig P220 with Rosewood grips. :) The black gun tends to melt into the background more than the stainless one. Even when I OC-ed the P220 daily it was still a low chance that anyone would comment on it or me OC-ing. Most people are either oblivious or simply ignore someone OC-ing. The rare occassion when someone turns around and walks the other way can be amusing but they are as rare as bumping into another OC-er.