• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can visiting Canadians Open Carry?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
EMNofSeattle you really need to stop giving advice that you have no clue in as it will end up in someone being harmed.

Look at RCW 9.41.175 (3)

RCW 9.41.175
Alien possession of firearms — Possession without license — Conditions.

(1) A nonimmigrant alien, who is not a resident of Washington or a citizen of Canada, may carry or possess any firearm without having first obtained an alien firearm license if the nonimmigrant alien possesses:
(a) A valid passport and visa showing he or she is in the country legally;
(b) If required under federal law, an approved United States department of justice ATF-6 NIA application and permit for temporary importation of firearms and ammunition by nonimmigrant aliens; and
(c)(i) A valid hunting license issued by a state or territory of the United States; or
(ii) An invitation to participate in a trade show or sport shooting event being conducted in this state, another state, or another country that is contiguous with this state.​
(2) A citizen of Canada may carry or possess any firearm so long as he or she possesses:​
(a) Valid documentation as required for entry into the United States;
(b) If required under federal law, an approved United States department of justice ATF-6 NIA application and permit for temporary importation of firearms and ammunition by nonimmigrant aliens; and
(c)(i) A valid hunting license issued by a state or territory of the United States; or
(ii) An invitation to participate in a trade show or sport shooting event being conducted in this state, another state, or another country that is contiguous with this state.
(3) For purposes of subsections (1) and (2) of this section, the firearms may only be possessed for the purpose of using them in the hunting of game while such persons are in the act of hunting, or while on a hunting trip, or while such persons are competing in a bona fide trap or skeet shoot or any other organized contest where rifles, pistols, or shotguns are used. Nothing in this section shall be construed to allow aliens to hunt or fish in this state without first having obtained a regular hunting or fishing license.

kparker

so canadians can bring handguns here but we can't take them there? that blows.

Well, not quite. It's a bit of work to get the permits needed to bring a handgun into Canada, but as far as I can see any handgun that's legal for a Canadian to possess in the first place (and yeah, not a very long list) is something that an American can (de jure, anyway) get permission to temporarily import.

No, it's not going to be a semiauto, and no, it's not going to have a barrel short enough to be really convenient for carry...

Zenov

EMNofSeattle you really need to stop giving advice that you have no clue in as it will end up in someone being harmed.

Look at RCW 9.41.175 (3)

RCW 9.41.175

(1) A nonimmigrant alien, who is not a resident of Washington or a citizen of Canada, may carry or possess any firearm without having first obtained an alien firearm license if the nonimmigrant alien possesses:
(ii) An invitation to participate in a trade show or sport shooting event being conducted in this state, another state, or another country that is contiguous with this state.​
(2) A citizen of Canada may carry or possess any firearm so long as he or she possesses:​
(ii) An invitation to participate in a trade show or sport shooting event being conducted in this state, another state, or another country that is contiguous with this state.
(3) For purposes of subsections (1) and (2) of this section, the firearms may only be possessed for the purpose of using them in the hunting of game while such persons are in the act of hunting, or while on a hunting trip, or while such persons are competing in a bona fide trap or skeet shoot or any other organized contest where rifles, pistols, or shotguns are used. Nothing in this section shall be construed to allow aliens to hunt or fish in this state without first having obtained a regular hunting or fishing license.

Big Dave,
You will note a few posts up that EMN gave this exact quote to me. I interpret section 3 to basically deny me the opportunity to open carry in Washington as a non-resident alien.

I have been e-mailing back and forth with Desiree at the Department of Licensing about the situation. So far my chances seem bleak for any form of carry in your state, unless I am actually out hunting in the wilderness. I am trying a few long shots with her and am waiting to hear back, but for anyone reading this, it is very unlikely a Canadian can carry in WA without first getting an alien firearms license and then applying for a CPL which the alien firearms license would allow you to get. So on that note the place we visit is actually a property the in-laws own so I am trying to figure out if I can use that to get an alien firearms license. I will update the thread when I find out.

EMNofSeattle

Look at RCW 9.41.175 (3)

RCW 9.41.175

kinda sounds like what I said in a post made hours before yours.

Zenov

And the Final Ruling

So After im assuming i frustrated desiree she passed it off to Amy here. As you can see in the bottom line it answers my question.

Good Afternoon Matt,

To be eligible to qualify for an aliens firearms license, you would have to be a non-resident alien residing in Washington and have a passport, visa and either a valid hunting license for Washington or proof that you are a member of a sport shooting club. There is no exception to the law for Canadians to apply for an aliens firearms license without first having a visa.

A Canadian citizen can only carry and possess a firearm in Washington only for the purposes of sporting shooting or hunting.

Thank you,

Amy Srsen
Firearms Unit
Business & Professions Division
Department of Licensing
(360) 664-6616
firearms@dol.wa.gov

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
EMO I was responding to this post, were you left out section 3, which in your post is supporting that it's legal for a Canadian to legally carry with no restrictions for carry.

RCW 9.41.175
(2) A citizen of Canada may carry or possess any firearm so long as he or she possesses:
It appears that a citizen of Canada may legally possess a firearm so long as they legally entered the country.
of course if the Canadian is carrying a pistol they legally brought into the country from Canada, s/he seems to need to keep the import paperwork handy. If they're carrying a gun they borrowed in the US then it seems they're subject to the same requirements as any other Washingtonians, although I don't think a non-resident canadian can get a CPL

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I had to revise my post here for the requirement to obtain a Visa and the presumption that you will immigrate to the U.S.
Qualifying for a Visitor Visa
There are specific requirements which must be met by applicants to qualify for a visitor visa under provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The consular officer at the embassy or consulate will determine whether you qualify for the visa.

The presumption in the law is that every visitor visa applicant is an intending immigrant. Therefore, applicants for visitor visas must overcome this presumption by demonstrating that:

The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;
That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States;
Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and
That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties that will insure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Good Afternoon Matt,

To be eligible to qualify for an aliens firearms license, you would have to be a NON-RESIDENT alien RESIDING in Washington and have a passport, visa and either a valid hunting license for Washington or proof that you are a member of a sport shooting club. There is no exception to the law for Canadians to apply for an aliens firearms license without first having a visa.

A Canadian citizen can only carry and possess a firearm in Washington only for the purposes of sporting shooting or hunting.

Thank you,

Amy Srsen

So how exactly is a person a non-resident if they are residing here? This makes no sense.

Last edited:

Zenov

So how exactly is a person a non-resident if they are residing here? This makes no sense.

Ya it's a little bit confusing. The long and short of it though is I can't carry out and about AT ALL no matter what I do unless I reside in WA for more than 3 weeks in a row, in which case I can apply for a visa and get the alien firearms license. This is not going to happen so I just go about not carrying.

Could I open carry and get away with it? Probably, people will just assume I am a resident. But I try my hardest never to break the law. Especially when visiting another country and doubly when it involves something as serious as firearms. So I just won't do it.

hermannr

Thank you for the link. However I believe the alien firearms license is ONLY if you want to purchase a firearm in WA state. I will try and find more info on this tomorrow (after some sleep). My understanding is I can bring my Ruger SR9 once I have an accepted/signed ATF Form 6NIA and a WA state hunting license. Perhaps we could get some more thoughts/info on this if you all would be so kind? Thanks again leitung.

Edit: Found this at the linked website:
Who doesn’t need an alien firearms license?

A permanent resident alien (immigrant alien) with a permanent resident card (green card).
A citizen of Canada or a non-immigrant alien not residing in Washington, who is hunting or participating in trade shows or shooting events while visiting or vacationing here.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faalienfaq.html

So that covers that question.

Hej Zenov! Things for Canadians are different than for most other visitors. I am of the opinion, (Based on the RCW's involved) that if a Canadian comes to the US and goes hiking, hunting etc, owns a vacation property..they can possess a firearm (pistol or rifle) Please note the part I bolded

RCW 9.41.175: Alien possession of firearms — Possession without license — Conditions.

(1) A nonimmigrant alien, who is not a resident of Washington or a citizen of Canada, may carry or possess any firearm without having first obtained an alien firearm license if the nonimmigrant alien possesses (there is more, but it is not applicable to Canadians)

then for Canadians only:

"(2) A citizen of Canada may carry or possess any firearm so long as he or she possesses:

(3) For purposes of subsections (1) and (2) of this section, the firearms may only be possessed for the purpose of using them in the hunting of game while such persons are in the act of hunting, or while on a hunting trip, or while such persons are competing in a bona fide trap or skeet shoot or any other organized contest where rifles, pistols, or shotguns are used. Nothing in this section shall be construed to allow aliens to hunt or fish in this state without first having obtained a regular hunting or fishing license."

One of the big things with Canadians is they do not need a visa to be legally in the US. That makes a lot of difference with the Feds. If you are from a country that we require a visa from, Federal Law comes into play.

Now, my suggestion? If you have a property on Lake Osoyoos, join the gun club in Tonasket, and you will have that base covered. Club dues are $25 a year. $5 a shoot if you compete, nothing more if you just use the facilities.

I am not sure how you rectify the conflict between RCW 9.41.175(3) with RCW 9.41.060(8) "Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;"

May I add: the Okanogan Co Sheriff is very carry friendly, OC is legal under the state constitution...the state constitution article 1 section 24 states "SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

I believe that "individual citizen" has been defined as those here legally, not necessarily a born or naturalized US Citizen. It was defined in the court case that ended with the modified RCW 9.41.175. That you have a vacation home here is only in your favor.

I am also a Canadian by birth, however I naturalized in 1970 so the laws back then were a bit different, Why don't you come on up and visit. I live up on the hill just south of Swanson Mill Road..about 15 miles from Lake Osoyoos.

Last edited:

Zenov

Hej Zenov! Things for Canadians are different than for most other visitors. I am of the opinion, (Based on the RCW's involved) that if a Canadian comes to the US and goes hiking, hunting etc, owns a vacation property..they can possess a firearm (pistol or rifle) Please note the part I bolded

RCW 9.41.175: Alien possession of firearms — Possession without license — Conditions.

(1) A nonimmigrant alien, who is not a resident of Washington or a citizen of Canada, may carry or possess any firearm without having first obtained an alien firearm license if the nonimmigrant alien possesses (there is more, but it is not applicable to Canadians)

then for Canadians only:

"(2) A citizen of Canada may carry or possess any firearm so long as he or she possesses:

(3) For purposes of subsections (1) and (2) of this section, the firearms may only be possessed for the purpose of using them in the hunting of game while such persons are in the act of hunting, or while on a hunting trip, or while such persons are competing in a bona fide trap or skeet shoot or any other organized contest where rifles, pistols, or shotguns are used. Nothing in this section shall be construed to allow aliens to hunt or fish in this state without first having obtained a regular hunting or fishing license."

One of the big things with Canadians is they do not need a visa to be legally in the US. That makes a lot of difference with the Feds. If you are from a country that we require a visa from, Federal Law comes into play.

Now, my suggestion? If you have a property on Lake Osoyoos, join the gun club in Tonasket, and you will have that base covered. Club dues are $25 a year. $5 a shoot if you compete, nothing more if you just use the facilities.

I am not sure how you rectify the conflict between RCW 9.41.175(3) with RCW 9.41.060(8) "Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;"

May I add: the Okanogan Co Sheriff is very carry friendly, OC is legal under the state constitution...the state constitution article 1 section 24 states "SECTION 24 RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

I believe that "individual citizen" has been defined as those here legally, not necessarily a born or naturalized US Citizen. It was defined in the court case that ended with the modified RCW 9.41.175. That you have a vacation home here is only in your favor.

I am also a Canadian by birth, however I naturalized in 1970 so the laws back then were a bit different, Why don't you come on up and visit. I live up on the hill just south of Swanson Mill Road..about 15 miles from Lake Osoyoos.

Thank you for the info. it is not MY vacation home it is the in-laws so i don't think that would help me much. It really is RCW 9.41.175(3) that I am having a hard time working out. If I have my WA hunting lisence would I not be able to be considered "on a hunting trip" for all intents and purposes at all times? It does not specify in the act of hunting. I wonder if i was to visit the Okanogan Co Sheriff and get his/her ok in writing to OC if that would satisfy the local law enforcement. Something to think about i suppose. Not that Oroville is a large city or anything. In all likely hood my biggest OC encounters there would be with vacationing Canadians.

I would be more than happy to come and visit. I generally make my first trip there at the end of May. You wouldn't happen to know the Okanogan Sheriff would you? We could go visit them together!! Ha just kidding. I may look at going the route of perhaps at least phoning them.

Edit: Interesting note here. From the Washington state legislature here is there complete concealed pistol license laws. I noticed that the very first section notes something interesting which I have bolded. Infact in the whole of the laws I can't find anything requiring one to be a citizen. Could be worth a visit to Sheriff Frank T Rogers.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Thank you for the info. it is not MY vacation home it is the in-laws so i don't think that would help me much. It really is RCW 9.41.175(3) that I am having a hard time working out. If I have my WA hunting lisence would I not be able to be considered "on a hunting trip" for all intents and purposes at all times? It does not specify in the act of hunting. I wonder if i was to visit the Okanogan Co Sheriff and get his/her ok in writing to OC if that would satisfy the local law enforcement. Something to think about i suppose. Not that Oroville is a large city or anything. In all likely hood my biggest OC encounters there would be with vacationing Canadians.

I would be more than happy to come and visit. I generally make my first trip there at the end of May. You wouldn't happen to know the Okanogan Sheriff would you? We could go visit them together!! Ha just kidding. I may look at going the route of perhaps at least phoning them.

Edit: Interesting note here. From the Washington state legislature here is there complete concealed pistol license laws. I noticed that the very first section notes something interesting which I have bolded. Infact in the whole of the laws I can't find anything requiring one to be a citizen. Could be worth a visit to Sheriff Frank T Rogers.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

do you help your in-laws maintain it? has you "in-law" ever given you even one US Dollar to help maintain the vacation house? will they "pay you" to help with that? you need to enter the United States to engage in that work, but live in Canada.

Voila!

you now intend to work temporarily in the United States and may qualify for a non-resident visa! However it appears you will need some kind of skill or trade with license... so if you're a plumber or carpenter you have a chance at this of course this is paperwork intensive and unlikely to succeed however

*Note, I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice please do not base your future actions on anything I've said without speaking to an attorney skilled in US immigration law.

Last edited:

hermannr

I had to revise my post here for the requirement to obtain a Visa and the presumption that you will immigrate to the U.S.

Visitors from Canada do not need a visa to enter the country, prior to the changes since 9/11 they did not even need a passport, and even now, they only need the passport to get across the border. There are no entry documents required (unless you are temporarily bringing in a a firearm)

When you read the laws as concerne entry and firearms, you have to read very carefully. There are two seperate sets of rules. One for Canadians and the EU, another set for everyone that does need a visa just to visit.

EMNofSeattle

Visitors from Canada do not need a visa to enter the country, prior to the changes since 9/11 they did not even need a passport, and even now, they only need the passport to get across the border. There are no entry documents required (unless you are temporarily bringing in a a firearm)

When you read the laws as concerne entry and firearms, you have to read very carefully. There are two seperate sets of rules. One for Canadians and the EU, another set for everyone that does need a visa just to visit.

I don't get why canadians even have separate rules at all. If It were all up to me I'd issue WA CPLs to any canadian citizen without a visa.
Canada is a similar enough country in terms of criminal justice and culture, and economics, I see no issue with a Canadian carrying a gun in the United States.

The problem is you have highlighted "while on a hunting TRIP" is there any court rulings that clarify what that means? I'm sure Okanogan County doesn't care, but if our canadian friend goes to Whatcom County where Rob has had all sorts of trouble, or in Kitsap County where I live and the Prosecuting Attorney is an Anti-gun zealot I worry that he may be put through the wringer if he tries this. and certainly lose his gun, and what effect would that have on his candian licenses?

Some Get Rapgood on line 1 STAT

I'll pm Rap and see if he'll answer me and what he Thinks

badkarma

Sorry. My brain started hurting. Just one question.

Can a Canadian come to Washington and Open Carry? Yes, No or Only if.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

When you read the laws concerning what qualifies someone from Canada to obtain a alien firearms license they need to be seeking immigration status which requires a visa.

How to get your license: Alien firearms license
Requirements

To get an alien firearms license, you must meet all of the following requirements:

Be in the United States legally (passport and visa).
Be a temporary resident alien of Washington State (visa).
Have no pending trial, appeal, or sentencing on a charge that would prohibit you from having a license.
Have no outstanding warrants for any charge, from any court.
Have no court order or injunction against possessing a firearm.
Have never been adjudicated mentally defective or incompetent to manage your own affairs.
Have never been committed to a mental institution.
Have no felony convictions.
Within the past year, haven’t been an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, depressants, stimulants, narcotics, or any other controlled substance.
Haven’t been convicted of 3 or more violations of Washington’s firearms laws within any 5-year period.
Haven’t been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces.
Aren’t currently subject to a court order restraining you from harassing, stalking, or threatening your child, an intimate partner, or the child of an intimate partner.
Have no convictions for any of the following crimes committed by one family member against another:
Assault in the fourth degree
Coercion
Stalking
Reckless Endangerment
Criminal Trespass in the first degree
Violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from the residence

RCW 9.41.171
Alien possession of firearms — Requirements — Penalty.

It is a class C felony for any person who is not a citizen of the United States to carry or possess any firearm, unless the person: (1) Is a lawful permanent resident; (2) has obtained a valid alien firearm license pursuant to RCW 9.41.173; or (3) meets the requirements of RCW 9.41.175.

NOTE FORM FOR ATF LOCATED HERE, note questions 14 and 15

(2) A citizen of Canada may carry or possess any firearm so long as he or she possesses:

Clearly unless he wants to become an alien immigrant or non alien immigrant or compete in a shooting competition or hunting trip with a hunting license it is not going to happen.

Last edited:

Zenov

When you read the laws concerning what qualifies someone from Canada to obtain a alien firearms license they need to be seeking immigration status which requires a visa.

RCW 9.41.171
Alien possession of firearms — Requirements — Penalty.

It is a class C felony for any person who is not a citizen of the United States to carry or possess any firearm, unless the person: (1) Is a lawful permanent resident; (2) has obtained a valid alien firearm license pursuant to RCW 9.41.173; or (3) meets the requirements of RCW 9.41.175.

NOTE FORM FOR ATF LOCATED HERE, note questions 14 and 15

Clearly unless he wants to become an alien immigrant or non alien immigrant or compete in a shooting competition or hunting trip with a hunting license it is not going to happen.

Dave. I agree with your final statement. The only question remaining is: If I have a WA state hunting license, could the case be made that I can "permanently" be considered "On a hunting TRIP"?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Dave. I agree with your final statement. The only question remaining is: If I have a WA state hunting license, could the case be made that I can "permanently" be considered "On a hunting TRIP"?

I feel that would clearly be outside of the definition of being on a hunting trip lol and I think you feel that as well.
As a hunting season is a specific duration of time and location as well.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

That begs the question...Is there a hunting season open during the time of your visit? The hunting license spans a time frame longer than the seasons.