• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Took my CHP class today... Not all good

HeroHog

Me, the wife and a friend all took the CHP class at Shooters USA in Bossier yesterday given by Bossier officer Russell Cox and I was very happy with it right up the point where someone, not one of us, brought up open carry and Officer Cox stated: "Open Carry IS legal BUT, if we get a man with a gun call you WILL BE ARRESTED FOR DISTURBING THE PEACE." I choked but kept my mouth shut. That wasn't the time and place to call him on it.

The only new info I garnered was that he said you couldn't carry in a hospital because it was against the law to carry where the infirm were. This is a new one on me and one I will investigate. NOTE: I haven't found a thing supporting this!

The other was that it was illegal to carry ANYWHERE with controlled access (metal detector and/or frisk) such as at a sporting event, that being the sole criteria. Again, I want to see the cite for this one. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I thought I was up on the laws and this is the first I have heard of this. NOTE: I haven't found a thing supporting this!

And finally, I will leave you with this gem from the class: "By having a CHP, you have given the police Probable Cause to search you!"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Trouble maker - you dare to question the credibility of an officer's statements. :lol:

Doubt that you'll find anything to support his contentions, but have fun looking. You and others will benfit from your efforts.

BTW - missed you at Lobby Day in Va.

Contrarian

CHP class stupidity

@ Herohog:

"...and Officer Cox stated: "Open Carry IS legal BUT, if we get a man with a gun call you WILL BE ARRESTED FOR DISTURBING THE PEACE."

Have him write it on the board, underline the first four words. Then strike out the remainder.

If it's legal, it's legal.

You hear this from their mouth and wonder where the Heck the brain is at that moment.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Not good. This LEO is attempting to intimidate (thru color of law) an Open Carrier before they even hit the street. Talk about a preemptive strike. If I were close, I would take the course just to video this man. The not so veiled threat at the end of the class was great. A fine representative of a governmental official.
At some time this morning I will have to pee. I will do that in officer russell cox's name.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Who sanctions this class as meeting the state requirement to get a CHP? Contact them and ask if these "facts" are part of the approved curriculum. Contact the Chief of Police/Sheriff and ask if it is in fact policy to arrest on sight for Disturbing the Peace. Also ask him for "Brady information" regarding Officer Russell Cox. ("Brady info" is documentation of the times and cases where an officer has been caught telling other than the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. It's what lawyers cite when discrediting LEO as witnesses. You do not need to be a lawyer or involved in a court case to get it. You might, just for giggles, request it using the state's FOIA procedures.)

If you find out that any of the statements/assertions are not approved parts of the CHP curriculum, not only report him to the agency that oversees that activity, but report him to the state's law enforcement standards agency - they will be very interested in his "instructing" outside the curriculum and outside the law as it is written. You could also drop a note to the District Attorney's office, mentioning your concern that Officer Russell Cox might be attempting to intimidate citizens of the Parish/State under the color of law.

And finally, you could find out where his mother lives and tell her he is being a big poopy-head. (But I'll bet she already knows that.)

stay safe.

Wyldhog

Openly carrying DOES NOT meet any of the definitions defined in Louisiana title 14 statutes regarding disturbing the peace:

§103. Disturbing the peace

A. Disturbing the peace is the doing of any of the following in such manner as would foreseeably disturb or alarm the public:

(1) Engaging in a fistic encounter; or

(2) Addressing any offensive, derisive, or annoying words to any other person who is lawfully in any street, or other public place; or call him by any offensive or derisive name, or make any noise or exclamation in his presence and hearing with the intent to deride, offend, or annoy him, or to prevent him from pursuing his lawful business, occupation, or duty; or

(3) Appearing in an intoxicated condition; or

(4) Engaging in any act in a violent and tumultuous manner by any three or more persons; or

(5) Holding of an unlawful assembly; or

(6) Interruption of any lawful assembly of people; or

(7) Intentionally engaging in any act or any utterance, gesture, or display designed to disrupt a funeral, funeral home viewing, funeral procession, wake, memorial service, or burial of a deceased person.

(8) Intentionally blocking, impeding, inhibiting, or in any other manner obstructing or interfering with access into or from any building or parking lot of a building in which a funeral, wake, memorial service, or burial is being conducted, or any burial plot or the parking lot of the cemetery in which a funeral, wake, memorial service, or burial is being conducted.

B.(1) Whoever commits the crime of disturbing the peace shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than ninety days, or both.

(2) Whoever commits the crime of disturbing the peace as provided in Paragraphs (A)(7) and (8) of this Section shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Last edited:

HeroHog

Shooting required:
3 sets, 5, 10 and 15 FEET. 5 rounds per set. Must be on the paper of a full size B-27 Shilouette target!!! Shooters with small mags only were required to fire 3 rounds per set...

FWIW, mine were all in the 10 ring but 2 flyers in the 9 (as the target was swinging from the muzzle blast!), most were bulls with a new gun I fired for the very first time (Glock 17... yes, I am a convert... I'm so ashamed!)

Last edited:

HeroHog

The lady in the lane to my right was scaring the heck outta me bouncing rounds of the range floor 5 to 10 feet out and then them ricocheting them off the freakin ceiling!

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
And finally, you could find out where his mother lives and tell her he is being a big poopy-head. (But I'll bet she already knows that.)

stay safe.

This is Truth. Call his Mom, i like that.
"Ma'am, I am a regular joe and your son acted like an a$$hat in public and you should know about it." Do it in the local paper. Write an "opinion" and tell her he son is acting like a $hit and needs a good spanking. We should do this to all of them. "Hey Woman, you raised a butthead and it's your fault.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
These classes have no value ...

Without these classes you cannot get your CHP in Louisiana.

While Herohog and wife are long-time OC advocates and practitioners, they also understand that there are certain times when CC is either more practical or the only option permitted.

If davidmcbeth is willing to avoid places where he would be restricted (socially or legally) from OCing, then that is his decision. He should not be imposing his values on others, especially those he does not know and whose circumstances he is not aware of. If he insists on doing so, I will be forced to call his mother, too.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Shooting required:
3 sets, 5, 10 and 15 FEET. 5 rounds per set. Must be on the paper of a full size B-27 Shilouette target!!! Shooters with small mags only were required to fire 3 rounds per set...

FWIW, mine were all in the 10 ring but 2 flyers in the 9 (as the target was swinging from the muzzle blast!), most were bulls with a new gun I fired for the very first time (Glock 17... yes, I am a convert... I'm so ashamed!)

I am disappointed to hear you have gone over to the dark side, even though I hear they have cookies.:lol:

I have a mental image of you doing that course of fire with your old .357M - you would set the targets on fire, claim 10X for all shots, and dare anyone to prove you wrong.

BTW, did you go for the ADA accomodations or do the course of fire like real people? (We need video of you drawing from your murse from the seated position.:uhoh:)

stay safe.

MKEgal

skidmark said:
Contact the Chief of Police/Sheriff and ask if it is in fact policy to arrest on sight for [not] Disturbing the Peace.
Since we can no longer use FTFY, I'll say "is this what you meant to say"? ;)

§103. Disturbing the peace
A. Disturbing the peace is the doing of any of the following in such manner as would foreseeably disturb or alarm the public:
(1) Engaging in a fistic encounter
WTH does that mean?? :eek: Fighting? I think I have a pretty decent vocabulary & that's one I've never seen/heard.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Since we can no longer use FTFY, I'll say "is this what you meant to say"? ;)

WTH does that mean?? :eek: Fighting? I think I have a pretty decent vocabulary & that's one I've never seen/heard.

fist·ic
pron.gif
(f
ibreve.gif
s
prime.gif
t
ibreve.gif
k) adj. Of or relating to boxing or fighting with the fists.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

MikeTheGreek

The owner of the establishment where I took my CPL class, was a "reserve sheriff". He kept telling me that OCing was disturbing the peace, and disorderly conduct. Then told me if enough people made calls about me OCing, then I'd be arrested. uhhh...what?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The owner of the establishment where I took my CPL class, was a "reserve sheriff". He kept telling me that OCing was disturbing the peace, and disorderly conduct. Then told me if enough people made calls about me OCing, then I'd be arrested. uhhh...what?

If that took place in your home state of Michigan, then it is off topic for this thread which is soley about Louisiana.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If that took place in your home state of Michigan, then it is off topic for this thread which is soley about Louisiana.

Not really OT..Just saying that apparently in multiple states, people think that OC is a reason to charge someone for disorderly or disturbing the peace.

Will let it pass if this distraction is not persued.