• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle gun buyback get’s jacked! Turns into a gun show!

Freedom1Man

http://dcxposed.com/2013/01/27/seattle-gun-buyback-gets-jacked-turns-into-a-damn-gun-show-lol/
http://republicbroadcasting.org/index.php?cmd=news.article&articleID=4752

Police officers in Seattle, Washington held their first gun buyback program in 20 years this weekend, underneath interstate 5, and soon found that private gun collectors were working the large crowd as little makeshift gun shows began dotting the parking lot and sidewalks. Some even had “cash for guns” signs prominently displayed.

Police stood in awe as gun enthusiasts and collectors waved wads of cash for the guns being held by those standing in line for the buyback program.

People that had arrived to trade in their weapons for $100 or $200 BuyBack gift cards($100 for handguns, shotguns and rifles, and $200 for assault weapons) soon realized that gun collectors were there and paying top dollar for collectible firearms. So, as the line for the chump cards got longer and longer people began to jump ship and head over to the dealers.

But Schuyler Taylor, a previous gun retailer attending the event in hopes of buying weapons, asked “Why not offer them cash versus a gift card? I’m still taking the guns off the streets; they’re just going in my safe.”

People were reportedly, at one point, jumping out of vehicles whilst sitting in traffic – making on the spot deals with the gun buyers.

skeith5

Truth! But I didn't see people paying "TOP" dollar... I hope this doesn't change the atmosphere for the next buy back...

Scott

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Seattle PD and the Buy Back proponents should invite gun enthusiast to the next one, would it not get more guns off the streets from those who do not want them or know how to properly care for them?
Just think of the thousands of firearms could be taken out of the hands that should not or do not want them!

skeith5

Seattle PD and the Buy Back proponents should invite gun enthusiast to the next one, would it not get more guns off the streets from those who do not want them or know how to properly care for them?
Just think of the thousands of firearms could be taken out of the hands that should not or do not want them!

That's not a terrible idea... make a SPD sanctioned firearm swap meet where people can sell their guns to people that have had background checks. the good stuff goes to a good home and any junk left over can be recycled. Although I do enjoy the fact that I now have more firearms in my safe that I bought privately than what I bought at a gun store...

Scott

sharkey

Everytime you people do legal things like open carry, buy missle launchers, etc you give the anti's ammo. Just stop doing legal things so we can keep doing them.

/sarcasm

ETA, that's my new sig. :)

http://enumclaw.patch.com/articles/update-seattle-gun-buyback-nets-716-weapons

McGinn also addressed the fact that many individuals at the buyback event were buying and selling firearms among themselves—an observation he said points to the need for a universal background check law at the state or federal level. City police, he said, currently do not have the legal authority to stop private gun sales.

Last edited:

amlevin

Everytime you people do legal things like open carry, buy missle launchers, etc you give the anti's ammo. Just stop doing legal things so we can keep doing them.

/sarcasm

ETA, that's my new sig. :)

http://enumclaw.patch.com/articles/update-seattle-gun-buyback-nets-716-weapons

Don't expect the next Gun Buyback to be conducted in such an open venue. More likely than not it will be on a piece of property where the City can allow quick access to all cars and exclude those who want to buy. Something like a school parking lot or such.

Unfortunately, McGinn is just going to use the presence of all the "Buyers" to further his agenda.

BTW, preemption does allow for the City to restrict where guns can be bought or sold. Expect an "Emergency Ordinance" prior to the next buyback to at least prohibit the activity on City Sidewalks or other public areas like city parking lots.

Sometimes the best intentions don't yield the best results.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Don't expect the next Gun Buyback to be conducted in such an open venue. More likely than not it will be on a piece of property where the City can allow quick access to all cars and exclude those who want to buy. Something like a school parking lot or such.

Unfortunately, McGinn is just going to use the presence of all the "Buyers" to further his agenda.

BTW, preemption does allow for the City to restrict where guns can be bought or sold. Expect an "Emergency Ordinance" prior to the next buyback to at least prohibit the activity on City Sidewalks or other public areas like city parking lots.

Sometimes the best intentions don't yield the best results.

Don't Open Carry. McGinn will just use that to further his agenda.... sounds the same to me. Why stop doing what is legal? Where you there?

Seattle buy back program: No admission charge, and no WAC membership required. Winning! Thank you Mayor.

+1

theaero

WOW, Cannot believe what that article says. Every weapon they accepted was a usable weapon??? Bull****!!!!

Munkey Butt

The little pistol I bought of a wonderful elderly lady happened to be loaded and ready to rock and roll. So therefore I Kept a "Loaded Handgun" off the streets.

amlevin

Not quite. It allows the city to restrict commercial sales of guns.

(3)(a) Cities, towns, and counties may enact ordinances restricting the areas in their respective jurisdictions in which firearms may be sold, but, except as provided in (b) of this subsection, a business selling firearms may not be treated more restrictively than other businesses located within the same zone. An ordinance requiring the cessation of business within a zone shall not have a shorter grandfather period for businesses selling firearms than for any other businesses within the zone.

The first sentence will be what they cite.

Check this article:

http://heraldnet.com/article/201301...s02#Man-guilty-of-illegal-assault-rifle-sales

All that needs to be done is for someone to consider you a "dealer", even if all you do is "buy".

It might not be a bad idea for all those who attend Seattle's next buyback with the intent to buy to make sure that their attorney's phone number is current. There's far too much pressure on the Mayor to prevent what he views as an open gun bazaar. Doesn't matter what anyone here thinks, he'll be doing everything he can to derail the "buyer's" plans for the next one.

One thing for sure, either way, one side of the issue will be "whizzing in the wind" (defined as "to waste time trying to achieve something that cannot be achieved ).

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
(3)(a) Cities, towns, and counties may enact ordinances restricting the areas in their respective jurisdictions in which firearms may be sold, but, except as provided in (b) of this subsection, a business selling firearms may not be treated more restrictively than other businesses located within the same zone. An ordinance requiring the cessation of business within a zone shall not have a shorter grandfather period for businesses selling firearms than for any other businesses within the zone.

The first sentence will be what they cite.

Check this article:

http://heraldnet.com/article/201301...s02#Man-guilty-of-illegal-assault-rifle-sales

All that needs to be done is for someone to consider you a "dealer", even if all you do is "buy".

It might not be a bad idea for all those who attend Seattle's next buyback with the intent to buy to make sure that their attorney's phone number is current. There's far too much pressure on the Mayor to prevent what he views as an open gun bazaar. Doesn't matter what anyone here thinks, he'll be doing everything he can to derail the "buyer's" plans for the next one.

One thing for sure, either way, one side of the issue will be "whizzing in the wind" (defined as "to waste time trying to achieve something that cannot be achieved ).

One of the key points in RCW 9.41.300 is that it must be an enacted ordinance and then they must prove you are operating a business.

amlevin

One of the key points in RCW 9.41.300 is that it must be an enacted ordinance and then they must prove you are operating a business.

You may want to re-think that last part. Didn't you mean that YOU will have to prove you weren't? That would be more like how the prosecutors work.

An example would be the dope peddler that was caught with more than what the Police officer thought he would need for "personal use". He then is charged with "intent to distribute". This guy now has to prove in court that he didn't have the intent.

In reality the "innocent until proven guilty" only works in theory.

BTW, how long do you think it would take the City Council to pass an "Emergency Ordinance", public safety issue and all you know? My money would be on something being done before their next buyback. You also have to take into consideration that the Legislature is in session. Hang on to your "doo-dads". who knows what they're capable of.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
You may want to re-think that last part. Didn't you mean that YOU will have to prove you weren't? That would be more like how the prosecutors work.

An example would be the dope peddler that was caught with more than what the Police officer thought he would need for "personal use". He then is charged with "intent to distribute". This guy now has to prove in court that he didn't have the intent.

In reality the "innocent until proven guilty" only works in theory.

BTW, how long do you think it would take the City Council to pass an "Emergency Ordinance", public safety issue and all you know? My money would be on something being done before their next buyback. You also have to take into consideration that the Legislature is in session. Hang on to your "doo-dads". who knows what they're capable of.

Yes the State must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed an illegal act.
For now they have nothing to charge you with and yes we know they may attempt such an ordinance in the future but I hope our discussion take them down this road as it will be another battle in court.

The antis are bombarding gun issues in Olympia and hopefully will not be able to restrict the law abiding.

skeith5

I think one reason they haven't announced the date for another buy back is because they are trying to plan a better way to stop us...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

amlevin

The antis are bombarding gun issues in Olympia and hopefully will not be able to restrict the law abiding.

Rest assured, new restrictions will come out of this session. At the very least, expect background checks for at least all gun show purchases. Who knows, maybe even for those who buy at "Gun Buybacks".

With a little luck, maybe the CPL will be enough under State Law even though those who have one still have to go through the NICS process when buying from a Dealer.

Just for the sake of discussion, can anyone say that ALL those who were offering "Cash for Guns" at the buyback were all "Legal"?
That there weren't any there buying guns even though they have something in their record that would disqualify them in an NICS check??? Unless you knew everyone there, how would you know? After all, what would keep someone who couldn't go into a shop to buy a gun from just standing out with the crowd and picking up one or two?

Last edited:

sharkey

Stupid criminals exist no doubt, but I feel it would be unlikely one would purposely operate so close to the police.