• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Policy

arc37

Upon being turned away from Bass Pro yesterday I called their corporate office today. I was advised that the Management on duty this weekend had gotten bad information and Bass Pro has always been and will always be Pro Open carry. They were very apologetic about the incident and I guess I should always allow one mistake so I will be going back to Bass Pro. It was a very pleasant conversation.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Morgan and I just met at Bass Pro OKC and met with Mike McClure, General Manager.

Mike apologized profusely for the misunderstanding. According to him, one employee told another employee that there was a new policy, and word spread among the employees. He assures me that the misinformation has been corrected, and that open carriers are very welcome in Bass Pro.

Bass Pro OKC was very supportive of OKOCA in the days before Nov 1, and even distributed our pamphlets that contained a Q&A about the new law and about the practice of open carry, so I expected there was some misunderstanding.

After our meeting, Mike sent me the following email:
Bryan

I appreciate you taking the time to visit with me today. Again, please let me apologize for the inconvenience that you and your fellow members experienced in our store. I would like to reiterate that what you experience was not the norm. We do allow the carrying of firearms, both openly and concealed in our store. This was just an example of a miscommunication on our part. We do ask that if you intend to remove the firearm from your holster for work or holster fitting, that it be cleared prior to doing so. We respect every person’s rights to carry, and are proud supporters of the 2nd Amendment. We are also proud supporters and partner regularly with both the NRA and FNRA. Please let me know if we can ever be of service.

Thanks

Mike

Mike McClure
General Manager
Bass Pro Shops
Oklahoma City, OK

Office 405 218 5201
Fax 405 270 6430

Brandon Harwell

Had a similar incident happen to me in the academy on I240. Guy came up and said, you know you are suppose to check that at the front right? I asked what he was talking about. He said, your gun sir. I asked where that was posted and he said the guy up front was suppose to tell me when i came in. Really, your going to ask me to pull a loaded weapon and hand it to someone. Right! He asked that i go back to the front and do so. Told him no, and if he was going to make me that he would have to ask that i leave. Interestingly, he said I'll get back to you. You do that. My kids and i shopped around for a while, wanting him to come back and make me leave the store leaving all my merchandise behind a well. He did and polity told me, you are fine sir.

hrdware

Had a similar incident happen to me in the academy on I240. Guy came up and said, you know you are suppose to check that at the front right? I asked what he was talking about. He said, your gun sir. I asked where that was posted and he said the guy up front was suppose to tell me when i came in. Really, your going to ask me to pull a loaded weapon and hand it to someone. Right! He asked that i go back to the front and do so. Told him no, and if he was going to make me that he would have to ask that i leave. Interestingly, he said I'll get back to you. You do that. My kids and i shopped around for a while, wanting him to come back and make me leave the store leaving all my merchandise behind a well. He did and polity told me, you are fine sir.

The Academy policy he was quoting was based upon his assumption that you had brought your firearm in to be taken to the gun counter for work or shipment back to the manufacturer. In this case, the firearm has to be checked at the door and an employee will carry it back to the firearms counter for you. This policy is posted on the doors. This policy also has nothing to do with the lawful carry of a concealed or unconcealed firearm carried for legal self-defense purposes.