• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under 21 Non-Resident Permit Reciprocity

connorkeef

Hey everyone,

I posted this same thing over on OSA but everything kind of gets buried over there. Thought I'd post it over here as well. I know that I may not be able to open carry because the Maine permit is a Concealed Carry permit. Anyway, here it goes:

Just took my OK SDA course today (and am using it to satisfy my Maine CCW training requirement). I have read up quite a bit on the law for Oklahoma by reading the SDA law book. However, after looking at handgunlaw.us, I found the following...

Oklahoma Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor. (Must be 21 Y/O)

No where in the SDA Law Book does it state that permit holders from other states must be 21. Handgunlaws.us is also the only place that has this. I've already been corresponding with them and they are also actively pursuing an answer.

Thoughts?

hrdware

I contacted OSBI about this very issue a couple of years ago as someone from this forum was going to be visiting OK and was under 21.

At that time, OSBI (who can not give legal advice) believed the individual would not be in violation of any law.

I also believe someone under 21 with an out of state permit would not be in violation of the law. The reciprocity statute says OK will honor any states permit. It makes no mention of an age requirement.

As far as open carry goes, any license from another state will allow you to carry either open or concealed in OK.

Last edited:

connorkeef

I don't really think any LEOs would give me a hard time about open carry. For me, it will be one of those deals where I will open carry where I don't think there will be a problem and conceal where I do.

pickupm

I tend to agree with the above post. I am in no way able to give you legal advice, but as I understand it: There can not be a crime unless there is a law in place to prevent it.

connorkeef

On another note, does anyone get tired of the OSBI replying to everything with "We cannot provide legal advice. Please consult an attorney"?

hrdware

On another note, does anyone get tired of the OSBI replying to everything with "We cannot provide legal advice. Please consult an attorney"?

Not really. OSBI is not a legal organization and can not give legal advice so it is CYA for them. They do have a legal department but they are not the ones that will prosecute, individual district attorney's will interpret the law how they will and prosecute as they see fit.