• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hunting Rifle and Home Defense Shotgun

amtilton17

Hey guys, I am looking to invest in a good, reliable hunting rifle and home defense shotgun. Fyi, not interested in any of the tactical stuff. I am looking to spend around $1500 total, hopefully including some ammo. What are some of ya'lls suggestions? Thanks.

SFCRetired

The Maverick Model 88 is a fine little shotgun and not expensive at all. It is made under license from Mossberg and is pretty good quality.

The Mossberg 500 is also a fine weapon and, again, not that expensive.

You are on your own about rifles. I would say, though, that it depends on what kind of shooting you want to do with it.

My top choices would be the M1 Garand (for purely sentimental reasons) and the Remington Model 700. This old soldier prefers larger caliber and somewhat heavier rifles.

Barnett3006

Check out a Savage 10 or 110 for a great hunting rifle that won't break the bank.

With the right bullet and shot placement the 30-06 Springfield cartridge is good to take any large game in North America. It has also been around for so long that you are pretty much guaranteed you will be able to get ammo for it, lately it is the only ammo that is consistently available in my area thanks to panic buying. Just something to consider for your game getter...

The above suggestions on HD shotties are good and would be mine as well.

amtilton17

Check out a Savage 10 or 110 for a great hunting rifle that won't break the bank.

With the right bullet and shot placement the 30-06 Springfield cartridge is good to take any large game in North America. It has also been around for so long that you are pretty much guaranteed you will be able to get ammo for it, lately it is the only ammo that is consistently available in my area thanks to panic buying. Just something to consider for your game getter...

The above suggestions on HD shotties are good and would be mine as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Seems to be a solid consensus for the mossberg 500 and a savage 30-06. I'll let you know what happens at the gun show this weekend.

amtilton17

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Seems to be a solid consensus for the mossberg 500 and a savage 30-06. I'll let you know what happens at the gun show this weekend.

Hey ya'll. I ended up buying a Mossberg 500 field combo with the rifled barrel and smooth bore for slugs and shot, a Marlin .22 Magnum bolt action and a Remington 700 ADL .30-06. I think I'll be set for just about any situation. :lol:

mobiushky

Hey ya'll. I ended up buying a Mossberg 500 field combo with the rifled barrel and smooth bore for slugs and shot, a Marlin .22 Magnum bolt action and a Remington 700 ADL .30-06. I think I'll be set for just about any situation. :lol:

Can I just say that 28" barrel isn't going to be the best home defense option. They are a bit cumbersome to lug around the tight quarters of a house. If you have any thing left over, look for a factory 18.5" barrel. That way you have the lighter more maneuverable short barrel in the house, but when you go out to shoot clays or birds you can swap the 18" for the 28" barrel. Just a thought.

I just ended up going with 2 shotguns. The 28" for the field and the 18" next to the bed. But that's me.

DamonK

Haha, I was just going to say that you should have enough money after buying a mossy 500 and a remy 700 in 30-06 to buy a 22 as well!! Good job buddy. Now get that 28" barrel cut down to a nice and legal 18" and you'll be set. But do make sure that it's cut correctly. Otherwise you'll ruin it.

Oh yeah, now get ready to spend a few bucks on your scope. Don't cheap out. When it comes to glass, you get what you pay for big time.
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: